GL1800Riders Forums banner

When considering a new bike, what is most important to you.

• Product (Wow factor)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quality (Workmanship)

• Cost of Ownership (Maintenance Costs)

• Sales (Experience with Dealership)

• Service (Experience with Maintenance Shop)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/motorcycles J.D. Power and Associates just released their ratings of motorcycles from several manufacturers. However, these numbers don't tell the entire story. In order to figure out where these manufacturers really rate, a weighting scale needs to be applied to the numbers....

Thus - this poll.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
tjshelton said:
On http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/motorcycles J.D. Power and Associates just released their ratings of motorcycles from several manufacturers. However, these numbers don't tell the entire story. In order to figure out where these manufacturers really rate, a weighting scale needs to be applied to the numbers....

Thus - this poll.
The story isd in the questions asked... Surprised to see Victory so high!!!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:roll:

After several years of HD and the "fun" involved with that type of ownership the Wing is just what the shrink ordered. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I try to find a bike that fits my needs first. Then I start narrowing them down from there. The hardest part when looking at new bikes is dont look at a BMW unless you can afford one. They put some great products on the road. Thier workmanship is next to nobody. Go look at the details of the LT VS the Wing, no comparison. Dont really care about the sales part of it. Once I have given them my check I dont care if I see them anymore. I can always get along with a service dept. I am on thier same level in the gene pool.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I start by looking at quality products (Honda, et al), then see what fits me, or what fits what I am looking for...though I will stop at any dealership to sit on bikes and have some fun...

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I see that for once in my life I am with the majority - quality is the issue. While quality is subjective - everyone has their own idea of what "quality" means - if the product is a quality product, then all the other categories are taken care of. A quality product doesn't have recalls or issues with manufacuring. And a quality product meets the needs of a broad range of users. There is no such thing as the perfect anything - everything may be improved one way or another. The problem is that improvements for some may make the product unappealing or useless for another. How'd you like to be the engineer with THAT problem?

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
If QUALITY is the best it can be, then my cost of ownership will be low, my bike won't see the service department...

I can deal with the idiot sales force

WOW factor is personal....it may be really cool looking etc. but if it is inherently a piece of crap who cares?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arn Butt Bill said:
need more lines on your poll...
I put in the same criteria that JD Powers used in their ratings. I would have added a few (such as comfort and power, etc.)

These ratings are for the manufacturer, rather than for a specific bike model, so when they say "Honda" they are including, sport bikes, cruisers, sport tourers, and tourers. I'm not sure if their dirt bikes are included.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I picked #3. When I was replacing my Cruiser, One of the reasons
I went with the Kawasaki over a Honda VTX was that there is no valve
adjustments. My primary reason was the Kaws have self-canceling
turn signals.

As far as quality, I really didn't have a choice. My local dealership
only carries Honda, Suzuki & Kawasaki. All 3 of those represent
quality, so that wasn't my concern.

Herb

·
Registered
977 Posts
Subaru used to have a slogan. "inexpensive and build to stay that way". Subaru's are very reliable. I put 384,000 on mine before the trans gave up.

Honda's reputation for a long lasting, quality machine led me to my purchase of the wing. And the wife liked the feel of the seat better than any other we checked out. Before my purchase I saw several on the board that had many thousands of trouble free miles.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I think many manufacturers have taken a hit on the quality issue. To some extent it's an accurate indicator, but I think we as consumers have become more and more demanding over the years....and more vocal too. Ten or twenty years ago a problem was an isolated incedent between the consumer and the supplier. Now with the internet we band together and compare notes. This isn't a bad thing at all, but I believe it creates an artificially high perception of the actual percentage of problems and dissatisfied consumers. I voted for the Wow Factor because that's why I bought this motorcycle. I thought it was the coolest machine on the road and I wanted one.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I chose quality simply because that was my first choice. I selected manufacturers that I trusted quality, then selected models that fit my needs (touring, sport touring, at least 4 cylinders), looked at maintenance intervals, a little hemming and hawing over the ones I really wanted, considered passengers, then made my choice.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Quality for me is #1.

If I used the Dealership criteria and Honda's dealership warranty network program, I would have been hard pressed. And I am not all that anal about this subject.

Cost of ownership is a factor for sure. Take the V-rod and the valve checks, for instance. $$$$$$

WOW factor, only one that has to be "WOWED" is me.

Lots of factors, but quality was most important.

Bulldog

·
Registered
95 Posts
I selected quality but that to me means reliability. I broke down on an 83 Venture Royale on a trip way up into British Columbia back in 84 and that 'sick' feeling when you're 50+ miles from the nearest 'anything' really made a lasting impression.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Find it interesting that only about 5% picked Sales or Service as their primary concern.

Then I look at this board and the complaints on it, and about 95% of the complaints are to do with sales and service.

????? :?:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts