GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm retiring at the end of 2011 and will be moving to a warmer part of the US. I'm looking for a place that has interesting places to ride and is warm. And btw it has to be warm. No snow. I'd like to ride all year long.

Some place warm.:joke:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Texas:lol:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Georgia, has some good riding, especially North Georgia, Tenn, and N Carolina are only a few hours away with excellent riding

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Seriously, North Florida or North East Alabama or Central Ten. Great riding, close or in the mountain and the beaches or lakes. Alot of road and few people.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
I don't know but I wouldn't come to Florida. In the summer it's only a quarter of a mile from the sun and humid to boot. The mosquitos are so big you'll need a transfusion after one bites you. Then you have the alligators, with their ever increasing loss of habitat they're everywhere. You'll have to buy a new dog at least once a month cuzz they eat them like candy. If you still come, bring a generator. With all the hurricanes you'll need it for all the weeks the power is out. Budget for extra gas because of all the old blind drivers (retirees) you'll spend a lot of time sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Another cost is increased insurance from the aforementioned hurricanes and blind drivers. Lastly, learn to speak Spanish if you're thinking of south Florida, since Cubans and Mexicans are the majority of the population. But do bring your golf clubs, we have the world's best golf courses.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Central Texas. It snowed here a couple years ago. It was a Real Blizzard. Almost covered the Gravel in the driveway. Almosts Couldn't see the grass in the yard. It hasn't rained real good here in over a Year.
I ride year Round. To and From work. The Hill country I beautiful and only a couple hours away. But it will get quite warm in the summer. I like it, but some don't like triple Digits.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I would go ride during the summer months, no matter where you are considering. We spend alot of time at Myrtle Beach, and even there is too hot for comfortable riding during the summer. We've spent several weeks in Arizona, and found the same deal. We were there when temps were in the 110* range, and when you're not used to those temps--IT'S HOT!! Every place in the country has it's good times, but when you're talking about year around, most also have their bad times. I could probably survive in the Carolinas and Georgia, but for 9 months of the year our area works great for me. Winter in the south, or Arizona would be great, but summers in the north are hard to beat. Is having two an option??

·
Registered
334 Posts
As 'OldbikerTom ' says "But do bring your golf clubs, we have the world's best golf courses. "

As a fellow Floridian just trying to help, I should tell you this about Tom's quote...... That's if you love sand traps, as with so many bugs eating all the grass, and with severe water rationing restrictions, the courses look like they are in death valley, with lots of sand and rocks, but no grass or trees.:22yikes:

I think the Arizona would be a great place to retire.

Harry.:lol:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd chime in and say Texas. I'm in east Texas. We have some decent roads, but within a few hours ride there are some great roads. I can go to Oklahoma, Arkansas, the Hill Country, etc. for the day or overnight. Motorcycle events abound. There is something going on every weekend.

Housing is affordable, no state income tax, and cost of living is fairly decent. Plus being retired, in the Dallas area, we have some state of the art medical centers, Univ. Texas Med. Center, Baylor Medical, etc. As additional plus I can watch lots lot's of sporting events, of any kind, any level. And if you travel, DFW airport is just down the road.

We do get hot in the late summer, and a few cool days in the winter, but you can ride year round.

I'm retiring at the end of 2011 and will be moving to a warmer part of the US. I'm looking for a place that has interesting places to ride and is warm. And btw it has to be warm. No snow. I'd like to ride all year long.

Some place warm.:joke:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Retire

The BEST PLACE to retire is The Villages FL this area has to be seen to understand,I sold my car and we use a golf cart and my GL1800 If you are in the area I will show you around. Richard thevillages.com

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Retire

We are activally also looking for a place to retire to. Wife wants to live on a lake. Next week we are travelling to Arkansas, Beaver Lake, Greers Ferry and Hot Springs to look over that area. We have never been there before. We dont want to get too far from our kids though and they all live here in North Texas area. We have also thought about New Braunfels area, but I hear the humidity is terrible there. Oh well, ups and downs wherever you go.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I vote for Florida, Az is to HOT or to COLD and we have been in a drought for 10 years and it looks a desert all around. I know someday we will come out of the drought and then it will rain and rain and if it rains that means it will snow when it's cold and then you'll have to pack up and move to Florida anyways, so save your money and move to Florida first. :shrug:

·
Banned
625 Posts
We are activally also looking for a place to retire to. Wife wants to live on a lake. Next week we are travelling to Arkansas, Beaver Lake, Greers Ferry and Hot Springs to look over that area. We have never been there before. We dont want to get too far from our kids though and they all live here in North Texas area. We have also thought about New Braunfels area, but I hear the humidity is terrible there. Oh well, ups and downs wherever you go.
Check out Hot Springs Village, Arkansas. Mostly filled with active retirees. Lakes, Golf, indoor/outdoor pools.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Arkansas!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts