GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the posts on this board for awhile now and have finally decided to join. I currently own a 2004 Honda Aero that has been a great "starter" bike for the last 2 years but have made the decision to move up to the "king" of motorcycles. I plan on purchasing a 2007 Airbag Wing either in Red or Orange Metallic. Which one is the fastest :?:

My concern though is that next year,2008, that Honda will come out with a new model and I'll regret having not waited for the new model. The wing that I purchase now will be with me for a long time since this is a very expensive purchase. Do any of you forsee a new Wing model anytime soon knowing that the last was in 2001? Or should I just go for it and get the '07?

Thanks everyone for your insight.

Also, I plan on getting the cb/ antenna put on as well as purchasing the extended 4 year warranty? Good or Bad idea?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Tommy,

You can always wait for the 08, and then wait for the 09, and then wait for....

Not one person on this board has any idea. Many have opinions, but none have any facts. Don't let anyone fool ya. Even with their crystal balls and psychic abilities.

Welcome aboard.

Bulldog

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Don't see a new model in the future. It usually takes another manufacturer to push Honda to introduce something new. No competition except the BMW.

You have 3 years to purchase the ext warranty. You can usually buy the 4 year on the boards from $400-450. You can also install the CB after the purchase. It's not something you have to order with the bike.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Buy the '07 and start riding. As the Dawg said no one has a clue as to what the '08s will be and if they say they are wrong. Honda is better at keeping secrets than the CIA. :D

Enjoy the '07 and if you like the 08 or 09 better then trade away. I'm keeping my 05 at least until the new motor comes out in 2010 or so. (like I have any clue as to when that will really be).

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Welcome aboard!!! I wouldn't wait. Truthfully I don't think they will make any major changes for a few years because they spent a ton of time and money changing the 2006 models with the GPS, speaker system and then the air bag model. They have to recoup their money from doing all those changes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The only thing you get by waiting is not riding a Glod Wing I too waited and the only positive is I now have a wing... A whole lot of negative waiting for over three years missing out on the fun and pleasure of wing ownership.

GO FOR IT :D :D :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yellow IS the fastest color. To bad they are not making it anymore. Jump in and get an 07. You will not be sorry that you did. :D

·
Registered
21,132 Posts
about the only change i'm expecting for 08 is that ABS will become standard equipment

i hope they start making pearl yellow again

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Like it was stated above, lots of ideas, but no one really has a clue. There's a lot of things we'd all like to see changed or added, but Honda reveals nothing until the trade show in September.

My advice is to get the 1800 and start riding. Otherwise you could be waiting a long time. The same was said by some about the time the 1800 appeared, but no one had any idea until Honda sprung it on us. Many are still happily riding their 1500's. Buy, ride, and enjoy.

Oh yeah, ditto on the yellow as the fastest.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I believe Honda will keep the 1800 for around 10 to 12 years and then come out with a lighter bike with smaller engine that matches 1800 performance but gets much better milage and has easier maintenance. The handling will be improved. Maintenance will be simpler with hydraulic valves and V-tech. Fuel range will be increased.
I believe there will be many riders who will prefer the 1800 over the new 2012 1400 +/- model just like with the 1500. So if you are itching for an 1800 only one thing will solve the problem and that isn't waiting.

·
Registered
86 Posts
of course, one way to save money is find a used 1800 and have more for gismos and gadgets. Alot of info here and enjoy the ride

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
You could always buy a used one pretty cheap and ride it until the next model comes out. The GL-1500 ran for 12 years !! This model is only 6 years old !!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Tommy D.,
Last month I held a poll (of buyers, not window shoppers) to determine the most popular colors for the 07 Wing. I'm an engineer and after careful consideration of the facts it seems to me that the fastest color has to be the most popular color... which by far was orange. If I recall properly, nobody that responded had bought a red Wing, a fact that I found surprising. Of course, if you want to display that you are a man with discerning taste, then there is only one choice to take... BLUE!!!! Speed isn't everything.

All kidding aside, go for the 07. It's a great bike and they have all of the bugs worked out of the design (except for the infamous wobble).

Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for the very warm welcome to your message board. I really appreciate your replies. I am now convinced that I'm going to go forth with purchasing the '07.

I look forward to conversing with all of you from here on out as I'm sure that I'll need advice from the veteran Wing riders.

BTW, have many of you purchased the extended warranty and if so, for how long?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,132 Posts
Tommy D said:

Thanks
not sure about your question but there is only one option with the extended warranty, the original is 3 years unlimited miles and you can buy 4 more years unlimited miles, you don't have a choice to buy less or more than 4 more years

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Tommy D said:
Thank you everyone for the very warm welcome to your message board. I really appreciate your replies. I am now convinced that I'm going to go forth with purchasing the '07.

I look forward to conversing with all of you from here on out as I'm sure that I'll need advice from the veteran Wing riders.

Thanks
Hey Tommy, Welcome to Gold Wing world, where only the ego's outperform the bikes. :lol:
Several of the folks have posted about the 4 year extended warranty for a total of 7 years.
And they have mentioned the "street price" of about $400 or a hundred a year.
When I bought the 07 a couple of months ago, the dealer gave me one year extended warranty FREE,
and since Honda will only give a total of 4 extended years, they just charged me $300 for the 4-year extension.
I don't know if others will match the deal but it can't hurt to ask when you are negotiating.
I bought mine through Sport Cycles, Rockingham, NC.
Welcome again, and enjoy the ride. :)
DC

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Tommy -- check on Hal's price on the Extended warranty.. it just might save you a fist full of bucks versus a dealer selling the SAME waranty

cosmic

1 - 20 of 37 Posts