GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from a deep well socket and torque wrench for the lugnuts on the rear wheels, and normal screwdriver, needle nose pliers, etc. what do you all carry along if anything for tools? And when you take a trip even it it's for a day/weekend?

I don't need to buy anything, as I have 3 full sets of wrenches at home, spare torque wrenches, you name it. Just looking for some perspective here from all you who've been at it awhile.

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Well, I don't carry to much. I have my rope tire plugger, the little tool kit that Honda supplies, a couple of allen wrenches, a sharp knife, an air pump, Khar pm9, ten inches of coat hanger and a wire tie. If I need anything else I get my cell phone out and call Progressive and have them send the roadside service out.

Walt

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I'm like Fred H., in that I carry what I use to work on the bike. I do my own maint and if I need a tool from the tool box, I put that tool in a bag on the bike and purchase a new tool to replace the tool box. That way, if I ever need to work on the wing while on the road, I will have what I need. Currently, I have a cheap shaving bag purchased at Wally World, half full and have not gone back to the tool box in quite sometime. ;)

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
It's a Honda, you don't need no sinking tools!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I also carry a mini set of jumper cables ...a Slime air pump , electrical tape , mini gas syphen ...(he he) , emergency bat operated flare , nice tool kit , allens , rope kit ... first aid kit if we're distance riding.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Standard tool kit that is supplied with the bike, a plug kit with co2 cartridges, and a gun. Hope I never need any of them but it's nice to know that they are there if I do.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I don't carry a torque wrench for the rear tire change however I do have a nice breaker bar and socket. I can get close enough to proper torque on the road and check back at home. But what I did do was while changing tires set aside everything I used for front & rear in a kit for the bike saddle bag. In addition I carry a tire plug kit, a Slime Kit which includes a bottle of Slime and a small 12v compressor and a couple extra valve cores & stems. In addition I have a multi meter for testing D.C. circuits etc. Some electric black tape, some duct tape, a 16 in 1 tool, etc. Oh I also have a factory Service manual on DVD because on a long trip I also have my laptop along. For times when I don't have the LT I figure if needed somebody will have a computer I can pop it into if needed. Fred's video set also finds a spot in my bag.

I figure with all this stuff along I won't need it because I have it :shrug:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Tire repair kit / First Aid Kit / small ratchet set / various allen wrenches / biker block sunscreen / 1 quart synthetic oil / rain suit / electrical tape / some zip ties / motorcycle jumper cables / leatherman / kickstand pad / and most important a roll of TP....u just never know........:eek:4:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The tool kit that came with the bike, a credit card and a cell phone.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Slime compressor, rope plug kit, Dynaplugs, small adjustable wrench, small vise grips, a few sockets and allen wrenches plus the factory kit.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
On-bike tools

I'll do some editing of your list, if I may...

Tire repair kit / First Aid Kit / <...> / metric allen wrench set / sunscreen / <...> / electrical tape (one thing I didn't have, but could have used...see below) / some zip ties / <...> / leatherman / kickstand pad / a roll of TP....
Screwdrivers flat & Phillips / pliers / wire snips / Slime compressor / flashlight / small rope

Ask the gang who went on the Heart Attack Grill ride who seemed to be able to go to the tool bag and go "Got It!" when we were doing some minor repair work on a couple of the bikes in the parking lot Sat night...except the roll of electrical tape

All of the above except the Slime compressor fits in one of those Harbor Freight canvas tool bags like this...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35539

There's probably one or two other 'like to have' items that could go into the bag; one might be that Harbor Freight torque multiplier and socket, but, really, has anyone did roadside tire removal and replacment? I'd like to read that story... :eek:4:

Okay, so what else is a toolkit incomplete without?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Extra pants, some T-shirts, socks and underwear. Sneakers when I'm off the bike and rain gear for rainy days. FF helmet, gloves and riding jacket. Is there anything that I'm missing?

Oh, yeah, I forgot, my credit cards!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Honda Tool Kit, Slime Compressor and rope plugs, Cell phone and most important VISA. :doorag:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I realize you "macho" people only carry sparse tools and such. Remember tho, if you ride with others as I do, its always nice to have the stuff that can help the others in the group that may not have the ability to carry these items like we have. I am the "mother ship" as it were.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Aside from a deep well socket and torque wrench for the lugnuts on the rear wheels
Huh? Torque wrench? You mean, people actually will ahem, lug one of those around? I can understand why someone would want to pull the rear wheel off a Goldwing (sorta), but not sure why anyone would even attempt it on the side of the road. Why not just carry a couple of CO2 cartridges and a plug kit?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts