GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering why these bikes cost more than some cars. They have 2 wheels, less paint, leather less metal/fiberglass, less freight and same technology as most stock vehicles these day. Actually one could argue maybe even less tech if you consider active cruise, lane assist, airbags. Perhaps manufacturing costs? I understand it’s what the market will bear and just makes me wonder if they have a higher margin on bikes than cars ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Just wondering why these bikes cost more than some cars. They have 2 wheels, less paint, leather less metal/fiberglass, less freight and same technology as most stock vehicles these day. Actually one could argue maybe even less tech if you consider active cruise, lane assist, airbags. Perhaps manufacturing costs? I understand it’s what the market will bear and just makes me wonder if they have a higher margin on bikes than cars ?

Try packing all that technology into a much smaller package compared to a car and making it work reliably.
Goldwings are only produced at approx 15K - 20K units annually (guesstimate). Compare that to cars/trucks that are sold in the 100K - 600K units annually.
Mass volume means much cheaper costs all around.
Motorcycles are a luxury recreation item........just like ATVs, snowmobiles, etc. You gotta pay to play.

I don't feel they are unnecessarily overpriced......there is a ton of technology packed into these bikes.

Purchase a few accessories for the Goldwing and then tell me what is overpriced. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Production quantity.
Production quantity.
The motorcycle is a niche market experiencing a slow death. At 69 y.o., I am the the youngest local GWRRA Chapter member by at least five years (and fifty pounds). First person to join in years. Sad, but true. Annual U.S. sales for motorcycles was a million units in 2007. Today, it is less than half that with about a third of those being "off-road" vehicles. By comparison, U.S. car and truck sales average about 17 million units every year.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Simple, because they can. In all honest when you consider the fun factor and proven reliability of the Wing compared to other brands, I feel Honda left a lot of money on table and underpriced the new Wing.

·
Registered
19,244 Posts
Post above me is FAKE NEWS. All bike manufacturers experienced BRISK sales for 2020 the 500,000 unit comment is made up numbers. Yes a large portion was due to COVID restrictions and people wanting to get out. As to why a Gold Wing cost more than a entry level cars:

1) lower unit production
2) top of the line models always carry a premium price
3) latest Technology(only 7 speed DCT bike, only Apple Play bike etc...)
3) average Gold Wing buyer has a higher income

·
Registered
76 Posts
Post above me is FAKE NEWS. All bike manufacturers experienced BRISK sales for 2020 the 500,000 unit comment is made up numbers. Yes a large portion was due to COVID restrictions and people wanting to get out. As to why a Gold Wing cost more than a entry level cars:

1) lower unit production
Fake News? Topic: Motorcycle Industry in the United States

·
Registered
19,244 Posts
Your article uses number stats from 2017.

Why not 2020?

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you take a car under 18k, then add in the cool headlights, taillights, sound system and head unit, wheels and exhaust and who knows what after market gismos they offer...
You will be at the price of a Goldwing...

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I've often wondered that myself. Have always got the answer lower production numbers, more of the product assembled by hand, smaller packaging, and the fact that it has to all be water proofed. I understand some of it, but I will never understand why a MC tire cost 2-3 times as much as a similar size CT. as motorcycles has gained more technology, they have priced themselves into competition with vehicles that can be used year around. That is the choice many struggle with these days, and it seems that the more practical purchase is winning, at least in climates where year around riding is not plausible.

·
Registered
789 Posts
An unusual topic, but it's winter, so we're indoors, 'stuck', discussing stuff. . .

As mentioned previously, there's an economy of scale; Gold Wing production numbers are miniscule relative to the number of, say, Honda Civics produced annually.

Second, there is a perceived value that manufacturers can charge, and some people are willing to pay for. The Honda Gold Wing and some Harley Davidsons are examples of that in motorcycling. Is a Rolex watch any "better" than a Seiko? Are Danner work boots any "better" than Wal-Mart 'specials?' For some people, the answer is yes.

Finally, the Wing's pricing is an example of free enterprise, Honda knows how much it costs them to build and deliver the motorcycle. They likely examine the competition, and they set a price. Customers are free to compare the Wing to other bikes in the market and CHOOSE to buy - or not. If Honda sells enough Wings and makes money, they'll continue building them. If not, they'll stop. If customers find the Wing too expensive, they won't buy it.

It seems Honda has got its calculations right so far.

Tim

·
Vendor
17,802 Posts
Just wondering why these bikes cost more than some cars.
You didn't you get the email ??? Honda changed the rear light lens from clear to red !!!

·
Registered
582 Posts

1) lower unit production
What's fake about it? I see you bought a Wing instead of an HD. Like I said, the Wing is greatly underpriced, a stupid move on Honda's part when there isn't another manufacturer that can even come close to building a bike as good as the Wing for the same price.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
74 Posts
What's fake about it? I see you bought a Wing instead of an HD. Like I said, the Wing is greatly underpriced, a stupid move on Honda's part when there isn't another manufacturer that can even come close to building a bike as good as the Wing for the same price.
If they were underpriced they would all be sold before they reach the dealers.
Not everyone can afford a $30,000-$40,000 motorcycle. Motorcycles that price are a toy of the well heeled.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Who cares? I don’t. It’s the price I attach to the enjoyment of riding the open road, now 38k miles on my ‘18 Tour.
Actually I care or rather am interested. I’m not saying they are overpriced and first one to say the market sets the price. I’m just wondering if margins are better than cars and or if they are more or less expensive to produce. Components, labor, marketing, spares & dealer support is the equation just don’t know the answer.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,554 Posts
This Gold Wing is the most expensive vehicle I've bought so far..my car had a slighty higher MSRP than my Gold Wing, but with the incentives and GM discounts, I paid less for my nicely equipped car than I did for this Gold Wing.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts