GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I copied this from another board.

What'a Think?

There has been a lot of griping about dealership mechanics on this and other boards so I thought it might be time to put this in perspective.
First, a dealers servive people are paid by what the flat rate manual say's a certain job should take time wise, trouble is that manual does not allow for such things as rusted or stripped bolts, nuts and screws. It does not allow for someones prior inept attempts at repair or customization either mechanically or electrically nor does it allow for the problems delt to the machine by age or miledge.
Now, with the above in mind, realize that the mechanic will only be making about $10-$15 an hour on the flat rate manual and not be paid while he waits on parts and that the mechanic does not have any medical benefits unless he pays for a medical policy out of his own pocket. He usually does not have any paid vacations nor any retirement such as a pention and at least here in the Detroit area has to deal with lay-offs for about 6months of the year.
Now add to the mechanics expenses by requiring the mechanic to have his own tools to the tune of at least $60,000 worth and you can see that most motorcycle mechanics make less than the cart boy at WalMart.
As you can see, many of us dealership mechanics with any experience (I have 47 years) could not afford to apply our skills any longer, now the dealerships have to make do with local kids needing a summer job.
If the dealerships had the bikes coming in for service year round (like the Harley dealers do) then possibly they could afford to keep good techs.
I had to get out of it full time when I got married and started a family but as a part time job for a couple of days a week, it has been a little extra income.
Around here, a union worker at the Detroit three working sixty hours a week can make close to $100,000 a tear, a dealership mechanic working the same hours which is pretty normal, will be lucky to make $30,000 a year.
Sorry guys but you have no right to complain, hey when I first started working at a dealership in the early sixties, it normal for the customer to tip the mechanic who worked on his bike knowing that the skill of that mechanic could prevent a crash and great bodily injury! Do you think todays rider even gives a damn about that?
So before you go and belittle the poor wrench, give some thought to the above!

·
Registered
244 Posts
This is a internal problem between mechanic and dealer so no other comments will be made at this time until further negotiations are held.

Thank You :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wi_Winger. I have been a Union member for 28 years and understand the value of a good mechanic. I think the problem is the difference between the 12-15 dollars per hour the mechanic is making with no benifits and the $75.00 per hour the shop is charging. Granted they have to pay the overhead, but I am not sure that much is justifiable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
WHAT DO I THINK? I THINK IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU MAKE 30,000 A YEAR OR 100,000 A YEAR, YOU SHOULD STILL TREAT A CUSTOMER'S EQUIPMENT BETTER THAN YOU TREAT YOUR OWN. EVERY SINGLE TIME, AND I MEAN EVERY SINGLE TIME I HAVE TAKEN MY WING TO A DEALER THE MACHANIC HAS FIXED THE PROBLEM, ONLY TO MESS SOMETHING ELSE UP. WHETHER IT BE LEAVING MY PASSENGER INTERCOM CONNECTION UNDER THE SEAT SO I HAVE TO REMOVE THE SEAT TO FIND IT; LOSING MY RUBBER GROMETS SO I HAVE TO ORDER A NEW PACK OF THEM; LEAVING THE CONNECTOR FOR MY BRAKE LIGHTS UNDONE SO I DRIVE AROUND FOR A FEW DAYS BEFORE I REALIZE IT AND HAVE TO RECONNECT IT; REPLACING MY TIRE BUT BREAKING THE LITTLE PLASTIC THING THAT HOLDS MY VALVE STEM DOWN; OR ONLY PUTTING HALF THE SCREWS AND CONNECTORS BACK ON THE LOWER COWLING SO I HAVE TO ORDER NEW ONES.

I THINK THINGS SUCH AS I HAVE MENTIONED ABOVE ARE THE REASONS NO BODY WOULD EVEN CONSIDER TIPPING ONE OF THOSE "WRENCHES" AT A DEALERSHIP. I KNOW THIS SLAMS MECHANICS AND I AM SURE THEY ARE NOT ALL LIKE THIS, BUT THATS THE KIND OF EXPERIENCES I HAVE HAD AT DEALERS.

I THINK I WORK HARD FOR MY MONEY TOO AND IF I GIVE IT TO A DEALER FOR A FLAT FEE OR A COMMISSION FEE FOR A MECHANIC TO REPAIR SOMETHING; THEN THEY SHOULD REPAIR IT WITH PRIDE AND PROFESSIONALISM, NOT SLOPPY & HAPHAZARD CRAFTSMANSHIP.

AND BESIDES, YOU ASKED WHAT I THINK.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
WingAirSpeed, I agree 100%. Everytime I have taken anything to a dealership to be worked on I have had it returned to me either not repaired, parts missing or unattached, or otherwise damaged and I end up rerepairing what I paid someone else to do. The last time I got my vehicle back it was repaired properly but now has a permanent scratch in the paint about 3 inches long on the drivers side and had one that buffed out on the passenger side that was at least 18 inches long. One time, I had another motorist flag me down and tell me parts were falling off as I drove down the street away from the dealership. I turned around, collected parts as I found them and went back to the dealership. Every nut, bolt and screw that the mechanic had touched was loose, not even finger tight. All of this leads me back to the topic line: What's a Wrench Worth? My answer is a question: How good is he/she? If he does quality work then he is worth $30k to $50k a year, maybe more. If he does shoddy work then he only deserves minimum wage until he improves. If no improvement is seen in a reasonable time frame then he needs to find a different career.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
WingAirSpeed said:
WHAT DO I THINK? I THINK IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU MAKE 30,000 A YEAR OR 100,000 A YEAR, YOU SHOULD STILL TREAT A CUSTOMER'S EQUIPMENT BETTER THAN YOU TREAT YOUR OWN. EVERY SINGLE TIME, AND I MEAN EVERY SINGLE TIME I HAVE TAKEN MY WING TO A DEALER THE MACHANIC HAS FIXED THE PROBLEM, ONLY TO MESS SOMETHING ELSE UP. WHETHER IT BE LEAVING MY PASSENGER INTERCOM CONNECTION UNDER THE SEAT SO I HAVE TO REMOVE THE SEAT TO FIND IT; LOSING MY RUBBER GROMETS SO I HAVE TO ORDER A NEW PACK OF THEM; LEAVING THE CONNECTOR FOR MY BRAKE LIGHTS UNDONE SO I DRIVE AROUND FOR A FEW DAYS BEFORE I REALIZE IT AND HAVE TO RECONNECT IT; REPLACING MY TIRE BUT BREAKING THE LITTLE PLASTIC THING THAT HOLDS MY VALVE STEM DOWN; OR ONLY PUTTING HALF THE SCREWS AND CONNECTORS BACK ON THE LOWER COWLING SO I HAVE TO ORDER NEW ONES.

I THINK THINGS SUCH AS I HAVE MENTIONED ABOVE ARE THE REASONS NO BODY WOULD EVEN CONSIDER TIPPING ONE OF THOSE "WRENCHES" AT A DEALERSHIP. I KNOW THIS SLAMS MECHANICS AND I AM SURE THEY ARE NOT ALL LIKE THIS, BUT THATS THE KIND OF EXPERIENCES I HAVE HAD AT DEALERS.

I THINK I WORK HARD FOR MY MONEY TOO AND IF I GIVE IT TO A DEALER FOR A FLAT FEE OR A COMMISSION FEE FOR A MECHANIC TO REPAIR SOMETHING; THEN THEY SHOULD REPAIR IT WITH PRIDE AND PROFESSIONALISM, NOT SLOPPY & HAPHAZARD CRAFTSMANSHIP.

AND BESIDES, YOU ASKED WHAT I THINK.

Sorry they had to put you through that kind of service.

That said, let me say, if anything, as you claim in the above, ever happen to me after servicing my ride, I don't care if the dealership was 150 miles away,
I would make a list on things that are wrong, go back and talk to the owner, service manager, or whoever knows anything about the business..
And most of all, don't go back with a attitude. Smart @ss attitude will get you know were.

AND..........

Never ever buy/replace/fix/adjust anything that a dealer screwed up on. Just talk nice and show them what you don't like about their service,
and I'll bet 99.99% of all dealerships will work with you and go out of their way in making you happy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OK capslock is off sorry for that. Question, does just the thought of taking your wing to a dealer make you cringe? Have you ever just bought a miner part and repaired your wing yourself just to keep from letting a dealer 'WRENCH" put there distructive hands on it?

Oh yeah Motorcycleboy, I forgot to mention I also received a 4" scratch on the right side of my tank down by the bottom :x Now I actually vidoe tape a walkaround of my wing before it has to go visit a dealer "wrench".

·
Registered
55 Posts
Never ever buy/replace/fix/adjust anything that a dealer screwed up on. Just talk nice and show them what you don't like about their service,
and I'll bet 99.99% of all dealerships will work with you and go out of their way in making you happy
I'm sure you are absolutely right. Problem is I work full time and allot of extra hours, you know how that is. It is such a major inconvenience to take it back and drop it back off with the dealer almost an hour away, wife has to take time off to pick me up which is time, money and aggrivation etc.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
WingAirSpeed said:
OK capslock is off sorry for that. Question, does just the thought of taking your wing to a dealer make you cringe? Have you ever just bought a miner part and repaired your wing yourself just to keep from letting a dealer 'WRENCH" put there distructive hands on it?

Oh yeah Motorcycleboy, I forgot to mention I also received a 4" scratch on the right side of my tank down by the bottom :x
Now I actually vidoe tape a walkaround of my wing before it has to go visit a dealer "wrench".
IF I had to do this I WOULD NOT go to my local dealer (or any dealer where that is required)....chuck....PS I DON'T go to my local dealer

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I am in awe that that particular mechanic said he had a tool assortment that cost $60,000 ... I find that a little hard to believe...

cosmic

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for the post Winger. When I bought my 06 in Feb i went to the
dealer with the "best service dept in Texas". I didn't haggle on the
price of the bike. I bought all the plans the had,"they do it all".
Long story short owner passes good service guys gone and up a creek
with about $ 3,000 of special plans. The service I am willing to pay for
is no longer avalible. All I ask is fix it RIGHT NOT HOW MUCH, and I paid.

·
Registered
418 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in awe that that particular mechanic said he had a tool assortment that cost $60,000 ... I find that a little hard to believe.

Cosmic
Not hard at all. By the time you buy all the hand tools sockets, special socets, special wrencches, testers and all the specific tools need,ed to work on on the different makes,models, and systems Don.t forget the tool box to hold all these tools.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Devon.... i own and work in a cabinet shop.... all total i have just a tad
over $80K in tools in my complete shop... just the wide belt sander
was $14,300.00... i have hand tools also.. drills... chop saws...air nailers
saw dust vacuum to each peice of machinery... and lots and lots of shapers.. that run over $2,000 apeice all powered by auto feeders... that run about $850 each.. so i am very familar with prices of tools..

I find it very difficult to believe a bike mechanic has $60K tied up in tools..
and applys for a job that pays $10 to $15 an hour... :roll:

cosmic

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
I copied this from another board.

What'a Think?

There has been a lot of griping about dealership mechanics on this and other boards so I thought it might be time to put this in perspective.
First, a dealers servive people are paid by what the flat rate manual say's a certain job should take time wise, trouble is that manual does not allow for such things as rusted or stripped bolts, nuts and screws. It does not allow for someones prior inept attempts at repair or customization either mechanically or electrically nor does it allow for the problems delt to the machine by age or miledge.
Now, with the above in mind, realize that the mechanic will only be making about $10-$15 an hour on the flat rate manual and not be paid while he waits on parts and that the mechanic does not have any medical benefits unless he pays for a medical policy out of his own pocket. He usually does not have any paid vacations nor any retirement such as a pention and at least here in the Detroit area has to deal with lay-offs for about 6months of the year.
Now add to the mechanics expenses by requiring the mechanic to have his own tools to the tune of at least $60,000 worth and you can see that most motorcycle mechanics make less than the cart boy at WalMart.
As you can see, many of us dealership mechanics with any experience (I have 47 years) could not afford to apply our skills any longer, now the dealerships have to make do with local kids needing a summer job.
If the dealerships had the bikes coming in for service year round (like the Harley dealers do) then possibly they could afford to keep good techs.
I had to get out of it full time when I got married and started a family but as a part time job for a couple of days a week, it has been a little extra income.
Around here, a union worker at the Detroit three working sixty hours a week can make close to $100,000 a tear, a dealership mechanic working the same hours which is pretty normal, will be lucky to make $30,000 a year.
Sorry guys but you have no right to complain, hey when I first started working at a dealership in the early sixties, it normal for the customer to tip the mechanic who worked on his bike knowing that the skill of that mechanic could prevent a crash and great bodily injury! Do you think todays rider even gives a damn about that?
So before you go and belittle the poor wrench, give some thought to the above!
Gee, learn how to spell

·
Registered
5 Posts
The next time you are using your belt sander or table saw on your wing, let me know. I want to watch :twisted:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good mechanics

The Honda shop close to here is awesome. I know for a fact a couple years ago one of the mechanics made over 70k. He busts his but and does a great job. I have seen as many as three bikes torn apart and waiting for parts.

Yes there are bad mechanics but they wont last at a dealership very long. Returns are a mechanics nightmare. There is a certain time they get paid for each job. Most mechanics I know normally log over 60-70 hours a week and only work 40 hours.

I know one mechanic lost his jog due returns and that was due to his drug use. He now works for another shop not a dealership.

My suggestion is if you want it done right the first time take it to a dealership.

George

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
The next time you are using your belt sander or table saw on your wing, let me know. I want to watch
Be careful what you say, a Honda mechanic may take you seriously and use one on my godlwing next time I take it in for service.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
JudgeDredd331 said:
The next time you are using your belt sander or table saw on your wing, let me know. I want to watch
Be careful what you say, a Honda mechanic may take you seriously and use one on my godlwing next time I take it in for service.
I don't use a belt sander or table saw on my bike... but lots of hand tools interchange for bike and other machinery... I bet you did not know that
:roll:

cosmic

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
devon383 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in awe that that particular mechanic said he had a tool assortment that cost $60,000 ... I find that a little hard to believe.

Cosmic
Not hard at all. By the time you buy all the hand tools sockets, special socets, special wrencches, testers and all the specific tools need,ed to work on on the different makes,models, and systems Don.t forget the tool box to hold all these tools.
devon, I want to sell you some tools!

One can buy complete mechanics sets at Sears for under $5000, and that includes the toolbox. A mechanic may have to provide some precision gauges, like micrometers and calipers, but the bigger and more expensive ones are usually provided by the dealer. Service tools, like steering stem sockets and cam chain tensioners, are also usually provided by the dealer. Diagnostic tools, like Sun analyzers, are also provided by the dealership. $60,000 is way over the top.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts