GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased Honda heated grips back in the summer and finally got around to installing them today. I figured while I had the shelter off anyhow, I might as well adjust my cruise control. Then when a friend noticed that I have over 17,000 miles on her he informed me that I needed to change the air filter. I am an automotive technician and I don't think I've ever seen any worse engineering on anything before in my life!!! What would the dealer charge to do this job? It would have to be at least 2 hours labor and worth every penny!!
On the bright side, the grips work GREAT. Tried them on the way home from work and with gel palm gloves on, I had to turn them off high in only a couple of miles. And the cruise control difference is like night and day. All in all, I guess it was worth all the trouble even though the air filter wasn't really very dirty.

W

·
0 Posts
gbegoon said:
What would the dealer charge to do this job?
Good question and I'll be waiting to hear if someone had this done lately and what they paid a dealer.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
gbegoon,

Ever try to change an oil filter on either the Yamaha 650 or 1100?

Talk about a job.

Bulldog

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a matter of fact, I traded an '05 1100 V-Star in on my Goldwing. Being po' folk, I have to do all my own maintenance. Changed the V-Star oil 3 times, I think. Definitely not as easy as the Wing but, man, I loved that bike. Wish I could have kept it, too.

P

·
0 Posts
Wait until you decide to install a gear indicator.
Air filter change at my dealer is $180 plus parts.
Thanks for many savings, Fred Harmon.

Pat

G

·
0 Posts
That is one area where the Harley shines, it only takes about 5 minutes to change the air filter.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
StealthRider said:
That is one area where the Harley shines, it only takes about 5 minutes to change the air filter.
Yeah, I heard it almost falls off. :lol:

(Just kidding... please don't move this thread to the Honda/Harley board!) :wink:

·
Registered
211 Posts
The falls off is not a joke. The Harley rental guy was riding with me on a short ride and when we stopped for a stop sign he felt something hit his leg. You guessed it, the cover for the Air filter. He was lucky as the bolts just droped when he stopped. I told him I'd check the stoplight magnet on my belly pan at every beer stop from now on. Wonder why he doesn't want to ride lead any more? :D

But It do sound purty, and sure get the attention of the ladies..

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Just for conversation sake, I ask a dealer what the cost would be for a 24,000 service.......$465 labor + parts. I just saved a bunch of $$ as I will do the service in my garage :D

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Mine appeared spotless last winter with 20 some K. I had the new filter in hand but decided to leave the old one in for one more season. I hope I can find where I put the new one now. :?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts