GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to go for a ride but found this in my tire. The tire has about 1200 miles on it, should I patch, replace, or darkside. Just asking.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Is this a trick question for a 195 55 16 running Darksider?:shrug::shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
"Mom! They said the "D" word on the General MC Message Board!"
:eek:4:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
This will probably get moved because you mentioned the one word that is taboo!
Darkside Darkside Darkside!:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to answer the question.

I'd ride 50 miles at up to 50 mph instead of crashing or sitting on the side of the road waiting for the flatbed.

Then I'd assess the size of the hole and go from there.

But then, I have that option....

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Put a plug in it maun, and ride it till it goes flat! No! the question you ask can really only be answered by yourself. I know what I would do, but that only works for me!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The fact that that appears to be some HUGE bolt that went into your tire, and towards the edge of your tread (instead of the center where the rubber is thickest) does not bode well for a good repair. If the hole is not too big after you pull the bolt out and it has not impinged on or scraped the sidewall, you MIGHT get away with filling the hole with a sticky rope plug AND a patch on the inside. I would not, in this case, trust just a sticky rope plug; and I certainly would NOT advise on the use of a mushroom plug as I have heard several people say they fall out frequently. If you do patch it, check frequently to see if it holds air well. If it does, you can probably ride it for its normal mileage lifespan. Some people would not take the chance of riding on ANY patched tire that been compromised with a nail, screw or bolt puncture. That is certainly their prerogative, but personally I have repaired 3 tires with sticky rope plugs (strangely enough another one TODAY!) and rode them to the end of their normal mileage lifespans with no problems.

·
Registered
307 Posts
ahhh the darkside. I would patch it from the inside and go from there. Depending on how the cord looks inside. As for the darkside - Luke you gotta ask yourself that question.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I live in Texas where a LOT of new housing is going up all over... after paying to repair 7 flats on 3 rear tires I went darkside and worry very little about nails now. I still get nails in the tires but they are simpler to plug and there is more casing to hold it in place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was a roofing screw so the hole wasn't too big. I put a plug in it for now but I wouldn't feel good taking a passenger.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Now that's a good one right there! Sorry honey you can't ride until I get a new tire. This one picked up a nail and I have a plug in it!:thumbup::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I certainly would NOT advise on the use of a mushroom plug as I have heard several people say they fall out frequently.
??? Did they put the mushroom head inside the tire???:wrong::lol:

·
15 year Member
6,946 Posts
PUNT!!!

Then get a new tire!!

Matt(BCNV) :thumbup:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Same thing just happened to me. *&#^(*#)#&^ !!!!! I opted to just suck it up and replace the tire since it's summer and I plan on spending it riding. Don't need the anxiety about the plug holding.....but that's just me.:lol:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Rear tire?? If so, tire removal and patch plug combo , by a qualified shop....then ride.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts