GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at AGM, Gel or Lithium type for my 2009 GL and most likely will get it from WingStuff and am looking for a head count/info of the type to pick please :bow:

:?: AGM -

:?: Gel -

:?: Lithium -

and I am very concerned about the date of the battery and will for this year when buying one.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I'm sorry...

...but I see four threads started in the last three weeks asking about battery situations. Did the answers given not meet your expectations?

You might be stressing on this just a bit too much, IMO. AGM. Simple, easy, reliable - and available.

A little more searching - especially other sources - would let you know that things like lithium batteries really don't take well to heat. You're in Yuma; food for thought??

Gel batteries? "...the only big advantage, is the gel battery can be upside down, laid on its side, etc." How d'ya abuse a battery? Drain it badly, then expect it to work & take a good, healthy charge.

For the amount of time stressing over this, you could have ordered a replacement, installed it, and have been on the way.

But, hey, what do I know? I'm on battery three since my bike was new seven years ago. The last two? Wal-Mart specials.

Luck to you on your search.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...but I see four threads started in the last three weeks asking about battery situations. Did the answers given not meet your expectations?

You might be stressing on this just a bit too much, IMO. AGM. Simple, easy, reliable - and available.

A little more searching - especially other sources - would let you know that things like lithium batteries really don't take well to heat. You're in Yuma; food for thought??

Gel batteries? "...the only big advantage, is the gel battery can be upside down, laid on its side, etc." How d'ya abuse a battery? Drain it badly, then expect it to work & take a good, healthy charge.

For the amount of time stressing over this, you could have ordered a replacement, installed it, and have been on the way.

But, hey, what do I know? I'm on battery three since my bike was new seven years ago. The last two? Wal-Mart specials.

Luck to you on your search.
Thanks, your right on this one, I buy batteries for my cars all the time and do very well, this will be my first one for a bike in over 30 years and I do get involved in all of it. There is always a bad, good and best in everything you get and I am stressing a bet too much at this point. That is just me... but when you take a long trip on the bike with a trailer and add the wife to the mix, I can't fail in any way for her and for me. There is no back-up. I did get a pm on a store "batteriesPlus" and I will call them as I can go buy there store in two weeks and see what they have. I am running out of time as we leave on the trip at the end of May.

·
Registered
994 Posts
If you're worried about getting caught on the road I would suggest either AAA or a GWRRA Memebership(it comes with roadside assistance).

I use AGM in my Wing and both my ATV's.Can't beat'em IMHO.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're worried about getting caught on the road I would suggest either AAA or a GWRRA Memebership(it comes with roadside assistance).

I use AGM in my Wing and both my ATV's.Can't beat'em IMHO.
Thanks, I do have AAA and I'm a GWRRA member as well.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I'm really happy with the AGM battery I bought from Batteries Plus. Good price, great warranty.
Check it out.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm really happy with the AGM battery I bought from Batteries Plus. Good price, great warranty.
Check it out.
I called two Batteries Plus places in so-Cal and one guy did not know how to find one and the other one has a battery but it's from last Nov. I will call them both Monday for better luck :eek:4:

·
Registered
128 Posts
My experience. Standard battery. The bike now has 210,000km on it and the battery is fine.

131,884km April 1, 2009. Battery needed filling (leave half an hour), then resting (wait an hour), then charging (took 12 hours) and then capping (those permanent vent seals). THEN it can be installed. No wonder people buy batteries and get short life. Even I had not expected 24 hours from opening the packages to having it ready. I think that most would just fill it, install it, cap it, and go for a drive. Went for a 6 hour drive in the spring sunshine, and parked the bike for a month while I went to Vancouver. The battery needed another 4 hours of charging to bring it up when I got back to Ottawa. Thirsty battery !

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I think that from now on, whenever anybody asks, I am going to recommend the Shorai Lithium battery, for my own selfish reasons. We need as many people as possible to experiment with these batteries so that we have a lot of testimonials on their performance. (I'm certainly not going to.) ;)

The problem with Shorai is, after 12 years, I have just enough on batteries to cover half of the cost of one Shorai, and my current battery has 3 years left until I replace it out of general principle. At that rate, a Shorai would have to last 30 years to pay for itself.

I love new technology. Lithium Iron batteries might be the future. I just want others to be the guinea pig beta testers before I jump in.

Not trying to pick on you CWW. I follow this belief when it comes to maintenance. If what came on the vehicle from the factory gave me good performance and durability, then I will stick with OEM if it is reasonably priced. I don't look to the aftermarket unless OEM prices are too high, if the OEM part is not easily obtainable, or if there was something that I felt needed to be improved.

Yuasa batteries are a proven commodity, and they are reasonably priced. They aren't high tech, and they are heavy, like all other lead acid batteries. But they work, and work well.

I understand that for some enthusiasts, their cars and bikes are sort of experimental platforms that allow them to tinker. There is nothing wrong with that. But those days are long behind me. I got burned too many times in my younger days by aftermarket products that didn't live up to their questionable advertising claims. My Wing is for traveling, not tinkering, and all I need it to do is get me from point A to point B reliably. If the old, boring battery technology will do that, I'm happy.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Which one?Yuasa has regular lead/acid and AGM.The 18's came with AGM I'm told.
It's possible, but as far as I know, Yuasa only has two part numbers cross referenced to the GL1800, and they are both AGM batteries. One has a slightly higher amp hour rating.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
YTX20hl-bs

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Buy if for the 09 and up model better battery, higher cranking power. Don't know why they even sell the 08 and below battery anymore.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Both versions are AGM.
The YTX20L-bs is a wet cell battery , the YTX20HL-BS is the AGM...and both are 18 amp hour batteries.

He must be referring to the GYZ20HL which is a AGM battery rated for 20 amp hours..

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
<...> but when you take a long trip on the bike with a trailer and add the wife to the mix, I can't fail in any way for her and for me. There is no back-up. <...>
So, just what makes this any different from any other ride on a bike? I want to believe that every one of us ensures that our ride is up to snuff - especially before heading out much further than the next valley beyond the one we live in.

LarryM nailed it when he wrote: "My Wing is for traveling, not tinkering, and all I need it to do is get me from point A to point B reliably. If the old, boring battery technology will do that, I'm happy."

So, perhaps this is one area that tinkering around with a known entity (battery technology) might not be worth the effort, grief, and expense.

Luk to you on your quest for perfection, but in my line of work, 'perfection' costs - with no 100% guarantees of absolute perfection. Sometimes "highly adequate" is satisfactory.

·
Registered
7,519 Posts

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
The YTX20L-bs is a wet cell battery , the YTX20HL-BS is the AGM...and both are 18 amp hour batteries.

He must be referring to the GYZ20HL which is a AGM battery rated for 20 amp hours..
All Yuasa YTX and GYZ batteries are AGM. The extra H in the second number represents a high CCA battery. Yuasa conventional batteries begin with 12N and YB.

The only two batteries that Yuasa and Honda list for the GL1800 is the YTX20L-BS and the GYZ20L, but there is probably no reason you could not use the higher CCA battery. All 3 of those batteries are AGM.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts