GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend was in town from Colorado this week and called to ask, "Can I borrow your bike? I was invited to ride with some guys and don't have a bike." Of course, I said yes. This is a good friend and I trust him. He was out most of the day on the ride. I told him when he left that I had a surprise for him when he got back. I didn't tell him it had a CT on it. He loved the bike and said it rode "like it was floating". When he got back I told him he had been riding on a CT. He said, "it sure rode nice." Now, here's the point- if you don't know the bike has a CT on it you would never realize what we have done. Here's a blind "ride study" to validate the ease of riding these tires. By the way, my friend rides a lot of different bikes, and he would have noticed if there was something strange going on under him....

Just a short report on my own little study......

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
throttle,

well, on a couple of these you got me...and I admit to my "fail". I told my friend I did the pre-ride check and he was good to go. He trusted me. Maybe that's his "fail" for not checking it himself? (Self-justification is a wonderful thing.) Secondly, he has never ridden a wing before, so he had no idea of what to expect. Part of his commentary may be the fact that the wing is such a change from most bikes. And, last, I really do trust the tire and had no problems letting him ride it without telling him it was a CT. I can't imagine any seasoned rider having a problem with the bike or tire...so you make some good points, and I may have made some mistakes on his test ride, but I thought his lack of awareness of having a CT under him was very interesting.....thanks for your commentary. As Solomon said, "the first one to argue his case seems right until another comes along to dispute it." thanks for your thoughts.....

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
A friend was in town from Colorado this week and called to ask, "Can I borrow your bike? I was invited to ride with some guys and don't have a bike." Of course, I said yes. This is a good friend and I trust him. He was out most of the day on the ride. I told him when he left that I had a surprise for him when he got back. I didn't tell him it had a CT on it. He loved the bike and said it rode "like it was floating". When he got back I told him he had been riding on a CT. He said, "it sure rode nice." Now, here's the point- if you don't know the bike has a CT on it you would never realize what we have done. Here's a blind "ride study" to validate the ease of riding these tires. By the way, my friend rides a lot of different bikes, and he would have noticed if there was something strange going on under him....

Just a short report on my own little study......
I haven't rode a khumo yet, but I sure as hell would of noticed a car tire if I hadn't rode one before.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I don't know but I think that the reason the first time we ride our bikes on a car tire we are, unbeknownst to ourselves, putting weird inputs into the handlebars. Certainly this was true in my case. But then I knew it was going to work and no more shakey bar inputs, no more shaky handling. At any speed. Isn't that what we are all saying all the time, that we don't think about it at all, that to each of us it feels normal, etc. etc. Then we just push the handlebars like we used to with the mc tires and we get the same results. I whole hearted believe that if you loaned someone your bike with a car tire it would not feel weird to them, and my belief is because of the inputs. Anyone agree, or disagree?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
'Had a mechanic ride after he did some work on the front end. He got on some uneven road and felt it push him around like we all know happens. (The tire was a 195.) He wondered what the problem was until he checked the rear tire.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
jmho,,,if you cant tell the difference your clueless,,,,

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well i hade the stock steering bearings in my wing,at 78k they got loose and i readjusted them with a notch in the middle that you could clearly feel when riding,well i did not have the time to fix so ride on i did,i got used to it and after a while i did not even feel it,someone rode the bike and said it was terrible,so im guessing that if i use the ct guys logic there was nothing wrong with my bike and it was all good?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i hade the stock steering bearings in my wing,at 78k they got loose and i readjusted them with a notch in the middle that you could clearly feel when riding,well i did not have the time to fix so ride on i did,i got used to it and after a while i did not even feel it,someone rode the bike and said it was terrible,so im guessing that if i use the ct guys logic there was nothing wrong with my bike and it was all good?
Rick, that wouldn't be my conclusion. I think my friend was clueless to the car tire because he didn't know what to expect from a wing and may have thought what he was feeling was the bike, not a tire. We all adjust to the ride, good, bad or ugly, but it doesn't mean our cluelessness is a good thing. Personally, I will assume the feel of a bike is "normal" when I ride it the first time unless told otherwise. No excuses for bad mechanics here, but clearly an acquired acceptance of what the bike feels like....if you don't know any better.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Rick, that wouldn't be my conclusion. I think my friend was clueless to the car tire because he didn't know what to expect from a wing and may have thought what he was feeling was the bike, not a tire. We all adjust to the ride, good, bad or ugly, but it doesn't mean our cluelessness is a good thing. Personally, I will assume the feel of a bike is "normal" when I ride it the first time unless told otherwise. No excuses for bad mechanics here, but clearly an acquired acceptance of what the bike feels like....if you don't know any better.
ok good answer thanks,but what about all the folks here that say its no different at first on bikes they ride all the time?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the guys with the wider tires can feel the difference at first. If you do try it use a 175 width with round shoulders like the Dunlop winter sport and you wont feel it either. Now, what does the steering head bearings have to do with tires? You said you got use to the bearings, I said there was no difference in the feel of the tire to begin with.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I think the guys with the wider tires can feel the difference at first. If you do try it use a 175 width with round shoulders like the Dunlop winter sport and you wont feel it either. Now, what does the steering head bearings have to do with tires? You said you got use to the bearings, I said there was no difference in the feel of the tire to begin with.

if you cant feel a difference i guess i dont know what to say,

S

·
0 Posts
I have been running a CT rear for some time and I think there are two things I question about this post and I don't know if your friend rides a Wing or not.

1. If he didn't do his own pre-ride safety check of your Wing...lights, signals, brakes, tire condition and pressure, etc. he must not care much for his own safety...unless he was standing there when you did it.

2. If he didn't notice a different feel when going over curbs or notice it requires a little more steering input on slow cornering, I would be amazed.

I ride with several other very good riders and I would never let them take my Wing for a spin without informing them of the CT on the rear. There is a slightly different feel to a CT until you ride a few miles with one.:popcorn:

People actual do pre-ride safety checks? Really?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts