GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
878 Posts
Bottom of the line car produced in large quantities vs top of the line motorcycle produced in comparatively small quantities.

You want a fair comparison, compare a bottom line car and motorcycle or a top of the line car and motorcycle. The motorcycle will still cost more because of the smaller production scale, but it will be a closer comparison.
Exactly. A CTX700 DCT is cheap - and it accelerates faster, is more maneuverable, and lower cost to operate than a sub-$20K car. Twist-and-go (DCT), 60+ MPG, lots of storage options, comfortable, nimble, ABS, and you can get them for under $8K new.

I have one in my stable, and it's still fun to ride around! The Wing is amazingly nimble for as big as it is - it feels like a 1000cc cruiser. Jump on the CTX? I'm on a freaking skateboard.

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
74 Posts
Exactly. A CTX700 DCT is cheap - and it accelerates faster, is more maneuverable, and lower cost to operate than a sub-$20K car. Twist-and-go (DCT), 60+ MPG, lots of storage options, comfortable, nimble, ABS, and you can get them for under $8K new.

I have one in my stable, and it's still fun to ride around! The Wing is amazingly nimble for as big as it is - it feels like a 1000cc cruiser. Jump on the CTX? I'm on a freaking skateboard.
I felt the same when I went from a Kawasaki Voyager to a V Star 1300 Tourer. It was 720 lbs and felt like a bicycle in comparison.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well, not that I tried, but I cant split lanes in my Camry, so I got the GW.
My daily drive is 130 round trip, 99% is LA freeway traffic. Camry and the GW have the same MPG.
Insurance on the 2014 Camry is twice the Bike's.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Well, not that I tried, but I cant split lanes in my Camry, so I got the GW.
My daily drive is 130 round trip, 99% is LA freeway traffic. Camry and the GW have the same MPG.
Insurance on the 2014 Camry is twice the Bike's.
BINGO!

I don't care what the damn Google Lady says in maps - it is NOT 2 hours, 47 minutes from my house in Ventura to downtown Los Angeles - its a touch over an hour. Every day!

Lane splitting FTW!

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
748 Posts
Because HD grossly overprices their bikes, all other manufacturers of touring models got the green light to overprice their's as well.
Blame HD.
In '95 I bought a GL1500 for $11k - a Harley Electra Glide Standard was cheaper.
A new GL1800 is $21-27k ( depending on accessories). Same with H.D.
Price a Yamaha Eluder or Venture. Need I even mention BMW?

·
Registered
878 Posts
A brand new Kawasaki Voyager msrp is $17.5k. Weighs 895 lb.s. It is a bargain, but it's a heavy buggar!
As long as you're into the "love child of an AMC Rambler and a Tucker 48" front end...

:)

Reactions: Brian_Fenner

·
Registered
878 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Good! I would be worried if you wouldn't - this IS a Goldwing forum, after all. I like both...🎼"Sometimes you feel like a (wing) Nut, Sometimes you don't..."🎼
Question:

Could we unplug 4 cylinders, so we get the rumbly feel (and horsepower) of an HD?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Some of you guys don't know what you are missing. Goldwings are great but if the book that describes your riding has only one page in it that's a thin book.

Edit to add: flat sixes are great but fours (v, inline, or flat four), triples, twins (v, parallel, or flat) are all good. Horses for courses.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Who cares? I don’t. It’s the price I attach to the enjoyment of riding the open road, now 38k miles on my ‘18 Tour.

You're 100 % correct. Whether Honda, or ANY other maker, charges $10,000 for a bike or $90,000, one still has the option to simply say no. Yes, of course. Too much for someone ?? Don't buy one. Bottom line.....................it's Business 101. The bike, in this case, is worth what people are willing to pay. Yes.

·
Registered
867 Posts
An unusual topic, but it's winter, so we're indoors, 'stuck', discussing stuff. . .

As mentioned previously, there's an economy of scale; Gold Wing production numbers are miniscule relative to the number of, say, Honda Civics produced annually.

Second, there is a perceived value that manufacturers can charge, and some people are willing to pay for. The Honda Gold Wing and some Harley Davidsons are examples of that in motorcycling. Is a Rolex watch any "better" than a Seiko? Are Danner work boots any "better" than Wal-Mart 'specials?' For some people, the answer is yes.

Finally, the Wing's pricing is an example of free enterprise, Honda knows how much it costs them to build and deliver the motorcycle. They likely examine the competition, and they set a price. Customers are free to compare the Wing to other bikes in the market and CHOOSE to buy - or not. If Honda sells enough Wings and makes money, they'll continue building them. If not, they'll stop. If customers find the Wing too expensive, they won't buy it.

It seems Honda has got its calculations right so far.

Tim

ding ding ding !!! I'm pretty sure HONDA has all of this down pat. Of course.

·
Registered
867 Posts
What's fake about it? I see you bought a Wing instead of an HD. Like I said, the Wing is greatly underpriced, a stupid move on Honda's part when there isn't another manufacturer that can even come close to building a bike as good as the Wing for the same price.

Yes. Absolutely.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts