GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Why? Same reason people pay 50 + grand for a pick up truck

$50K for a pickup truck is the going price pretty much for any full size truck at mid-trim level......$60 - 70K sticker is not uncommon for a 1/2 ton.
My 2020 Silverado RST sticker was $52K.....I purchased it in April 2020 at the start of Covid.
I got what I figure a killer deal as the dealers were sort of in panic mode when sales came to an abrupt standstill.
Mid-size Honda Ridgeline is about $42K.

It is what it is......

·
Registered
148 Posts
The cost of something and what people will pay are not exactly related. The price of something is what the market will bear..... regardless of what it cost. And works in both directions. Sometimes you can make a lot of money, and other times you can lose a lot of money. When it right for both parties - you have a successful market.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
878 Posts
Waterproofing. EVERYTHING on a motorcycle has to be waterproof, and rated to be waterproof at 100 MPH winds. Not so on a car.

Same with electronics - you can do industrial grade electronics in all the interior stuff in a car, but on a motorcycle it all needs to be automotive temp grade. That $0.85 FET is now $1.05, in the same quantities.

UV exposure. Glass filters something like 95% of all UV. Bike doesn't have UV filter for the saddle, "interior" (cockpit) plastics, etc. So you need higher grade plastics with more UV protectants added, that are stabilized over a wider temperature range.

And so on...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would like to know who on this forum can get the same feeling from there car that they get from this bike, and if you can why not save some money and sell the Wing? I have a motorcycle that cost twice as much as two 2021 Air Bag Wings why because I can not get that feeling from my Wing.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I bought my house for 63K :D

$50K for a pickup truck is the going price pretty much for any full size truck at mid-trim level......$60 - 70K sticker is not uncommon for a 1/2 ton.
My 2020 Silverado RST sticker was $52K.....I purchased it in April 2020 at the start of Covid.
I got what I figure a killer deal as the dealers were sort of in panic mode when sales came to an abrupt standstill.
Mid-size Honda Ridgeline is about $42K.

It is what it is......

·
Registered
247 Posts
When it comes to pricing motorcycles, they are viewed the same as planes, boats, snowmobiles, jet skis, ATVs, etc, they're all considered toys/luxuries and people who buy them are willing to pay a premium to get them...

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
878 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just wondering why these bikes cost more than some cars. They have 2 wheels, less paint, leather less metal/fiberglass, less freight and same technology as most stock vehicles these day. Actually one could argue maybe even less tech if you consider active cruise, lane assist, airbags. Perhaps manufacturing costs? I understand it’s what the market will bear and just makes me wonder if they have a higher margin on bikes than cars ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whatever you do, don't ever walk into a Harley dealership. I don't think your heart could take it ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Interesting comments and I have never studied the motorcycle or recreational vehicle market for statistics. For me, if I was to be concerned about the price of a Gold Wing, I wouldn’t own one - plain and simple. In my world it is nothing more than recreation, it is a nice motorcycle toy. It is a blast and I love my two-wheel Zen, don’t get me wrong and the after initial purchase stuff is insane when ya really look at it, but worth it to me - again, it is a toy, something for me to enjoy. I remember years ago, in ‘03 or ‘04 riding out to AZ to visit my folks and had a rear tire issue. I whined to my Dad about it and his reply was “if you can’t afford it don’t do it”. He was 100% spot on...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would like to know who on this forum can get the same feeling from there car that they get from this bike, and if you can why not save some money and sell the Wing? I have a motorcycle that cost twice as much as two 2021 Air Bag Wings why because I can not get that feeling from my Wing.
I think you mean to say ... you have "car or truck" that cost twice as much as much as two 2021 Air Bag Wings ?? But still, ($30k + $30k) x 2 = $120k ? I am lost.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've often wondered that myself. Have always got the answer lower production numbers, more of the product assembled by hand, smaller packaging, and the fact that it has to all be water proofed. I understand some of it, but I will never understand why a MC tire cost 2-3 times as much as a similar size CT. as motorcycles has gained more technology, they have priced themselves into competition with vehicles that can be used year around. That is the choice many struggle with these days, and it seems that the more practical purchase is winning, at least in climates where year around riding is not plausible.
I've wondered too about the reason for Bike tires. The lower production numbers answer doesn't seem right to me. Yeah, that was a good reason some years back, but the motorcycle tire hasn't changed THAT much in all these years. Setting up production equipment at first is expensive, but after a while that is re-couped, and that cost no longer applies. I know that tread designs change and tires change some, but $300 per tire change? I don't believe that.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Bottom of the line car produced in large quantities vs top of the line motorcycle produced in comparatively small quantities.

You want a fair comparison, compare a bottom line car and motorcycle or a top of the line car and motorcycle. The motorcycle will still cost more because of the smaller production scale, but it will be a closer comparison.

Reactions: ShanghaiDan

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think you mean to say ... you have "car or truck" that cost twice as much as much as two 2021 Air Bag Wings ?? But still, ($30k + $30k) x 2 = $120k ? I am lost.

Chuck
Twice as much as a 2021 Air Bag bike sorry 32kx2=64k now I have it correct thanks and in 2021 that bike is 74k.

·
Registered
582 Posts
When it comes to pricing motorcycles, they are viewed the same as planes, boats, snowmobiles, jet skis, ATVs, etc, they're all considered toys/luxuries and people who buy them are willing to pay a premium to get them...
I bought my two Wings to save on gas! My truck gets 13 MPG and the car gets 18 MPG. I simple can't afford to gas those two gas hogs up every week, considering the truck has a 36-gallon tank! Just doing my part to be Eco-friendly. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
An unusual topic, but it's winter, so we're indoors, 'stuck', discussing stuff. . .

As mentioned previously, there's an economy of scale; Gold Wing production numbers are miniscule relative to the number of, say, Honda Civics produced annually.

Second, there is a perceived value that manufacturers can charge, and some people are willing to pay for. The Honda Gold Wing and some Harley Davidsons are examples of that in motorcycling. Is a Rolex watch any "better" than a Seiko? Are Danner work boots any "better" than Wal-Mart 'specials?' For some people, the answer is yes.

Finally, the Wing's pricing is an example of free enterprise, Honda knows how much it costs them to build and deliver the motorcycle. They likely examine the competition, and they set a price. Customers are free to compare the Wing to other bikes in the market and CHOOSE to buy - or not. If Honda sells enough Wings and makes money, they'll continue building them. If not, they'll stop. If customers find the Wing too expensive, they won't buy it.

It seems Honda has got its calculations right so far.

Tim
All that is true, plus if sales at a particular price point fall short inventory accumulates, resulting in the price reduction on non-current year models which we all know and love. I suspect Honda builds that reality into their economic and manufacturing forecasting, estimating how much profit must be made at the end of the day, year, five-year window etc. I imagine a GL1800 sold with a $4000 discount at least makes Honda a little bit of profit, or they wouldn't keep doing things this way.

·
IronMan
17,631 Posts
Just wondering why these bikes cost more than some cars. They have 2 wheels, less paint, leather less metal/fiberglass, less freight and same technology as most stock vehicles these day. Actually one could argue maybe even less tech if you consider active cruise, lane assist, airbags. Perhaps manufacturing costs? I understand it’s what the market will bear and just makes me wonder if they have a higher margin on bikes than cars ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SAME REASON "PEOPLE" WILLING TO PAY $85,000 FOR A PICK UP TRUCK !!!
CAUSE THEY CAN GET IT !

Reactions: yellowrex
21 - 40 of 101 Posts