GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Say a prayer every time before you throw a leg over this Honda cruise missile. Repeat in your head 3 times "Push right go right - push left go left". Never become complacent while riding. Man must always control machine. Machine can NEVER control man. Do not ride at a pace that causes you to miss all the beauty around you. Very easy to get too fast too quick. Much seat time is required to be smooth and confident. Find 2 or 3 sensible buddies to ride with. Take MSF course. ATGATT. Study this forum for knowledge. Ride every time you can. And most importantly, HAVE FUN!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
New-to-them Goldwing (5th gen) owner. This individual is related to me, so be nice!

If you were to give them counsel or advice on one single thing about a Goldwing (note, this isn't their first motorcycle, but their first touring motorcycle), what would it be?

NOTE: This is motorcycle-specific things, not ancillary things like clubs, gear, etc.

...and, go!
Know the bike's capabilities and use it within those capabilities. If you want the bike to do something it isn't designed to do, forget about it.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Take it to a parking lot, ride circles, learn the lean angle, let them know sooner or later it will tip over on the crash bars (just a fact of life), then learn how to pick it back up. Beyond that, ride it and enjoy it.
Concur.

Another Goldwing-specific thing for me is how early the pegs drag relative to when something important drags. So there are two lean angles that matter, with some significant space between them.

Basically, don't lose your mud if the pegs scrape. There's plenty of room left.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1. Learn where everything is on your bike and the basics about how to care for it and problem solve any problems.
2. Practice, practice and practice riding the thing in some large arena parking lot where you can do circles, stops figure eights all sorts of things and get the Ride Like a Pro video series and follow it. It’s a large big bike that can be hard to maneuver in tight situations.
3. Find a good reliable GW mechanic in your area that you can trust. Talk to others who have used them. Unless you know and trust the previous owner go in and have in looked over top to bottom and all filters and fluids changed or replaced. Better safe than sorry so start fresh. This way they can also look for any worn wires or hoses that could be replaced now and save you problems later down the road.
4. If you are riding with a significant other make sure they have what they want and need on their riding area, well yours also. Such as cup holders and back arm rests or for driver a back rest. Make sure you will both be comfortable as you can be.
5. Get out there and enjoy it. Spend more time riding it than you do cleaning it! Enjoy the open road. They are great bikes.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Don't buy or use highway pegs. Makes it too easy to fall asleep while riding. Pass the Harley's whenever possible, with a smile and a wave.

·
Vendor
16,070 Posts
New-to-them Goldwing (5th gen) owner. This individual is related to me, so be nice!

If you were to give them counsel or advice on one single thing about a Goldwing (note, this isn't their first motorcycle, but their first touring motorcycle), what would it be?

NOTE: This is motorcycle-specific things, not ancillary things like clubs, gear, etc.

...and, go!
If it has prior transmission problems, it'll usually show up in the first 6 months of new ownership. Most owners who know their 5th gen has a transmission problems, will sell them before the symptom becomes reproducible.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Repeating and believing in what many others said. I searched for the most stock bike I could find in my price range so I could ride the bike, ride the bike some, then ride it some more until I learn what adds I wanted. So far it's been a GPS, a garage door button, an audio connection for my ipod and a drink holder for my rider, that she kindly shares with me. Goofy first choices maybe but each add has made the ride that much better for us. To each is on but go slow. and ride alot just how you bought it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Oooh, a garage door button.
I gots to get me one of them

Tell me more about this garage door button.
Is It something that will work on an 04 model or is it just for the new bikes ?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
AGATT
Learn how to safely ride this motorcycle
have fun
dont spend more time cleaning or buying farkles instead of riding
try new roads, towns, cities and states
reach out to people who may wanna ride with you
explore your new world on a GW

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ride a lot and enjoy yourself. Other than that be careful. I like that the GW is larger than most motorcycles, but defensive driving is still a must.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts