GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a Victory but have a friend interested in purchasing a Goldwing. I found an ad for a 2010 with 40k miles on it which is advertised as being in immaculate condition. I know emission laws tightened up in '08 which caused some running issues with some vehicles for a couple years. Are there certain year Goldwings that are recommended over other years when considering a used bike?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Goldwings

All Goldwings are great but there are some differences in the GL1800's. I've owned a 2005 and 2009. There was a bigger than normal change made in the 2006 model year. Larger radiator. 01-05 Goldwings could overheat, not like a Harley but if going Parade speed or sitting for a long time running the temp gauge would go into the red. Had that issue with my 05. They made a nice change in the radio in 2006 too. If I was looking for a Goldwing or recommending to a friend I'd advice to look for a 2006 or newer. Prices are great and it is a great time to buy. Good luck to your friend in his search. Lots of great bikes out there for sale.
Dan

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I ride a Victory but have a friend interested in purchasing a Goldwing. I found an ad for a 2010 with 40k miles on it which is advertised as being in immaculate condition. I know emission laws tightened up in '08 which caused some running issues with some vehicles for a couple years. Are there certain year Goldwings that are recommended over other years when considering a used bike?
I have a 2006 and as some have mentioned there was a considerable change made that year. Mine had very low miles and had never had the brake recall done when I bought it in 2016. I had that taken care of right away and also had the Traxxion suspension up grade done in 2018. It is a great bike and as others have mentioned you can't go wrong with a Goldwing, no matter what the year. The maintenance done is more important than the year IMHO.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If I was looking for a Goldwing or recommending to a friend I'd advice to look for a 2006 or newer. Prices are great and it is a great time to buy. Good luck to your friend in his search. Lots of great bikes out there for sale.
Dan
Ditto
'06 to '10 last of the best American made:thumbup:
(Went back to Japan in '11 for the '12 model year.)
If the price is right on that '10, buy it!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I would suggest to you and your friend to not make any quick decisions or judgements. Take a little bit of time to learn the basic levels of Goldwings and their options as well as the changes through the years. The changes haven’t been huge but their are little differences that may or may not make a difference to you. Don’t assume all goldwing are loaded..... they are not. The higher levels in the later years have GPS/Nav, ABS, and airbags.

In general I would get the latest model you want to afford and ride, ride ride.

Enjoy the research and hunt. Its fun looking and getting a new bike.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
In general I would get the latest model you want to afford and ride, ride ride.

Enjoy the research and hunt. Its fun looking and getting a new bike.

As much as I hate to agree with this, that's great advice!

Reason: I own an 01 and an 02 and have never experienced any problems.

Rayjoe

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
I found an ad for a 2010 with 40k miles on it which is advertised as being in immaculate condition.
Most selling owners will say this "that their Wing is well cared for and garage kept." It's been my experience that well cared for means this. That the Wing was mostly clean and shiny its entire life, and it also got oil/filter, tires, and brakes changed as required. Outside of that, many are very poorly maintained. About the only thing one can count on is that they are clean and shinny when one goes and looks at it.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
If you can afford one, I'd suggest a '14 or newer.
The trans was significantly upgraded in 2014 to address failures and ghost shifting.
I agree with this. I had a 2010 and it ghost shifted.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I had a 2010 and it ghost shifted.

My 2010 doesn't ghost shift. I'm curious as to why some do and others don't. Is there a mechanical difference? Could it be the a difference in shifting methods? Or, could it simply be the type of oil used since the clutch and tranny operate in the engine oil? I certainly wouldn't say that any one particular model had an issue with "ghost shifting." So far, I have zero complaints with my 2010.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My 2010 doesn't ghost shift.

Yep, neither does our 2010 and as far as I've read, and it's been quite a bit on the subject, neither do the vast majority of GL1800's. I've always though it had to do with shifting/riding style, maintenance habits and possibly tolerance stacking during manufacture.

I knew of the ghost shifting thing before we bought our 2010 and found it to be so statistically infrequent that I didn't really consider it a factor.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Read all about it from our resident transmission guru:

http://www.justwings.com/Cause.html

In 2014 the transmission gears were redesigned with different dogs for changing the method of engagement, along with stronger metal in 4th and 5th gears, if memory serves me correctly.

Greg can answer this query for anyone.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
By 2014 the stiffer triple tree clamp was in place as well -- I'm not sure what was the first year, but iirc it was after the move to Japan. (so 2012 or later)

2012 an newer will have the usb input (in trunk) to the audio system. All years support the analogue audio input - but it may be necessary to get the harness extension since not everyone installed it.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
2010 was an excellent year. I wouldn't pay over ll,500 for it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
what is ghost shifting I have had an 02, 08 and still riding a 10 never had it happen on if I get lazy and don't shift it right I can miss a gear but that is my problem not the bikes

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
My 2010 doesn't ghost shift. I'm curious as to why some do and others don't. Is there a mechanical difference? Could it be the a difference in shifting methods? Or, could it simply be the type of oil used since the clutch and tranny operate in the engine oil? I certainly wouldn't say that any one particular model had an issue with "ghost shifting." So far, I have zero complaints with my 2010.
Not shifting habit or oil. Once its in gear it should stay in gear.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts