GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting in my motel room outside Nashville tonight after riding 500 miles in pouring rain. My Bridgestones worked great on the pavement but what was really a pain was not being able to see through all the raindrops on my face shield. I've always heard that rain-x is not good on the shield, and I've tried lemon pledge, still raindrops cling to it even though I try to blow them off with my windscreen vent open. It doesn't fog if I leave it cracked a bit. My helmet is an HJC CL-14 full face. What will let these raindrops slide off? I'm ready to put rain-x on even though it might not work. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
RainX

My two sons were at the sand dunes one year and it was raining. They got the bright idea of using RainX on their googles. Both of them had they eyes swell shut. Lesson learned. Dont put RainX on anything close to your eyes.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Hi Fred. I have used Plexus for several years on my faceshield. I just sit up tall for a second above the windshield and the wind blows the water right off. I also use it on my glasses, and sunglasses.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I bought some windshield wipers that you put on your thumb that wipes the shield off good. I slip it over my left thumb with the wiper part facing out on the back side of my thumb and all I have to do is wipe the edge over the shield and its clear for a few minutes and then do it again. Got them from a Cycle Gear chain store.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going fast enough for sure...maybe I'm not tall enough. The wind doesn't hit my face shield. I didn't know the reason rain-x was not recommended was because it caused an eye reaction. I thought it was because it fogged the shield. If I lower my windshield, the wind buffets on my wife. I have the shield set where I can see about two inches over it. I'll try more lemon pledge again.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going 80 mph like everyone else. It's insane to go that fast in the rain but if you don't you get run over. Just curious, where can I rent a Wing in Tucson? I might be there in a few months.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Plexus, and re-apply it at every fuel stop while it's still raining. Doesn't work as good as Rain-X does, but Rain-X is not to be used on anything but glass.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where can I get Plexus? Any auto store or Walmart?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Haven't found anything that works well on the face shield (Rejex, Pledge, Plexus, etc). Like mentioned, leaning forward and up to get the wind directly on the shield works, but it's a pain. Thumb wipers work but again a pain.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Lemon Pledge works for me. You do need to keep the shield/visor clean though. Everytime I stop I wipe off both with a microfiber towel, even though it is pouring. All the crud that comes off of tires is stuck to the shield and the visor, the pledge will last for several days.

·
Registered
127 Posts
regular car wax and rise up into the windstream to blow water off the sheld. Saturday I rode 300+ miles in heavy rain with no trouble. I also ride with my eyes even with the top of the windscreen.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Problem...

The problem is...The air you are riding into does not actually hit most of our windscreens. The front of the bike creates a big pocket of air around the front end as the air is being forced/compressed an inch from the front end. When you open your center vent in the screen, you break the bubble to a point. If the wind actually hit it full force, it would always be blown off and clear.

Wax or any other slick coating you put on will help. Mostly, I see the water just travel up the screen faster and come over onto me with wax, though I still use it. Better to have it come up and over onto me than sit on the sheild and bead up blocking my view.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
F4 shield....

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
he is talking about his HELMET shield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
push shield down and speed
look over the shield

1 - 20 of 44 Posts