GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my oil today and thought how glad I was that I could drain it without removing the front cowl. Of course that's the first thing the book tells you to do. Some people would give up doing any maintenance after first trying to remove that cowl.

What have you learned that has made your maintenance life easier?

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
You don't need to take the mirrors off to change the windshield, just move them out of the way. It's tight but doable.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Wall to wall carpeting in the garage makes working underneath the bike or changing wheels a lot more comfortable. Grinding a taper and the addition of anti seize compound on the seat bolts. Using magnetized tools to keep screws and nuts from falling into the "black hole". Tying string to tools to keep them from falling into the same hole. Using a magnet on a string to fish the oil drain bolt out of the hot oil during an oil change. Adding rubber baby bumpers to the trunk or fishing some rubber tubing into the trunk lid seal. Adding Teflon tape to the trunk lid to keep the chaffing down. Separating my metric tools from my standard tools (two different tool boxes). Using wire ties to keep the grommets from falling out.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hi Jobber Jim - I really appreciate your ideas. But I have a
couple of questions. What are the baby bumpers and what do
they do? How do you use ties to keep from losing the grommets?
Also, don't understand the rubber tubing in the trunk lid. Sorry to
be so stupid but I'll take all the help I can get. Thanks in advance
for your help. Blessings.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The rubber baby bumpers maintain the gap between the trunk and the trunk lid while the tubing inserted into the trunk lid seal keeps the lid seal from flattening out. If not corrected, the trunk lid will chafe on the trunk itself which results in the alignment "nubs" cutting into the lid (common occurance on Wings). Tupperware on the Wing is very expensive to replace. Sure wish Honda would re-design this area.
The wire ties keep the rubber gromments from falling out of their slots when removing and or replacing any side panel (I've lost a few before I secured them with wire ties). Just run a small tie through the grommet hole, wrap it around the metal or plastic slot and secure it. Others have used rubber cement or RTV sealant to secure them.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Rastoff said:
What have you learned that has made your maintenance life easier?
I learned to Sit and Beg fairly quickly, still working on Fetch, and Roll Over though.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
You only have to remove the right caliper to get the front wheel off.

Use reverse to lock the rear wheel to break loose the rear wheel lug nuts.

A little dielectric grease on the saddlebag nubs and rubber gaskets will allow them to open easier, although the left one is still a PITA. Also use it on the side cover grommets for easier on and off.

The only bleeders controlled by the hand brake are the right upper and the left lower on the front brakes... all the rest are controlled by the foot lever, including the anti-dive bleeder.

Lift up on the tang for the MFD connector under the meter cover.

These all can be agro if you don't know about them.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Jobber Jim,
I've gotten a glance of the baby bumpers on another bike, but not close enough to see how they miss the seal. The ones I glanced were on the top of the lower trunk box, and I thought the lids seal would have landed on them. How are they displaced from center to miss the seal? Inside or outside? How tall should the bumpers be? Are there generally local hardware stores that carry that sort of item? How are they attached?
Thanks for taking time to fill me in. (I may not be the only one not knowing this info)
Bob D.

·
Registered
255 Posts
bobnpaso said:
Jobber Jim,
I've gotten a glance of the baby bumpers on another bike, but not close enough to see how they miss the seal. The ones I glanced were on the top of the lower trunk box, and I thought the lids seal would have landed on them. How are they displaced from center to miss the seal? Inside or outside? How tall should the bumpers be? Are there generally local hardware stores that carry that sort of item? How are they attached?
Thanks for taking time to fill me in. (I may not be the only one not knowing this info)
Bob D.
Try the link below.

http://www.dixonymachine.com/RBBB.htm

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Thanks for posting the link to Dixon Machine, Slinkey.
The rubber baby bumpers are fairly stiff right after installation, but soften up in a few weeks and squish down to support the lid. You want a uniform gap all around the lid. They do stiffen back up in the cold though (which I don't have in Florida). If you follow Dixon Machine's instructions carefully, you will be able to position them where they just clear the outside edge of the trunk lid seal at the corner radius of the lid. Be careful installing them in the tupperware (ie. don't use anything sharp like a screwdriver blade or center punch). I whittled down a popsicle stick to a blunt point to work the bumper tail into the hole I drilled. A little silicone grease helps. These bumpers have a "tail" on them and you insert them in a drilled hole and they catch on the backside. Local hardware stores don't carry them where I live. Got mine from Dixon Machine.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I can smoke while wearing my full face helmet. When I get home to do my maintenance I am not as stressed out, so therfore I have found something heplful to me.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have recently learned a new way to save a lot of money. When catalogs arrive in the mail, I take them directly to the recycle. I also try not to click on the red banner at the top of all the pages. I do seem to be suffering from Hal withdrawal. Haven't gotten a shipment in 2 entire weeks. I am a wingoholic.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Here 'nother toast to Fred's DVD :beer3:

Changed my bearings
my tires
my coolant
oil
put raiser
showed a mech how to removed the shock, replace it
and I got the procedures for changing the air filter memorized...
and let me tell you, I ain't no mechanic

Most of all, I learned to stay away from the Mother shop

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
KJ5IX said:
I learned to Sit and Beg fairly quickly, still working on Fetch, and Roll Over though.
In Full agreement here, in reverse tho.

I've gotten real good at the Fetch and Roll Over routine. On some days off, I can 'Fetch" a few cold ones from the fridge, then I "Roll Over" for the night. :D

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Honda doesn't recommend using the transmission to hold the rear wheel while breaking the lugs loose, and I would feel uncomfortable using reverse for that, as well. (It might be perfectly fine to use it, but I'd still rather not :)) Instead, I use a small piece of wood wedged under the right-hand foot peg, holding the brake pedal down.

G

·
I recently learned that if you remove the passenger backrest (2 screws in the trunk) it makes removal and replacing the seat much easier.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Alternative to rubber bumpers....

I use the felt pads with self adhesive and use 3 on each side. A little tight at first but then seats trunk lid real well and about $2-3 at local hardware store.

Works for me!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts