GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New-to-them Goldwing (5th gen) owner. This individual is related to me, so be nice!

If you were to give them counsel or advice on one single thing about a Goldwing (note, this isn't their first motorcycle, but their first touring motorcycle), what would it be?

NOTE: This is motorcycle-specific things, not ancillary things like clubs, gear, etc.

...and, go!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Spend a bunch of time reading on the forums. Learn to recognize who knows what they are "dispensing".
I tend not to research a lot prior to a new type bike purchase if it's what seems to fit my needs/wants. I learn a ton afterwards, hopefully mostly to learn how to fix things that go wrong, maintain it so things don't go wrong, and things to watch/look for that are known problem areas. Forum knowledge is much ahead of the general ownership group and way ahead of the curve on FB type social media groups.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Enjoy it, you obviously chose this bike style for a new reason. So go out and experience it for yourself and report back what you learned. Oh, and have them join this forum:sneaky:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Learn to ride the bike. Years ago I bought the "Ride like a Pro 3" video to learn the proper techniques for riding the Wing at slow speeds safely. Practicing those techniques regularly has made riding the Wing much more enjoyable and manuevering the 1000 lb beast a piece of cake.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Agree with "centerpunch".

I have watched Jerry "Motorman" Palladino give demonstrations (at various bike rallies) several times regarding how to ride/control a Gold Wing and Harley Davidson. He does the demonstrations on both bikes.

He produces the "Ride Like a Pro video's.....!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Teach your relative how to pick up the bike (safely) after they have (eventually) dropped it. Jerry's videos cover that as well but you can find tons of similar instruction on YouTube.

Teach them that it's okay for the bike to automatically detour into Dairy Queen parking lots.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
It took me a while to figure out where the power band is. Much more torque at lower revs than I was used to. I shift earlier and spend more time in 5th than I was expecting -- arguably not as early as the manual and some may suggest, but even revving a little higher than that it's much different than my V-twin and boxer experience.

Related to that, in the RLAP thing mentioned earlier, do slow speed maneuvers in 2nd gear for smoother power -- less jerky than 1st, still plenty of torque.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Watch the speed limit..........This bike can get you a speeding ticket , cause it's so smooth on the highway!

Ronnie

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Take it to a parking lot, ride circles, learn the lean angle, let them know sooner or later it will tip over on the crash bars (just a fact of life), then learn how to pick it back up. Beyond that, ride it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
New-to-them Goldwing (5th gen) owner. This individual is related to me, so be nice!

If you were to give them counsel or advice on one single thing about a Goldwing (note, this isn't their first motorcycle, but their first touring motorcycle), what would it be?

NOTE: This is motorcycle-specific things, not ancillary things like clubs, gear, etc.

...and, go!
If you want the most dependable (if you maintenance it) bike on the road for touring your in the right place.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

...and, go!

Well. With over 8000 posts, I ask you, what are the top 5 tips you would put out there?

·
Registered
454 Posts
1. Learn the bike (read the owners manual, etc) and keep it properly maintained. Cleaning is optional (I do clean mine on occasion).
2. ATGATT (I know you said no gear, but this is important)
3. Understand the laws of physics apply to you no matter what you think (I know this is not necessarily bike related, but also important).
4. Appreciate the open road, the wind in your face, and the thunder that's under.
5. Ride within your abilities.
Bonus tip - obey the rules of the road :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Unfortunately, and to my detriment, I have not read more than 2 of your 8000 posts and therefore likely cannot provide wisdom, insight or even council, however, since someone bought a Goldwing they should know this is the finest motorcycle in the world and should accept their purchase as a responsibility.

Therefore my one piece of advice is: to live up to that reputation.

G.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well. With over 8000 posts, I ask you, what are the top 5 tips you would put out there?
My original query was for one, not five...but I'll give you three ;) I did tell him to this point:

~ No floorboards
~ No heel-toe-shifter lever
~ Consider getting rid of the crash-bar mounted highway pegs for something different - then I pointed at my bike at what I have in it's place.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts