GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning on my way in to work in the cage, I had a large 13 passenger window van cut me off @ ~ 45 mph. He was turning in the median and went from there directly in front of me at ~ a 45 degree angle into a gas station. He did not veer to avoid a collision, and I don't think he even noticed me until we were both in the station lot (he forced me into it). My left front fender was grazed by a hinge on one of his doors, leaving a long crease and scratching the left headlight lens. Estimate is only $1365. This was in my little white Suzuki SX4 crossover. Of course, he claimed I must have been flying because he never saw me. I was doing the limit, and no more.

My question for the learned assembly of this forum is: What would my chances have been if I had been on the Black Pearl (my 'wing)? I know that I would have been more alert and anticipating stupidity at a higher level, but without ABS (the SX4 has it, and it worked well allowing me to control steering the whole time), and with the small contact patch of MC tires, would I have been able to control, maneuver, and slow well enough to have avoided splatting myself on his van's side loading door? Would I have been able to control my path well enough to use the small space he left me to slide into the gas station lot along side him? I just made it in the SX4, but that was with his door hinge ~ 3" into my front fender. Might I have squeezed between the car in the left lane and his rear bumper (he came to almost a full stop as he entered the station lot, almost completely blocking my lane)? At least the GoldWing horn is louder!

BTW, the officer that answered the call said that he did not write tickets unless there was an injury. I won't make a judgment on that. I don't take the risks he does, and know that court time is agonizing for many officers.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
:shrug:
I had a Full Size Dodge Van back in the 80's that got hit on 3 different occasions and the other driver said (ready for this) I DIDN'T SEE YOU..

I thought it must have become invisable on the road like Wonder Womans Airplane.

Even worse now with Cell Phones and Texting.

Glad you weren't on the Bike, and that you were not hurt.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Pid,

That made me draw up just reading your situation!! Glad you came out as well as you did. They are out there among us all the time. Glad you were on 4 wheels, because I believe it would have been much worse had you been on your Goldwing.

Be safe, my friend, and God Bless.

Mike

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
If you ride like I do, "which is a lot quicker then I drive" you would of been way down the road when the Van pulled out!:shrug: Someone else might have been there though.

N

·
0 Posts
Its really hard to see someone when you ain't lookin'. If he cut across lanes, he probably wasn't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts