GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, my Sena btt ran out and I thought since the USB outlet from the bike does charge the phone, I could charge something else also.

Sooo, I bought that gadget on the pic at BestBuy thinking I could plug in my iPhone and a line from my Sena to the dual USB gadget, of course, plug the gadget to the bike's USB...no deal. The bike reject the dual USB box connect and does not allow my iPhone to connect to car play from one of its holes.

Let me see if I can make this more clear. I have this dual USB little box connected to the bike, then , on one its USB I plugged the Sena, on the other my iPhone--that's what does not work.

However, if you plug anything into the USB from the bike it does charge the unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
Recently, my Sena btt ran out and I thought since the USB outlet from the bike does charge the phone, I could charge something else also.

Sooo, I bought that gadget on the pic at BestBuy thinking I could plug in my iPhone and a line from my Sena to the dual USB gadget, of course, plug the gadget to the bike's USB...no deal. The bike reject the dual USB box connect and does not allow my iPhone to connect to car play from one of its holes.

Let me see if I can make this more clear. I have this dual USB little box connected to the bike, then , on one its USB I plugged the Sena, on the other my iPhone--that's what does not work.

However, if you plug anything into the USB from the bike it does charge the unit.
That's Interesting. You can also add the 2nd USB to your left saddlebag for charging phone, etc. :smile2:

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts

USB hubs are not supported. (P 92 in owner’s manual)

:doorag:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hmmm, Someone needs to read their owner's manual. LOL

Reactions: Doug Vann

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
If all you need is power in the shape of a USB plug..... Just get get https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7R8C2O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and charge anything you need charged over a USB connector..... You can save the bikes USB data plugs for something that needs that form of data connection. I have one of them on my 2018 powering my BT dongle that feeds bike music into my wired intercom/CB. I also have another in each bike that I can plug in and use whenever needed.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
My wife and I use Sena 30K headsets in the mesh mode. We always carry and use the Sena Powerbank.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I bought a failed Sena 20s online from someone who got caught in the rain. I paid $90 for it, but I was mostly interested in the helmet bracket. So when I got it, I took it apart and it looked like there was water damage on the circuit board. Sena units are REALLY NOT waterproof. You can find this out if you open one up. The USB connection is clearly not insulated from water intrusion. They count on the little rubber cover to keep the water out. For that reason it probably isn't a good idea to ride in the rain, with the unit plugged in.

Anyway, I ordered a battery, plugged it in and it has worked ever since. They actually supply the the little torcs driver to take the screws out. I order lots of little things from AliExpress. Yes, it is a Chinese company but I have had good luck with finding stuff just not available here in the states, such as this battery. You can find these batteries on Ebay for more money, and I suspect it's just someone buying them from China and then reselling them for a profit. Here is a LINK to the battery that works with the Sena 20s. It has gone up about $2 since I bought mine but at $13.85 plus $0.83 shipping, it is still reasonable. It takes a few weeks for delivery (slow boat from China).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts