GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't look like we're going to have snow for Christmas here in the upper Midwest, but living here all my life,
I always wondered what it's like spending Christmas in the south under sunny sky's, warm temps, palm trees,
cactus plants with no snow.

Without snow, what do you tell your kids, grandkids, or for some, great grandkids how Santa comes the night before Christmas
with his sleigh on the house tops, landing on those ceramic tiled roofs?

Does your Santa wear a red suit (which must be warm), or is he a fat guy wearing a spedo carring a surfboard......LOL

What about all those Christmas songs about caroling out in the snow, or jack frost nipping at your nose?

What do you do with those chestnuts if it isn't cold enough to roast them on a open fire?

Do you just dream of a White Christmas? :snow1: :snow1: :snow1:

Anyhow..........Season's Greetings to all, no matter were you live and God's blessings going into another year of cycle riding.

P.S. What's it like on Christmas Eve to take a nice slow ride on your Goldwing in the desert or along the beach watching the surf?..........Oh.... you guys got it made.

Holiday Cheers to One and All ! :xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Mike ... here in the south (where its warm) santa does wear a red suit..
and his pirouge (not a sleigh) is pulled my alleygators... we do not roast any nuts by the fire..... we simply boil crawfish or shrimp... we do sing Christmas carols ....
and exchange gifts... south Louisiana (Gods country) is in the USA and we talk either french or english.. and proudly display the American flag..
But we don't have to put our bikes in storage for the winter... (12 month riding season).. and I just love the sunshine & warm weather..
you should come visit one day.. (don't bring lots of stuff when you do visit thou).... cause you cannot stay !!!! :lol:

by the way... MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A JOYUS NEW YEAR ....

cosmic

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cosmic_chariot said:
you should come visit one day.. (don't bring lots of stuff when you do visit thou).... cause you cannot stay !!!! :lol:
cosmic
Geezzzzzz cosmic, What ever happen to all that "good old boy southern hospitality"??............LOL

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
We tell our kids that Santa comes on a Goldwing because it is big and strong and can carry lots of toys and presents. Running light from Lewis lite his way, and our kids know that snow is for those people that cant admit that life is better in the sun. No matter where you are we from Florida hope you have a great Christmas but request you dont forget the reason for the season.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
[quote="cosmic_chariot":2tmb0ps1]
cosmic
Geezzzzzz cosmic, What ever happen to all that "good old boy southern hospitality"??............LOL[/quote:2tmb0ps1]

Its because of "those northeners" who want to take our southern bells
back wif them... :p

cosmic

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's my first winter in San Diego (just West of South), I guess I'll find out what we do. I'm guessing tho, there'll be an afternoon ride on wing in there somewhere. Merry Christmas Gents... and Gentesses?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm fairly new to San Diego, after living my entire life in the Pacific Northwest. To me it seems crazy that we go Christmas shopping on Dec. 23rd, and have to run the AC in the truck on the way to the mall.
It does get cooler at night in December, I guess that's how the locals know it's winter. Today's high at the house was 72°. I went Christmas shopping in a Chargers jersey, shorts, and flip flops.
Merry Christmas to everyone!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Have a fine time during Christmas Season. I don't have to tell my kids about Santa, as they have already figured it out. :lol:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
For the Aviation types out there.

Twas the night before Christmas, and out on the ramp,
Not an airplane was stirring, not even a Champ.
The aircraft were fastened to tiedowns with care,
In hopes that come morning, they all would be there.
The fuel trucks were nestled, all snug in their spots,
With gusts from two-forty at 39 knots.
I slumped at the fuel desk, now finally caught up,
And settled down comfortably, resting my butt.
When the radio lit up with noise and with chatter,
I turned up the scanner to see what was the matter.
A voice clearly heard over static and snow,
Called for clearance to land at the airport below.
He barked his transmission so lively and quick,
I'd have sworn that the call sign he used was "St. Nick".
I ran to the panel to turn up the lights,
The better to welcome this magical flight.
He called his position, no room for denial,
"St. Nicholas One, turnin' left onto final."
And what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a Rutan-built sleigh, with eight Rotax Reindeer!

With vectors to final, down the glideslope he came,
As he passed all fixes, he called them by name:
"Now Ringo! Now Tolga! Now Trini and Bacun!
On Comet! On Cupid!" What pills was he takin'?
While controllers were sittin', and scratchin' their head,
They phoned to my office, and I heard it with dread,
The message they left was both urgent and dour:
"When Santa pulls in, have him please call the tower."
He landed like silk, with the sled runners sparking,
Then I heard "Left at Charlie," and "Taxi to parking."
He slowed to a taxi, turned off of three-oh
And stopped on the ramp with a "Ho, ho-ho-ho..."
He stepped out of the sleigh, but before he could talk,
I ran out to meet him with my best set of chocks.
His red helmet and goggles were covered with frost
And his beard was all blackened from Reindeer exhaust.
His breath smelled like peppermint, gone slightly stale,
And he puffed on a pipe, but he didn't inhale.
His cheeks were all rosy and jiggled like jelly,
His boots were as black as a cropduster's belly.
He was chubby and plump, in his suit of bright red,
And he asked me to "fill it, with hundred low-lead."
He came dashing in from the snow-covered pump,
I knew he was anxious for drainin' the sump.
I spoke not a word, but went straight to my work,
And I filled up the sleigh, but I spilled like a jerk.
He came out of the restroom, and sighed in relief,
Then he picked up a phone for a Flight Service brief.
And I thought as he silently scribed in his log,
These reindeer could land in an eighth-mile fog.
He completed his pre-flight, from the front to the rear,
Then he put on his headset, and I heard him yell, "Clear!"
And laying a finger on his push-to-talk,
He called up the tower for clearance and squawk.
"Take taxiway Charlie, the southbound direction,
Turn right three-two-zero at pilot's discretion"
He sped down the runway, the best of the best,
"Your traffic's a Grumman, inbound from the west."
Then I heard him proclaim, as he climbed thru the night,
"Merry Christmas to all! I have traffic in sight."

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I've lived in Miami, Florida all my life. The "norm" for December 25th is 80+ degrees. Not at all unusual to jump in the pool on Christmas Day.

However, there have been a few cold ones and that makes it really nice for us down here in the tropics.

The coldest one that I can think of was 1989. It was 29 degrees and we had frost. Perfectly clear sky. I took a video of the frost and I scraped "Christmas Day 1989" in the ice on the rear window of the wife's Honda Prelude.

That's about the last "Cold Christmas" I can remember.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Zonker said:
I've lived in Miami, Florida all my life. The "norm" for December 25th is 80+ degrees. Not at all unusual to jump in the pool on Christmas Day.

However, there have been a few cold ones and that makes it really nice for us down here in the tropics.

The coldest one that I can think of was 1989. It was 29 degrees and we had frost. Perfectly clear sky. I took a video of the frost and I scraped "Christmas Day 1989" in the ice on the rear window of the wife's Honda Prelude.

That's about the last "Cold Christmas" I can remember.
I remember in the early nineties where it go close to 20 and stayed cold for about a week, wasn't during Christmas though, think it was in Jan.

I remember around 85 or 86 on christmas day when I went of the apartment to get a paper, walked about 50 yards both ways and was sweating when I got back. It was then I was determined to get out of S. Fla. since I believed that was no weather for christmas. Finally left in 2000.

Mike

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here in San Diego we wrap aluminium foil around the trunks of palm trees. Santa does wear a red suit and he still drops in out of the sky but instead of a sleigh he parachutes in.
The closest we get to a white Christmas is patchy fog.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Wi_Winger

Down here in the South, we tell our kids it's you folks living on the frozen tundra that don't know about Santa Claus. The story down here is that because you folks are snowed in all winter, all you can do is make up stories about "frost bitten" noses, standing in the cold snow singing songs and nobody down here has ever seen a chestnut. Much less tred to roast one.

Now don't get me wrong. They all believe in Santa Claus, his sleigh and the raindeers. But you must understand, all southern kids knows what happen if it snows 1 inch. Everything is closed down. That explains why you northern souls must have Santa, sleigh and raindeers. Down here his sleigh is a 1965 Chevy pickup. His raindeers are replace by a 350CI small block with a blower and Rudolf is actually a Blue Tick hound that rides in the front seat with Santa.

I hope this clears things up for you and all my northern breathern :)

Merry Christmas --- from the deep south

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cosmic_chariot said:
[quote="Wi_Winger":j4jup2wc][quote="cosmic_chariot":j4jup2wc]
cosmic
Geezzzzzz cosmic, What ever happen to all that "good old boy southern hospitality"??............LOL[/quote:j4jup2wc]

Its because of "those northeners" who want to take our southern bells
back wif them... :p

cosmic[/quote:j4jup2wc]

I do feel the need, Mr. cosmic to apologize for this behavior because this time of the year up here is the season were man are man and sheep are nervious.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Southern Christmas Decorations

1 - 20 of 34 Posts