GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you change about the new Gold Wings? For example, if you could contact a design engineer and put in your 2 cents:

"Look, it wouldn't cost that much, but you really need to do this to your new motorcycles..."

Here's mine:

- Use a beefier kick stand
- Mic Mutes should be a factory install
- GPS updates via a USB stick port
- Windshield could be a little thicker
- Put a pocket power recepticle in all models
- Integrate newer poratable sound devices

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Get rid of some of the tupperware that covers everything up. Makes it harder than necessary to work on the bike.

Make it more like my old GL1200 where you can see the motorcyle.

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
Solve the front end wobble problem or at least install All Balls or something equally sturdy at the factory. And how about that new "fly by wire" technology so we don't need to have all these cables to deal with.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Either get rid of the self-cancelling turn signals or make them work as they should, in other words cancelling after you make a turn regardless of time. They require too much attention now.

·
Registered
609 Posts
How about lighting up the four buttons below the display.
How about a heads up display? :thumbup:
+1 with putting the temp readout on the display!

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
All I really need is an electric center stand!!!!! Please, Honda, just look at BMW's center stand, and do this for me!!!! I'll be changing my oil again next week, and have to have a friend come over and put my bike up on the stand...this is ridiculous already...but try as I may, I just cannot do this!! :oops: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: Everything else I can either accept, or change...but this one little item...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Pocket pwoer recepticle #1
Electric windshield
Less Tupperware

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I agree with Fred H on the GPS. Make routes on PC and transfer maps into GPS with a memory stick. They are now available with 16 Gig for $40.

Seems like someone said the newer units had a USB port on them. True?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
The sole truth is people.... Honda found a way to produce a $20.000 + cycle that reaks for design changes and modifications that forces us to add them ourselves or be happy with the basic bike.
Example of this is, read want Fred H. added and change on his 2009 in just a couple weeks that Honda missed the mark on.

What a great plan for Honda to sit back and watch you/me tweak the GL1800 to add obvious changes that we should be getting for our $20,000. Like someone mention go back to basics like the old GL1200/GL1500.

You can't tell me Honda doesn't know what riders want/need in a Goldwing. But as long as they can get by raising the price every year and suck us in paying those prices, life so is good in Corporate Honda.

Above all this, I question just how we lose sight of the fact, "it's a motorcyce", not a two wheel Lexus.
If Honda even added just 1/2 of what we wish for here, you wouldn't want'a see the price.

I'll step down off the soapbox now.

·
Registered
661 Posts
An adjustable Seat. An oil sight glass. A chained Gas cap.
Delete the power headlights, Give me a power Windshield.

Some of my friends ride BMWs and some ride ST-1300s,
each has its features.

...............Don

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
since each bike starts off as basic it should remain the same and then to each his own to modify it as he see fit

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Let it rev to at least 8,000 rpm like a real motorcycle. My frickin town car redlines close to where the Wing does. I'd take the extra hp that would offer in exchange for maybe a 10 to 15% loss in torque at 1500 rpm so that it could breath well at 8,000. First gear is deep enough.

I guess I wouldn't want most of the farkles people are calling for. We all want different stuff.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Here's mine:

- Use a beefier kick stand
Ken....you having trouble with your kickstand???

... I would drop the CD stuff and make an iPod plug in the trunk, and make it truly plug and play, plug in your iPod and control it from the radio controls and see it on your GPS screen.

Make the CB really "plug and play", just open up the trunk, plug it in, and it works... no running wires, putting on new antennas etc...

Utopia like back rest, which is removable, is standard.

Light in the trunk.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts