GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking if ever I broke down somewhere in the middle of no where. I just purchased the Honda roadside assistance for $125 and got to thinking, yes they will bring it to the dealer, but what if the dealer is closed at night or the weekend, would you have the wrecker leave the bike at the front of the dealership or get him to bring it to a motel where you might stay while waiting for the dealership to open, what would you do? I was thinking I would get him to drop the bike and I off at a motel and call the dealership first morning. But I also thought that the wrecker company could be anal and say well the deal is to the dealer ship if after 35 or so miles. That would be a sad thing. Any ideas??

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
If the Dealer did not have a fenced lot, I would say take it there, Lock it up by the front door, get your valuables out, and be at the Dealer when they opened the next morning.

Not sure it would be much worse than leaving it in a Motel Parking Lot overnight. Depending on the neighborhood, of course.

Most Dealers have a Trailer that could meet you at the Motel if you prefer to go that route.

You would have to just play it by ear.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Let him drop it off at the dealer, if it gets stolen, you have insurance to cover it.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Use a tow service w/a secured lot. They lock it up and deliver it to the dealer the next morning.
Leave it sitting at an unattended dealership, not secured, only if you want it gone the next morning!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Well, If it's broke down they'd have to push it or haul it.

I'd say leave it and hope it gets stolen. Then use the insurance money to buy a running wing.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Use a tow service w/a secured lot. They lock it up and deliver it to the dealer the next morning.
Leave it sitting at an unattended dealership, not secured, only if you want it gone the next morning!
Who's gonna steal a non running broken down 900lb scoot?? Some of you guys would spend a dollar to save a nickel.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Buy a chain or cable and lock the bike frame to something. Thieves will look for an easier target.

As for staying and repairs, all that I think I pay 38 dollars to progressive and they tow the bike anywhere to the nearest dealer (as long as you are over 100 miles from home) and pay for the motel and eats and all that. Up to 3000 bucks per occurrence. 15 bucks a year gets you I think 500 bucks per occurrence.

If pros are in the area, hey they will just use a panel truck and and winch and be gone in less than a minute anyway.

But normally if the frame is locked to a fence, post, something they will not take the chance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Most tow services have either a secure yard or inside storage. Have them keep our bike at their facility and tow it to the dealer the next morning. The bike might not get stolen at a motel parking lot if not running but it can sure be vandalized and it can be a nightmare getting it fixed!

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Who's gonna steal a non running broken down 900lb scoot?? Some of you guys would spend a dollar to save a nickel.
Somebody that's wants to strip it and sell the parts or fix it and sell it.
Most pros don't ride the bikes away-they get put inside trucks or trailers.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hmmm.... Has there been a rash of Goldwing thefts nobody has told me about?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Had to have my VTX1800R towed a number of years back due to a flat.... nail through the tread and sidewall... Tow truck picked it up late afternoon..after dealer was closed..of course, and kept it until the morning when the dealer opened. It stayed on the flatbed the same way he and I strapped it down. This was back when Honda had the Roadside assistance and towing for a small price.... Worked out just fine.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Upon due reflection if my bike was say on a long trip and it died beyond what I can fix beside the road. It would not have to worry about thieves, I might just shoot it and put it out of its misery.....:joke:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
I've heard of maybe 2 Goldwings stolen over the past 10 years I've had one. Leave it at the dealer, take your stuff, lock it as best you can, and go for a beer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Upon due reflection if my bike was say on a long trip and it died beyond what I can fix beside the road. It would not have to worry about thieves, I might just shoot it and put it out of its misery.....:joke:
Come on now,Kit,you would not really shoot the fat girl ,would you?

·
Registered
724 Posts
yes I would just leave it at the dealership, it would be easier than trying to move it again in the morning and you would be first in line the next day.

I do think with ebay out there Wings might become more of an item being stolen than ever before so don't take for granted that no one wants to steal our wing, I don't think I took the key out of my BMW the whole time I rode them back in the 70's and 80's but things have changed.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
bike @ dealer or elsewhere

Groran, Wherever you (must) leave your bike

lay down on the left side. It will look broke

an thus less desireable. If you have a cover use

it.

·
Registered
19,462 Posts

This is the logical thing to do

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
How do some of y'all know all about these "pros"?

cousins??.. or 2 much teevee

..louie
30+yrs of "livin' the dream":lol: That's being a LEO in civilian lingo:p
By using Google-noted that there were 13,000 Honda's stolen vs. only 3500 Harley's in 2009!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Not to mention that some here think that the entire world is out to take something away from them; and that everyone is a thief.
Either leave it at the dealer or not. If you're scared, have it taken to the hotel you'd be staying at. It's not a big decision. Mine is insured. If something happens, I either replace it or repair it. It's just a bike.
Now, lets go riding!

I just noticed this:
By using Google-noted that there were 13,000 Honda's stolen vs. only 3500 Harley's in 2009!

You are referring to 13,000 Honda automobiles vs. 3500 Harley motorcycles.
How about comparing motorcycles to motorcycles?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts