GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lady friend that rides with us on an 08 which is triked with 12k miles on the odometer.

The PROBLEM, on a ride last month she started to notice that the bike would not stay in 5th gear. Then she had no first gear nor reverse. The only gears she had left was 2,3, and 4th. Also lack of power from the engine.

She has taken the trike to the local Honda dealership which has since tore down the engine and transmission only to discover that carbon pieces had entered the cylinders causing cylinder damage. She was told that if you ride a trike, you should use premium gas. Suppose to eliminate the carbon.

Don't know what caused the gear failure problems. Also she was told that the gear failure could be from not shifting at a high enough RPM.

Now she is left with a dilemma. To rebuild the current engine & transmission, at a cost of $6500:22yikes: or if she should choose to have a replacement engine & transmission installed, the cost will be $5900. :eek:4:I asked her about a warranty using either install but she wasn't sure about the rebuild and hasn't found out yet on the replacement. Then there's the confidence factor that she is concerned about. She's leaning towards maybe selling it as is and riding something different. She doesn't know which way would be best. :shrug:

So I'm asking you 'WHAT WOULD YOU DO...TRIKE RIDERS?'

Dennie

·
Banned
208 Posts
I have a lady friend that rides with us on an 08 which is triked with 12k miles on the odometer.

The PROBLEM, on a ride last month she started to notice that the bike would not stay in 5th gear. Then she had no first gear nor reverse. The only gears she had left was 2,3, and 4th. Also lack of power from the engine.

She has taken the trike to the local Honda dealership which has since tore down the engine and transmission only to discover that carbon pieces had entered the cylinders causing cylinder damage. She was told that if you ride a trike, you should use premium gas. Suppose to eliminate the carbon.

Don't know what caused the gear failure problems. Also she was told that the gear failure could be from not shifting at a high enough RPM.

Now she is left with a dilemma. To rebuild the current engine & transmission, at a cost of $6500:22yikes: or if she should choose to have a replacement engine & transmission installed, the cost will be $5900. :eek:4:I asked her about a warranty using either install but she wasn't sure about the rebuild and hasn't found out yet on the replacement. Then there's the confidence factor that she is concerned about. She's leaning towards maybe selling it as is and riding something different. She doesn't know which way would be best. :shrug:

Dennie
I would contact salvage yards and get a complete engine, they go from $2000 - $2500 and then find another shop to swap the engine out, no more that $2000 there. She is getting raped by the dealer that has her bike...

·
Banned
7,604 Posts

Since the motor has no knowledge that it's now powering a trike.............................

More likely could not be

Now she is left with a dilemma. To rebuild the current engine & transmission, at a cost of $6500:22yikes: or if she should choose to have a replacement engine & transmission installed, the cost will be $5900. :eek:4:
Are the replacements new?
I asked her about a warranty using either install but she wasn't sure about the rebuild and hasn't found out yet on the replacement.
There is no motor or tranny warranty on a trike unless it's a HDTri-Glide

Then there's the confidence factor that she is concerned about. She's leaning towards maybe selling it as is and riding something different.
Wouldn't get much over junk price as is!

She doesn't know which way would be best. :shrug:

Dennie
I get a second and third opinion. Any indy mechanics around????

·
Registered
640 Posts
Should still be under warranty....raise hell with Honda....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Where ?

Sorry, I don't think triking a Wing has any influence on what grade gas to run. Where did she purchase the trike ? Was it a "new" conversion or used ? Was the conversion done by a Honda dealership ? If the convertor and seller were a franchised Honda dealer and I had purchased the trike from them new, I would be at their door prepared to raise H%*L !!! Can't argue that lugging the engine won't cause problems, but for me, my warrenty did NOT end when I purchased my trike. Best of luck, hope she finds a reasonable solution. Ride safe, Dave

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
. . . warrenty did NOT end when I purchased my trike. Best of luck, hope she finds a reasonable solution. Ride safe, Dave
Dave, I agree. I have heard of folks who have had their "bikes" worked on by dealers. Not all, but there are some who appear to do the right thing.

·
Registered
272 Posts
have had 2 Goldwing trikes....both 1800....use REGULAR GAS & no problems !

·
Registered
640 Posts
You need to find a better Honda dealer....one that sells trikes....you shouldnt have problems with the warranty if you have a good dealer that knows trikes.....
I purchased mine triked from the dealership....havent had any problems yet, but understand they will stand behind the warranty on the Honda side and Motortrike on the trike unit....
Over 18,000 triked miles with no problem other than on third front tire, this time a MPA....no problem with regular gas....have occationaly used a higher grade when regular was out....mostly use Chevron, but use Shell or Exxon when I have to.....I dont buy other no name gas at Walmart or someother place like that....

Rip
2008 Motortrike.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Here is my Take,,,Most dealers will do warranty work EVEN on a trike if it is under a warranty. IF HONDA gets involved (say with a TRANNY problem) Honda will immediately cancel your warranty. I DOUBT there are ANY dealers that will take the hit on a engine or tranny rebuild. But I have been wrong before JUST ASK MY WIFE....

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
In my humble opinion....

I would not trust that dealer and would have to see the carbon myself. The manual that comes with a GW says that regular gas can be used.
That is what I use with no problems, however when I can (depending on my location) I prefer to use straight, non-ethanol gas from my local Farmer's Co OP. Just to be on the safe side, I'd get another dealer's mechanic's opinion.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Here is my Take,,,Most dealers will do warranty work EVEN on a trike if it is under a warranty. IF HONDA gets involved (say with a TRANNY problem) Honda will immediately cancel your warranty. I DOUBT there are ANY dealers that will take the hit on a engine or tranny rebuild. But I have been wrong before JUST ASK MY WIFE....
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
As long as you take it to the Honda dealer that did the conversion and that dealer doesn't tell Honda it's a trike and the Rep doesn't come to review(which they are more and more) you might be OK.
Just don't have that drive train failure 1,000 miles from home:eek:4:
Those of you that think it didn't affect your warranty-I hope you don't get a big surprise. Items not affected(their call, not yours)by the conversion will in most cases still be covered.
Whatever you do-don't call Honda to check-your bike will immediately be flagged in the Honda Warranty System.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Warranty "died" on the drive train the day it was triked.
That is a joke that most stealers tell trikers. My riding buddy bought a used GW trike from Sunrise Honda in Searcy Ar. and I was there when they ask him if he wanted the extended warranty. He said I heard that the warranty was no good if it was triked. They told him that was bull crap because we have a guy that does new trike conversions full time in our shop. I ask what if he was off in another state and the Honda dealership told him it wasn't covered because it was triked. Sunrise told him to tell the dealership that all the Honda stuff was still waranteed and if they still have a problem have them call Honda Corporate office. My buddy said if runs into that problem he was going to call Sunrise and have them call Honda Corp.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That is a joke that most stealers tell trikers. My riding buddy bought a used GW trike from Sunrise Honda in Searcy Ar. and I was there when they ask him if he wanted the extended warranty. He said I heard that the warranty was no good if it was triked. They told him that was bull crap because we have a guy that does new trike conversions full time in our shop. I ask what if he was off in another state and the Honda dealership told him it wasn't covered because it was triked. Sunrise told him to tell the dealership that all the Honda stuff was still waranteed and if they still have a problem have them call Honda Corporate office. My buddy said if runs into that problem he was going to call Sunrise and have them call Honda Corp.
They're lying to your buddy to sell him a trike. The best I could get out of the SM at Russelville Honda was "we'll work with you." I took that to mean , I pay the labor, they buy the parts. Anything under 500 bucks, Honda will warranty. Over 500 bucks needs a rep to ok the repair. Tell your buddy to talk with other dealers. This is just my experience talking to a half dozen dealers.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Once again any GOOD DEALER will warranty stuff that HONDA doesn't get involved with. If your FRIEND gets a bad engine or blown tranny see what SUNRISE does and let us know. Honda doesn't and does NOT want to build trikes.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Believe what that dealer said, just hope your friend suffers no drive train failures and If so, hope Honda doesn't get involved:eek:4:
You can also look on Hannigan's websight for an explanation as to the status of the bikes warranty once it's converted!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts