GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
We've already got two sets of jackets, one light set and one for a little colder weather. But here's MY problem. While riding, either because there's some sort of vacuum in the cockpit area or, it's just a normal action, both of my jackets tend to "balloon" out in front of me while I'm driving down the road. This bugs the he.. out of me. We've looked on a few sites and have come up with quite a few jacket that may or may not solve this dilemma. I don't need it "form fitting" but, I'd like it to not balloon as I'm driving.

I'm assuming those of you with leather ones don't do that. I don't have leather so, I can't comment on it. Now, we're not in the mood to spend $500.00 a piece on jackets but, a reasonable price is not out of the question. As for the weather that these will be used, not exactly sure just yet. We're not wet weather riders. If we get caught in it, well we can handle that but, we don't intentionally go out when we know it's going to rain.

So, normally cold weather, cool, would be the scenario for the use of them. We don't like "shorties" too. So, what do you guys think? Much appreciated.
Scott

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Here is a SMOKING deal in a great Honda leather/textile jacket for $99. When I first looked at one a year or so ago at a dealer, it was $360

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...onda_superhawk_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

I bought one recently and the leather is thick enough to keep in from the ballooning affect you talked about. I use it on my Rune w/o a windshield and it doesn't flap around either.

The textile part can be zipped out to reveal mesh under for hot days. The zipped out parts fit in the pockets.
The Honda logos are reflective and looks very understated during the day. I didn't want any blaring logos.
I got a size 52, since I usually wear an xxl in Joe Rocket jackets, and it fits perfectly.

I have 8 motorcycle jackets right now, and this one is by far the best AND the best deal I have had.

Logo w/ flash on camera:

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
Falcon I am not interested in the jacket, but thanks for a link to a great apparrel site. I had to bookmark it

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well I have a first gear leather jacket and it balloons big time. Doesn't bug me so much but its VERY heavy, downfall of leather I guess. I just bought an Icon Patrol jacket and I love it! It doesn't balloon on me, is lighter(just a bit) than my leather one, waterproof and removable liner for warm weather. It also has armour in the elbows and back which my leather one doesn't have. It sells for around 270 so not sure if its in the price range or not.;)

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Gents,
We've already got two sets of jackets, one light set and one for a little colder weather. But here's MY problem. While riding, either because there's some sort of vacuum in the cockpit area or, it's just a normal action, both of my jackets tend to "balloon" out in front of me while I'm driving down the road. This bugs the he.. out of me. We've looked on a few sites and have come up with quite a few jacket that may or may not solve this dilemma. I don't need it "form fitting" but, I'd like it to not balloon as I'm driving.

I'm assuming those of you with leather ones don't do that. I don't have leather so, I can't comment on it. Now, we're not in the mood to spend $500.00 a piece on jackets but, a reasonable price is not out of the question. As for the weather that these will be used, not exactly sure just yet. We're not wet weather riders. If we get caught in it, well we can handle that but, we don't intentionally go out when we know it's going to rain.

So, normally cold weather, cool, would be the scenario for the use of them. We don't like "shorties" too. So, what do you guys think? Much appreciated.
Scott
You live next door to where some of the best riding gear is made, it will cost you $500 USD but is worth it. Most cheaper jackets are not worth the money you pay for them. http://www.motoport.com/

·
Registered
512 Posts
fireup,

you may not really need to be looking at another jacket. it sounds like you do not have your waist adjustment(s) on your existing jacket(s) pulled down close enough to your waist,,,bottom line. Without having the waist /velcro strap up against tight to your waist,,,you are going to get the "updraft effect" be it,windy, or not windy while riding.
I have had several riding jackets and never had a one of them do the ballooning thing as you are experiencing.
Even with a mesh jacket, vents opened up,,as long as your waist straps are snug against waist you shouldnt even be getting the ballooning.

here are two good riding appearel online sites,,that are very reasonably priced.
if high dollar jackets / pants $300-$500 a pop are what interests you these will not be of any interest to you,i would guess.

Mens Motorcycle Jackets - Biker & Motorcycle Man Riding cordura gear apparel clothing clothes

Buy Motorcycle Helmets, ATV Helmets and Motocross Helmets Direct!

Anything I have ordered from either of the above two online vendors have worked out better than what I expected.
There are tons of appearal vendors besides these that are just as good with good functional bike wear,too.

take care,
bc

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Lots of jackets on the market.

I suppose unless you want to spend the money for the moto jacket, the kilimajaro is about the best of the textile types.

At least would be in the top three.

But even it has some of those aggravating Velcro strips on the vents, that fly shut as fast as you pry them open.

I have always wondered why they do that, on most all textile jackets.

I just cut them all off, carefully with a sharp razor knife.

Especially on the back vent, WTF...........how do they expect them to vent???

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
While I have several types of textile, mesh and leather jackets accumulated over the years, based on experience, I always wear leather when I plan on sliding down the road.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have a NEXGEN Cordura jacket with a removable liner and vent zippers in front and back...Bought it at a bike both at Street Vibes...Great all around jacket...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The Aerostich catalog has some good information about material and abrasion resistance.

Hector

1 - 11 of 11 Posts