GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or maybe 2,you've just "had" to ride to or "have" to ride to? Sort of like a pilgramage.
As a resident of the D.C. Metro area, I've been humbled on several visits to Arlington National Cemetery, the Viet Nam Memorial, & most recently the WWII Memorial.
My personal "pilgrmages" have been to LUCKENBACH.Tx & GOULDING'S TRADING POST, outside Monument Valley.
Glad I was able to ride to both of them.
Ride free,
the hobo

·
Registered
157 Posts
An annual pilgrimage to Lynchburg, Tennesse to watch them make Jack Daniels.

A great tour if you've never been there.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
A week's long ride to my favorite State of West Virginia. The State motto is "Wild & Wonderful", and John Denver called it "Almost Heaven" in his song. Heck, if it's "Almost Heaven", then I do not fear death, I mean not now, but when it comes many, many years from now, I'm sure I'll be rewarded with wonderfully curvy roads Up There. I'll settle for West Virginia in the mean time. :lol:

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Scottswing, thats a Ditto for me too! What a relaxing ride... no UPS trucks, no 18 wheelers, just you, the deer, the turkeys and GOD!

YAHOO!!

Shadow1
Hal

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
That Natchez trace is a beautiful and slow relaxing ride. I have been fortunate enough to ride it two times as well.

What Hedo stated is true also.

I almost have to say any ride south of the Ohio river from my house is usually a pretty ride. There are some places between Indy and the Ohio river that are nice, but when you cross the Ohio river it just gets better.

I don't want to forget to mention the areas around Harrison, Ark. and south west of there into Tex. is also a must ride.

Hoping to get to some of those areas this year. Either on theWing or the Vulcan.

Ross

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Since leaving California, I've come to appreciate some of the beautiful riding available there.

The one I really miss is the Pacific Coast Highway between San Luis Obismo and the Monterey Peninsula. I'd really like to get back there someday and make that ride one more time, this time with a greater appreciation as it won't be in my backyard anymore.

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
Smokey's and North GA, also the Shenandoah valley is a great ride...Co near Durango ( wolf Creek Pass) from Flagstaff to Phoenix, there's beauty in every ride... :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Blue Ridge Parkway portions of it 2-3 times a year. A place you can ride with great scenery and relax with plenty of things to do.

Something about it brings the things in life back in perspective.

Very little traffic during the week allows great relaxation or if you want to burn up some black top there is always a side road somewhere to play on.

Seems that even with as many times as I have been on it there is always something new to see or do. I have enough on my list from that area to do I just keep returning.

I purchased a book listing all the hikes to waterfalls in NC we try to hike to a different one each trip.

I think i need to win the lottery so i can retire and work on that list of things to do.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
From western Ky the two quickest to get to with some really awsome riding is the Deal's Gap area (which to me include east Tn, NC, north GA, and north AL) and the othe would be northern AK.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I can't do it -- I just can't do it. I can't pick one place.

Oh, well, if I have to:

Million Dollar Highway, Ouray to Durango, CO
(yes, I know, I'm have a bias)

Close 2nd/3rd/4th/5th, etc:
Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park, MT
Trail Ridge Road in Rock Mountain National Park, CO
Pacific Coast Highway Monterey south to Hearst Castle, CA
Bigfoot Hwy and other roads in that area in NW CA
Ice Fields Parkway Banff to Jasper
Yosemite National Park, CA

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hedo said:
the Smoky Mountains of western North Carolina !!

..........that's some beautiful riding !!!!!

2-3 times a year just isn't enough for me.
I Agree.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Alcan Highway. It starts getting good when you get to BC and stays good all the way to Homer Spit, AK. I recommend late June. It's a good touring bike tour. Not a lot of twisties, but some sneaky corners from time to time and not much real straightaway. Lots of scenery. Sometimes wildlife on the road. A trip you will always remember.

Two "don't miss" side trips in AK - Valdez, and Denali/McKinley Nat'l Park.

For reference it is 4006 odometer miles from Ann Arbor to downtown Anchorage.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Dang Hobo....
You gotta quit hangin' around all them places about dead people. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Just joking...
I find that the older I get, the stronger the "emotional impact"
of visiting those kinds of places.
Now, as for my personal pilgrimages....
Heck, I still get all pumped up when I can take the bike out
just to pick up a loaf of bread. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Morro Bay, CA to Leggett, CA via highway 1 (except for Frisco). My favorite local road is highway 178 to Bakersfield via Lake Isabella, or maybe Pearsonville up 9 mile to Kennedy Meadows, over Sherman pass, up over Portage Pass, Porterville, 190 up to Ponderosa, North Kern river, Kernville, Havilah, Caliente, Mojave, and up 14 to Ridgecrest.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
plenty of good roads out there and i have been fortunate to get to ride many of them because of learning about them rite here on this website

some of my favorites are

Going to the Sun road in Glacier Park Mt

Beartooth pass and Chief Joseph hiway Wy

Deals Gap Nc

Million Dollar Hiway, Colorado

Estes park Colorado

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Italian Stallion said:
A week's long ride to my favorite State of West Virginia. The State motto is "Wild & Wonderful", and John Denver called it "Almost Heaven" in his song. Heck, if it's "Almost Heaven", then I do not fear death, I mean not now, but when it comes many, many years from now, I'm sure I'll be rewarded with wonderfully curvy roads Up There. I'll settle for West Virginia in the mean time. :lol:

Mike
You aren't kidd'in, we visited my Sister and bro inlaw there in Huntington last October. They gave us the Grand tour, I never knew how diverse and what a beautiful state West Virginia was. Twisties galore, beautiful rivers, mountains, waterfalls, lakes etc. etc. etc. We flew in and all I could think about was what a sweet ride it would be thru there. I will be back, probably in April and on my Wing, count on it!! Terry

1 - 20 of 33 Posts