GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding lots of LED lights to my bike - all low current such as 50mA, 250mA and the odd strip at 1A. What wire do people run round the bike for this purpose? I don't mean a bus bar to feed off, but all the short runs from the main distribution point - which often serve just one strip.

I'm looking at "2 x 1.0mm² Flat Twin Thin Wall 16.5 Amps Low Voltage Cable" in the catalog ("Cable Construction: 2 x 32/0.30mm Black / Red"). It seems to be the smallest they have, but without actually fondling the stuff it's hard to know whether that is suitable.

It obviously has more than enough current-carrying capacity, but will it be much thicker and stiffer than I need (which can cause problems where it attaches to the LED strip)? Or is it much thinner than I need, making it susceptible to breakage?

Is it even best to use such Twin cable, or should I buy individual cables and twist a red and black together?

Thanks for any guidance.

·
Registered
108 Posts
How about speaker wire at Radio Shack, then you can "fondle" it to see what appeals to your need ? It has one lead that has a stripe to keep track of polarity. I use that for small voltage needs & have not had any problems.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about speaker wire at Radio Shack, then you can "fondle" it to see what appeals to your need ? It has one lead that has a stripe to keep track of polarity. I use that for small voltage needs & have not had any problems.
Funnily enough, that's exactly what I have used so far – because I had some in stock. But I've run out, and suddenly thought that there must be something more appropriate than speaker wire!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Speaker wire is the Bomb !

·
Registered
268 Posts
28 gauge marine grade wire. Prefer to use this since it is pre-tined and helps keep corrosion to a minimum. I also solder and heatshrink all wire to wire connections.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I mostly use 22 gauge stranded wire. One cable for the + and one for the - to a ground. It is heavier than I need, but I don't want to take any chances with something too thin that can break in a mobile environment. It's important to solder, heat shrink or tape and cover with liquid electrical tape, and use wire ties to keep the wires in place. Moisture and vibrations are not your friends.

Also, the brightness of LEDs can be reduced on long runs using very thin wire, particularly if some LEDs in the lighting unit are connected in series.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts