GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you pay (labor only) to have two new tires mounted and balanced and a full set of new front and rear brake pads installed on your GL1800 at your local bike shop? This is with the shop doing everything (wheels on the bike when you ride it to the shop). Also, will your local shop even install new tires and parts not purchased there? Lastly, if there's any difference between ABS and non-ABS, please note that as well. Thanks! "D

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
What did you pay? :lol:

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Labor, my WAG:

$45/each to mount and balance.
$42 charged as 1hr flat rate to change the pads.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
$35 per tire on or off bike, makes no difference where I bought the tires.
I believe shop time is $70 per hour, but I have not had them do brakes so I do not have a charge, but would expect to be at least one hour shop time.

Rock On

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
$45 per tire if you buy their tires at full retail or $65 per tire if you bring in your own tires. So at those rates, I never take my tires off and bring them in, I bring the whole entire bike in, and I don't worry whether or not they mind if Ride-On tire sealent in the tires. Tuff T**ty on them.

If you buy the dealers tires, my thoughts are that mounting and balancing should be free like at the HD shops. 8)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Same here 90 bucks for front and rear . No labor for brakes if done while doing tires !

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Big Wes said:
$45 per tire if you buy their tires at full retail or $65 per tire if you bring in your own tires. So at those rates, I never take my tires off and bring them in, I bring the whole entire bike in, and I don't worry whether or not they mind if Ride-On tire sealent in the tires. Tuff T**ty on them.

If you buy the dealers tires, my thoughts are that mounting and balancing should be free like at the HD shops. 8)
What a scam! Why should it cost more to mount tires that you bought elsewhere? It still takes the same amount of time.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm taking my wheels in and having new tires mounted, $28.00 mounted and balanced, otherwise $100.00 if I bring the bike in. :roll:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
Big Wes said:

What a scam! Why should it cost more to mount tires that you bought elsewhere? It still takes the same amount of time.
GREED I guess! :?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

Big Wes,
Cycle Gear on Lil' Creek Road in Norfolk, $25 each if tires bought from them and off bike, $35 if tires from else where and they just got an updated computer spin balancer. I like those odds and they are tryin' hard to get anykind of business, good folks so far. :wink:

:flg:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Here is the deal for us.

$25 to mount your tire or ours. We will be looking at this next spring.

$10 to Electronic spin balance. We use OEM wheel weights where we can.

$10 to R&R wheel off your bike. You guys with rotor covers and lights etc. are getting a real bargain. We are going to take a look at this in the spring as well.

$4 to dispose of your old tire. The recyclers charges us $3. We encourage everyone to haul your old tires out of our garage and save the $4.

Our investment to change tires is a tad over $9,000. Our insurance is $2,700 a year.

Our utilities are based on usage.

We give up weekends, nights and hot meals to accommodate our customers.

We maintain a tire inventory of between $3,000 and $7,500 to accommodate our customers.

Nope fellows, we ain't getting rich.

I don't think that greed has anything to do with the prices. Rape is illegal in all 50 states, making an honest living is not !

Bulldog

·
Registered
638 Posts
Here's the problem: some shop service mgrs give special prices to certain customers. So they expect these prices.

For example, two years ago I had my tires mounted and balanced at my local Yamaha dealer, the closest shop to my home, for $45 total. The service mgr had moved to this dealer from the dealer I bought my Wing from so I knew him well. He told me not to tell anyone about this price.

A friend told me his dealer charged him $40 total. I recently went to that dealer and was charged $70. When I told them the price they charged my friend they said it wasn't true.

I think that dealers who do this tend to hurt their business overall. Word gets out about the prices that have been paid and others expect these prices. When they are refused it creates bad feelings toward these dealers.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Bulldog said:
Here is the deal for us.

$25 to mount your tire or ours. We will be looking at this next spring.

$10 to Electronic spin balance. We use OEM wheel weights where we can.

$10 to R&R wheel off your bike. You guys with rotor covers and lights etc. are getting a real bargain. We are going to take a look at this in the spring as well.

$4 to dispose of your old tire. The recyclers charges us $3. We encourage everyone to haul your old tires out of our garage and save the $4.

Our investment to change tires is a tad over $9,000. Our insurance is $2,700 a year.

Our utilities are based on usage.

We give up weekends, nights and hot meals to accommodate our customers.

We maintain a tire inventory of between $3,000 and $7,500 to accommodate our customers.

Nope fellows, we ain't getting rich.

I don't think that greed has anything to do with the prices. Rape is illegal in all 50 states, making an honest living is not !

Bulldog
Well spoken Bulldog. Most people don't have a clue as to what it costs to run a shop.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am about due for some new tires and was just quoted $85 per tire for labor costs alone. This from Chicago Cycle at their new location in Skokie. Anyone know of a more reasonable shop in the same general area?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

I agree with ya BullDog, but y'all are affordable and some of the folks I've dealt with through the years in my area haven't been quite so affordable, to say the least. :wink: Y'all got it goin' on and with this notice I can see all the Jowsey, Pennsylvania and New Yawkers comin' yer way. 8)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
******* Dave said:
8)

Big Wes,
Cycle Gear on Lil' Creek Road in Norfolk, $25 each if tires bought from them and off bike, $35 if tires from else where and they just got an updated computer spin balancer. I like those odds and they are tryin' hard to get anykind of business, good folks so far. :wink:

Thanks Dave! I heard about that place this past weekend. I know a girl who works there. They are supposed to have some nice things in there.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Well put Bull :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts