GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
It looks like he blew out both rear tires. Or it could just appear that way from the POV of the camera.

This is not an unusual event, though running off the runway was. Military aircraft tires do not have a very long life-span. I seem to recall them being rated for 16 landings. With the budgets being pinched, especially for non-combat sorties, it wouldn't surprize me if that rating wasn't being pushed. Maybe the pilot needed an arresting cable.

To answer your initial question. If either tire blows out, you'll want to remain calm, keep your eyes straight ahead and level, slow down, and ride it to the edge of the road, out of harm's way. If its your front tire, use your rear brake, lightly. Visa-versa for the rear tire. But no big control inputs.

On another note, many tire problems can be identified with a good T-Clock inspection before every ride.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Not being a pilot, it looks like a high-pucker factor event to me.

I noticed each poster had airplanes or X's in their signature block. What do these represent?

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
FYI, usually when both main landing gear tires blow, it is the result of an anti-skid failure or hot brakes blowing out the thermal relief plugs. Landing hot or heavy will frequently result in over-temping the brakes. The real danger with hot brakes is wheel fires, which can consume an aircraft in short order.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
tjshelton said:
Military aircraft tires do not have a very long life-span. I seem to recall them being rated for 16 landings.
No AC tires have a long life span. If you get 16 sorties you really had them last a long time. I'm told by the crew chiefs that tires usually last between 5 and 15 sorties on fighters and a little longer on heavies. Here at Edwards we spend about $11 million on tires each year.

That was a great series of shots. I'll bet that more failed than just the tire. Just a tire blowing shouldn't cause him to slide off the runway. He probably locked the brakes as well like Fred said.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Probably looked something like this.........created with shots from that post

The gif runs three times..........to see it again.......refresh the page

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I am sure they were stones

·
Registered
922 Posts
As I recall they got a good deal on some Firestones........

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Fred

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about with regards to having an anti-skid failure and hot brakes blowing out the thermal relief plugs (hands). Landing hot or (in my case) heavy is not a pretty picture when you are trying to impress your recently married SO on a trip to San Francisco. Thought I would impress her with my chair handling skills while traveling down the other side of Lombard Street, after showing my manly self of having pushed UP Lombard Street. It was not pretty at all.

Taking a "time out" to cool the brake pads

Just before the brake pads overheated.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Rastoff said:
tjshelton said:
[snip]

That was a great series of shots. I'll bet that more failed than just the tire. Just a tire blowing shouldn't cause him to slide off the runway. He probably locked the brakes as well like Fred said.
Looks like the starboard wheel locked, and the mount tore away at some point, and after the turn, the port mount went, too.. But they walked away, which makes it a good landing. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts