GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Canada (600 miles) this weekend to a Rally it was small but was having a good time. I have a yellow 2009 wing that I have been doing some powder coating on, in but what else but lime green. I look over and had about ten guys looking at my wheels, luggage rack and all the lights I have installed so of course I walked over to my bike. Then the largest (by far) guy said to me this yours I said yep and then he starts telling me how stupid it was to run a car tire. I listened to the whole insurance won’t pay, no contact with the road , going to kill my wife , be ready for a tire coming off the wheel and then the ” I WENT TO WING DING AND A GUY SHOWED WITH CUT OUTS HOW DANGERUS CAR TIRES ARE” So I smiled and said WOW thanks as I walked away. This guy would save the world if given enough bad information. I wanted to ask him what was going to happen when he went over the 410lb load limit (that was a for sure) or the Honda dealer seen his trailer hitch. But I told my wife I will learn to let this type of thing go unlike in the past when I would have went off. But later I got enjoyment out of letting him show his *&& so smiling and walking away was fun.

So my question is what do others do if spotted with a square tire?:eek:
Should I have told him I have a rear tire on the front? He would of fainted for sure!!!!

I have better than 100,000 miles on car tires with Zero problems I enjoy the higher load capability and the cooler temps I have measured and most of all no word of delamination. I run heavy, fast, Scrape pegs in turns and pull my wife’s heavy shopping cart all with a CAR TIRE????????

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Well, lemme see. I think the most appropriate thing to say is .... F$%& off! Seriously, as I am sure you are aware, you can't tell them anything...they know it all.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Thank you, have a nice day! BYE

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Well, lemme see. I think the most appropriate thing to say is .... F$%& off! Seriously, as I am sure you are aware, you can't tell them anything...they know it all.
:agree:then I would of start bike up burn some rubber and then say nope tire still on

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
I told 2 guys that I agreed with them and was totally against CTs on a bike and that the only reason I was running one was because it was safer and handled better and it was a run flat. They stated they didn't know there was any such thing as a run flat and were glad that I wasn't using a car tire. Oh well.

·
IronMan
17,820 Posts
first thing i ask is if they ever rode (any) bike with car tire on it if they say no i laugh at them n tell them there ignorant cause they just don't no better oh well i'll never go back to many pluses enjoy

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
The OP brings up a question I've wondered about too, has anyone, or know of anyone that has had trouble with their insurance company paying a claim on a bike running a CT? :shrug:

There is no law that I know of that says that you have to run a MT.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
The best one for me was as of June in NC .Fellow camper that was next to me for 2 days noticed I had a BMT on. He said " man you seem like a nice guy, you got to know better " ,,, " hope you got your life insurance payed up" my only reply was . Life insurance ??? I'm going go be dead ,why would I care :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
You are a better man than I. :oops:

I would have tried to calmly point out that he didn't have a clue what he talking about. I would have then started filling his head with facts and real life experiences to replace the ill-informed speculation that was in there before.

If that didn't work, I would invite him to go for a ride behind me. My experience has been that seeing how well it works will do wonders.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
You are a better man than I. :oops:

I would have tried to calmly point out that he didn't have a clue what he talking about. I would have then started filling his head with facts and real life experiences to replace the ill-informed speculation that was in there before.

If that didn't work, I would invite him to go for a ride behind me. My experience has been that seeing how well it works will do wonders.
I use to do that to naysayers ,but now I am sick of it. I just inform those that ask me because they are couroius . And use your tatics which work well for those with open mind. But those with attitude from get go, I have stopped wasting my time and ride off always scrapping pegs as leaving them :nojoke:

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
My take. If someone is sincere (any many, many have been) about the use, I'll take time to give them my opinions on the advantages. If it's some ignorant azzed BS'er trying to inform me, I tell them they don't have a dime in my bike, tires, or funeral expenses. I have found over the years the the curious far outnumber the ignorant. End of story.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
:agree: You can't argue with certain folks. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. LMAO

Best to just let them spew and laugh at them, the truth will set you free. A guy that used to be me would have stood toe to toe with them a few years ago, but I seem to like life better now days and let things roll.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
The OP brings up a question I've wondered about too, has anyone, or know of anyone that has had trouble with their insurance company paying a claim on a bike running a CT? :shrug:

There is no law that I know of that says that you have to run a MT.
John, I asked my insurance agent about this also. He told me that "we insure trucks and Jeeps that do not have the OEM tire/size on them, why should we not cover you with your tire choice?"

His concerns would have been "bald, or bad tire causing a problem" rather than tire choice.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
John, I asked my insurance agent about this also. He told me that "we insure trucks and Jeeps that do not have the OEM tire/size on them, why should we not cover you with your tire choice?"

His concerns would have been "bald, or bad tire causing a problem" rather than tire choice.
Kind of what I thought, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Yes I saw the "display" at Wing Ding. Here is what I posted in a thread a couple weeks ago:

They had a "a car tire will kill you" display at Wing Ding this year. They had a section of MT on a piece of rim and some sort of weak ass looking CT on a section of rim and a sign that said, "Which Tire Would You Trust" or some such thing. The guy at the booth had no clue what the CT was or anything else about it. Looked to me like it came off a '78 Vega for all I know.

I tried to debate the slug but he was so clueless it was a waste of time. I told him it would be a much more interesting and accurate display if they had a RF tire for the CT or even any tire that might actually be used on a GW. He just grinned sheepishly and agreed that yeah maybe so or something maybe whatever.

It's hard to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man and pointless arguing with someone who knows somebody that knows somebody that did something or other.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
For those that are so forward in their "rightness", I simply agree with them and say that they should leave the riding of such tires to us experienced professionals. ;)

Went to Canada (600 miles) this weekend to a Rally it was small but was having a good time. I have a yellow 2009 wing that I have been doing some powder coating on, in but what else but lime green. I look over and had about ten guys looking at my wheels, luggage rack and all the lights I have installed so of course I walked over to my bike. Then the largest (by far) guy said to me this yours I said yep and then he starts telling me how stupid it was to run a car tire. I listened to the whole insurance won’t pay, no contact with the road , going to kill my wife , be ready for a tire coming off the wheel and then the ” I WENT TO WING DING AND A GUY SHOWED WITH CUT OUTS HOW DANGERUS CAR TIRES ARE” So I smiled and said WOW thanks as I walked away. This guy would save the world if given enough bad information. I wanted to ask him what was going to happen when he went over the 410lb load limit (that was a for sure) or the Honda dealer seen his trailer hitch. But I told my wife I will learn to let this type of thing go unlike in the past when I would have went off. But later I got enjoyment out of letting him show his *&& so smiling and walking away was fun.

So my question is what do others do if spotted with a square tire?:eek:
Should I have told him I have a rear tire on the front? He would of fainted for sure!!!!

I have better than 100,000 miles on car tires with Zero problems I enjoy the higher load capability and the cooler temps I have measured and most of all no word of delamination. I run heavy, fast, Scrape pegs in turns and pull my wife’s heavy shopping cart all with a CAR TIRE????????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts