GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 GL 1800 Motortrike that I am going to have the local Honda dealership put a trailer wire harness on it hopefully tomorrow.
What does the GL 1800 come standard set up for, a 4 wire flat, 5 wire flat, 6 wire ?

I took the wiring out of the trailer I purchased recently as it had been spliced so many times it was hard to follow. It had a 4 wire plug with another 1 socket plug on the side, but it also had been hooked to a Harley.

I bought a 4 wire setup to go back into the trailer ..... hopefully the Honda shop can get it figured out, but I wanted to know alittle in advance.

Thanks
Rip

·
Registered
501 Posts
It don't!

Rip,
First of all, mother Honda frowns on us pulling trailers with our Wings. Check your owner's manual.

However, since we do...the bike end has five wires (left turn, right turn, brake light, running and ground). Most trailers, unless they are set up for a motorcycle (like Bushtec, Escapade, etc.), come with a four wire hook up where there is no brake light wire, the two turn signal wires do double duty. There is a 5 to 4 wire converter that wires between the MC and trailer. The style connector (4 wire flat, 5 wire flat, 5 wire round, whatever) is usually determined by what's on the trailer.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
As stated there is no standard for this as Motorcycles in general do not come equipped from the factory for trailer wiring.

With that said, Electrical Connection provides the best (IMHO) plug n' play solution available for either a 4-wire or a 5-wire solution.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns-trailer.htm

You will need:

p/n 07660 Trailer Relay Isolation Package
*must order sub-harness for use*
$64.95
p/n 07662 Honda GL1800 "Plug & Play" Sub-harness $9.95

and if your trailer has combined stop lights and turn lights...

p/n 07664 Trailer Light Converter - 5 to 4 light "Plug & Play" $24.95

You will still need to decide what type of electrical connector you want to use between your trailer and the new trailer wiring harness on the motorcycle. Lots of options on types and places to mount it.

This is mine for my Bushtec trailer...

Mine has seven connectors instead of just five needed. #6 is used for the interior light in the trailer, the other is unused at this time...

My setup when I am getting ready to use the trailer...

When not pulling the trailer I stuff the harness into the receiver till I need it again.

Like I said, there are many ways to do this, this happens to be mine...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts