GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an IWay 500 and a sirrus Stratus4 on the bike connected by a Kennedy Dual AuxSet AD and was looking to eventually add a CellSet.
Heres the problem The IWay had died and wont respond to any touch screen functions and I have done the recommended cleaning the best I can. Do I continue to try and get Lowrance to repair it? It seems the RMA portion of the website has been down a while and I have not had time to stay on hold waiting on a CSR and pay 160-300 for them to fix it. Or do I go with a Garmin particually a ZUMO and replace the IWay? What costs will I be looking at to connect the Zumo and do away with the Iway connections what will I keep and what wont work as far as the Kennedy and I do want to be able to use the bluetooth for my cell phone and while I'm there can you connect 2 cell phones I have a personal and work phones both have bluetooth?. I like the larger screen of the IWay and because I have the Sirrus would it be best to wait on the Zumo 660 because of having to scrape up the money for this it will be after April anyway. So what do all you experts here think. What should stay and what should be replaced and is any of it worth anything if I could sell it?
Oh and BTW I have the IWay on one of Jon's dash mounts so what is involved in adapting it from IWay to Zumo I really like the mount.
Thanks in advance
Cableman
2002 Illusion Blue

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I think that Jon might be able to solve all of your issues. He's had success on the repairs and has all the parts it takes to make the GPS units work. He solved several issues that I was having with my Iway 500, and set me up with some new power for the Iway 600. He's that man!:lol:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
There's a lot of questions here - I'll try to answer what I can...

... The IWay had died and wont respond to any touch screen functions and I have done the recommended cleaning the best I can. Do I continue to try and get Lowrance to repair it?
This really depends on how much you value the concept of the iWay. If you enjoy the customization capability, large screen, etc you might be 'disappointed' with the Zumo.

What costs will I be looking at to connect the Zumo and do away with the Iway connections what will I keep and what wont work as far as the Kennedy and I do want to be able to use the bluetooth for my cell phone and while I'm there can you connect 2 cell phones I have a personal and work phones both have bluetooth?.
(wow - there are three questions in there)
I'm assuming that you have the iWay-specific device harness for the iWay - if so, you can replace it with the Zumo power/stereo/mic harness ($95) and adding the 'microphone integration kit' ($115) will allow you to use the cellphone features of the Zumo. I'm not sure if you can pair two phones at the same time to the Zumo - I know with my Bluetooth headset, I have to un-pair one phone before I can re-pair with the other. I'd have to try this with the Zumo...

... I like the larger screen of the IWay and because I have the Sirrus would it be best to wait on the Zumo 660 because of having to scrape up the money for this it will be after April anyway. So what do all you experts here think. What should stay and what should be replaced and is any of it worth anything if I could sell it?
Oh and BTW I have the IWay on one of Jon's dash mounts so what is involved in adapting it from IWay to Zumo I really like the mount.
Thanks in advance
Cableman
2002 Illusion Blue
I'm not sure about the integration requirements for the 660 since they haven't released any information on the motorcycle mount yet. Once they do, there may be a delay for Kennedy to get a new harness created for it.

If you've got the iWay attached to my mount using a RAM base, then you're ready to attach the Zumo to it in its place. You can also remove the RAM base and attach the Zumo cradle (usually with an extension plate to raise the unit up so that it doesn't block the view of the speedometer) directly to the mount if you want a more stable installation.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jon
First of all Thanks for the responce
What are my options for getting the Iway going or selling it as is (I Know who wants to buy a broken GPS ) lol
At first it was just the touch screen not responding and I could not get past the warning screen Now the screen does not display anything at all and I only get an audio pop when powering up
If its not economical to repair and the money would be better spent on an updated unit I do like the features of the Zumo 550 but dont like the smaller screen the IWay kinda spoills ya to being able to see it with my nearsighted eyes and altho still not as big as the IWay I think the 660 will be a better choice but would have liked the intergrated XM I reckon you can't have everything in one unit and my Sirrus Stratus seems to pickup better than the previous XM Roady XT I dont know how the one in the Zumo would be.
About my connections options from looking at the Kennedy Website it seems that to do what I want which is be able to listen to whatever I want from whatever source I want and still get GPS Prompts and Cell phone calls be it with AM/FM, Sat radio,MP3 from the GPS or even the addition someday of a Radar Detector I think I would need to get a CelSet MC/GPS3 use the current DualAuxADSet from the IWay use the current 1800 power harness and Aux harness and get a switch and Type II Intercom harness and the GPS harness for the 660 when available and all this should be somewhere around 250.00 and then the price of the 660 itself that most online retailers are showing at about 662.00
Do you know of cheaper alternatives like maybe the Mic Splitter I have heard of EdSets selling and would I get the same results or what wouldnt it do?
I appreceate yout opinions and time on this and I suppose I'm going to have to start saving up no mater what I end up doing.
Thanks again
Cableman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts