GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I ponder converting my 2015toa trike, I have to ask - why are there so few California Sidecar trikes for sale used? I see many Hannigan, MotorTrike, and Roadsmith, but very few CSC. Is this because they are so well made or is their portion of the market that low?

My initial selection would be Roadsmith or CSC, but this observation needs to be explored.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Is this because they are so well made or is their portion of the market that low?

Honestly I don't think it's because of either of those reasons. I think it's probably just by chance that you're not seeing them right now. I see them listed fairly regularly.

While I think the CSC kit is well-made so are Roadsmith, Motortrike, and Hannigan. I have no idea how many kits each manufacturer sells but I would guess either Motortrike or Roadsmith is 1 or 2 with CSC being 3rd.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kid,

How do you like your CSC? The main reason I like CSC is the spring capacity, the auxiliary fuel tank (A bit smaller than Roadsmith), and most importantly, the upgraded braking. It also has good storage, but again, slightly less than the Hannigan.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
While I've not paid any attention to what kits are for resale. I and probably along with many others on this board have ridden many different kits (did this while looking for my trike). I finally selected a Hannigan and the question is why? I liked the way it rode and had been told by a trike builder with a very good reputation that knew he wasn't going to install my kit because of the distance we were apart which kits he thought were best. I won't mention either him or the kits but from his advice and my experience with riding them and talking to most of the manufacturers it's pretty much like buying a Ford or Chevy. Whichever one catches your eye and feels right buy it. I actually had intended on buying a different kit, however when I rode it it just didn't feel right. I later rode another of the same kit and it felt great. The owner of the kit I didn't buy told me the installer got the forks off just a bit when he installed the kit. Would I buy the kit I decided not to buy? Yes I would in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I am a fan of the California Sidecar. I too had narrowed down between the Roadsmith and CSC when I was shopping for the conversion. The Roadsmith was going to take longer for availability and was going to cost more than the CSC. And after looking at both, I really liked the styling of the CSC Viper. The Roadsmith has more of a squared off look and the CSC Viper kind of flows. Especially comparing the floorboards and the rear end. The CSC also has a sturdier lower trunk door. Storage in that lower trunk is excellent. Both the Hannigan and the CSC Viper have 8cu feet of storage where the Roadsmith only has 5.5cu ft. The CSC maintains the factory functionality of the suspension system and controls by keeping the suspension actuator and adjustor and swapping them onto the new rear shock. It can also maintain the factory ABS. The CSC is also as wide as he Hannigan and just shy of the length by an inch or 2. It also adds a 6 degree rake. I know that were a few other things that I can't think of now but one of the biggest things that stuck out was the CSC Warranty. It is a 5 year unlimited mile warranty and is the best of any of the other trike companies.

IMHO, the aux gas tank really isnt needed. I have regularly travelled with many others on 2 wheels and average just about the same mpg as them. And usually if you are travelling tank to tank, it's time to get off and stretch anyway. I do see the mileage drop off a bit when pulling my Aspen but the other bikes are usually pulling an Aspen as well so their gas mileage suffers as well.

So if you have narrowed down to the Roadsmith or CSC Viper, my suggestion is to pick the Viper. Mine was right around $14000 and that included the color matched trike body and color matched floorboards, 6 degree rake, their standard powder coated wheels (didnt want the chrome), the new passenger comfort anti roll bar, kept the ABS, trailer hitch, and monogrammed trike fender bras. I can PM the installer info if you would like...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Kid,

How do you like your CSC? The main reason I like CSC is the spring capacity, the auxiliary fuel tank (A bit smaller than Roadsmith), and most importantly, the upgraded braking. It also has good storage, but again, slightly less than the Hannigan.

I like my CSC very much--but only about 18k on the kit so far.

If you go that route make sure your installer sets up the primary suspension settings for the weight you normally carry--rider only, rider + passenger, etc.. This makes the trike ride and handle like a dream. You can always add some preload if you are extra heavy.

The extra fuel-tank gets you to a total of 10 gallons on board. It's true it's not a must-have--but it sure is nice to have! It gives you the option to go 300 miles without HAVING to stop for gas. If you leave full in the morning you can stop at parks and points of interest most of the day instead of gas stations. It just gives you more flexibility.

Good Luck with your search!

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I chose a CSC Cobra XL. My criteria/requirements were:

- A really good local installer
- IRS (The CSC has a great system design and retains the wings adjustable suspension)
- Rake kit
- Brakes (the CSC retains the wings linked brakes)
- Aux fuel tank (to me this was a must have. The CSC is 3.5 gallon and gravity fed)
- Storage capacity
- Looks

I did not test ride any trikes. My first ride on a trike was leaving the installers shop.

I'm happy with my choice.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You all have said what I think I already knew. I have ridden a few of the models and you are right, it is what is good to me (I'm a Chevy guy, but don't believe Fords are junk).

Although I do not have yet, I do plan on pulling a camper trailer on most trips. Retirement is closer than I think and there is a lot of this country I want to see other than through an airplane window. I do not plan Iron Butt riders, but the spouse and I want the most comfort we can get.

Despite long trips, I live in Florida, where the riding season is 365 days (if you can handle the heat).

I think the CSC Viper will be the choice. Have a good installer back home in Ohio that I would trust to do it right.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I too never had any type of trike riding experience B4 I rode away on a Roadsmith, when My beloved 2010 "Blacky " was converted, last year....I never LQQked back... I love my Roadsmith model trike

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I had a Motor Trike Adventure from 11/2010 to 12/2018 on a 2003 which I had converted. When I traded for a 2013 with Roadsmith. I choose these 2 because they are the narrowest.

·
Registered
69 Posts
owners of csc do not feel a need to get anything else so the used market is small I have a champion and would rather have csc my partner has motortrike and wishes he kept the csc to each his own

·
Registered
790 Posts
I chose a CSC Cobra XL. My criteria/requirements were:

- A really good local installer
- IRS (The CSC has a great system design and retains the wings adjustable suspension)
- Rake kit
- Brakes (the CSC retains the wings linked brakes)
- Aux fuel tank (to me this was a must have. The CSC is 3.5 gallon and gravity fed)
- Storage capacity
- Looks

I did not test ride any trikes. My first ride on a trike was leaving the installers shop.

I'm happy with my choice.

ONe of the biggest Honda dealers in WA state is Everett Motorsports in Everett WA where I purchased by GL1800.

Except during the summer, they have a couple of trikes.

They are also a CSC dealer installer so I'll buy from them installed onto an existing trike or kit mine.:wink2:

Reactions: Red Wing One

·
Registered
90 Posts
We just dropped our 2006 WING off at the Hannigan plant in KY. The wife and I test road the CSC, Motor Trike, and Roadsmith and the Hannigan road the best out of the lot. I also like the fact you almost NEVER see used Hannigan trikes for sale if you do they don't last long.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts