GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded from an '86 GL1200 to a '06 GL1800. I'm pretty pumped except for this one thing.

Perhaps this has been discussed before (I'm new to this forum) but I couldn't find anything about it with the search tool.

I'm not sure how to describe this sound but if I didn't know any better I'd say that my new wing had a supercharger on it. Or it was powered by a jet engine. I'm not saying the sound is real loud, it's just a high pitched whine or howl. This sound is not a tranny sound, I get it when the bike is idling. It's not very loud at idle but when I increase the rpms it gets louder.

When I drive, the road noise eventually masks the sound as I pick up speed but I'm very curious to know what this sound is and if there is a remedy for it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Whine

It has been discussed many times on here. It seems to be the alternator gears. Some wings have it and some don't. Maybe search for "alternator whine". jim

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Gear driven alternator, started in 06. Some whine and some don't. I guess you got one that does.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yep,

Just purchased my first Wing, an 06, used...sorry pre-owned, and noticed the whine on my ride home. Asked the dealer about it and he explained to me that it is a "normal" engine sound. When asked if it could possibly be quieted down, the response I got was; since there is nothing actually wrong, there is really nothing to fix.

Should I be looking forward to this ownership experience?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
My 06 was a whiner but it seems to have quieted down. It seems like around 15k I stopped noticing it.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Gear driven alternator, started in 06. Some whine and some don't. I guess you got one that does.
???
They have been Gear driven since the 1500, Maybe earlier
From the pics I saw the 1500 had Angle cut gears.
The 1800 Has Strait cut gears.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Yep my 07 had it right out of the dealer. I talked to the dealer and he said normal sound. I now hardly hear it at all anymore after 24,000 miles. After you get to speed I never notice it. Guess I'm just used to it. Really not a big deal to me.

Fred

07 Blue Wing

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Did a little looking around
Looks like the 1000, 1100 and 1200 were Chain driven
Then the 15 and 1800 were gear driven.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but beginning with '06, the alternator was somewhat larger, referring to the total output.

My understanding is the '01 to '05 was a 1000 watt alternator and the '06+ are 1200 watt alternators. Could be that difference in size might make a little more noise.

My '06 does the same thing and has done it since day one (3/18/06) and with 50K miles coming up this week, it still does it. I've gotten so used to it that after a mile or two, I don't even hear it.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Is the Wine red or white?...LOL

If you can hear the Whine, either you are not going fast enough or the tunes are turned down too low....LOL

Actually I would miss the whine in my 07 if it ever went away.

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I got an 05 and I hear whining sometimes. But it only seems to happen when I am packing her...it comes through the inner-com

·
Registered
355 Posts
Whining

MY 08 new does it. I thought something was wrong too. Nothing appeared wrong all worked fine but it did make me wonder. I am hoping that once I put in the synthetic oil (I almost have 4K miles) it will soften or go away.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Could you guys please type louder? I've got this whinning in my ears.;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Gears

???
They have been Gear driven since the 1500, Maybe earlier
From the pics I saw the 1500 had Angle cut gears.
The 1800 Has Strait cut gears.
Yep. The straight cut make a bunch more noise than angle cut gears. This is still an issue on the Yamaha RS Venture clutch basket. I had a big time whiner. My Yamaha R1 does it too as it has a straight cut gear on the clutch basket.

The advantage is the straight cut gears are stronger.

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
The angle cut gears are more difficult to generate and they need something to handle the side thrust. They are just more expensive. A nasty word in Hondaland.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just upgraded from an '86 GL1200 to a '06 GL1800. I'm pretty pumped except for this one thing.

Perhaps this has been discussed before (I'm new to this forum) but I couldn't find anything about it with the search tool.

I'm not sure how to describe this sound but if I didn't know any better I'd say that my new wing had a supercharger on it. Or it was powered by a jet engine. I'm not saying the sound is real loud, it's just a high pitched whine or howl. This sound is not a tranny sound, I get it when the bike is idling. It's not very loud at idle but when I increase the rpms it gets louder.

When I drive, the road noise eventually masks the sound as I pick up speed but I'm very curious to know what this sound is and if there is a remedy for it.

Thanks in advance.
It has a littl but I may have finally fiured it out...e-mail me at [email protected] call this evening after 7:30 pm EST at 270-927-8258...too lenghty for me and limited time, Thanks,Mike

·
Registered
360 Posts
I got an 05 and I hear whining sometimes. But it only seems to happen when I am packing her...it comes through the inner-com
__________________________That's Funny, Dangerous, but funny.

Our 03 had such a terrible whine that I thought I was going to go deaf from the noise, then at about 8k the noise went completely away. I think it was the cam chains, but who knows. I figured since it was under warranty, I'd ride it, until it either broke or quit.

Jim :coffee1::biker:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Every bike has it's own annoying sound.
The VTX sounds like it has marbles loose in the valve covers.
Just normal stuff.
My Wing is a whiner just like my second wife was.
But I choose to keep the Wing.
I can ride the Wing any time I want with out begging and she doesn't need flowers afterwords.:cool::cool:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts