GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting one as I seem to make trips longer and longer....
Recommendations, best values, ones to stay away from?
Thanx! :?:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Wherever you can grab the deal!

Seriously, Bushtec and Escapade are the two that you find most often although there are some other brands that do stand out well, like Hennigan.

Personally, I like the Escapde because I didn't want to deal with the shock adjusting on the Bushtecs. You have to load it and then adjust the air shocks to a level ride. To me, as much as I respect Bushtec, it's just something I don't want to deal with.

I picked up a used Escapade at a great price from a good friend buying a new unit. If you check out their website, that's my comments on the opening page of the trailer section. I think it's that good. I ran into a flooded area and some major storms riding out to Florida one day. The trailer, loaded up pretty good, was never an issue or a concern during the storm. To me, that says a lot!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Check out Kruzer Alexus. It's made to match the GL1800 perfectly. Some trailers just change the tail lights to match the Wing. But the Alexus is made for the GL1800. Mine should be here next month.

www.kruzertrailers.com

·
Registered
881 Posts
Why I picked Bushtec over Escapade

Actually, you could easily get buy with a homemade with a trailer frame and cartop carrier like several have posted on this BB. My first was a homemade. Trailer frame package narrowed so it wouldn't be wider than the bike. I used 1/8" masonite and a layer of fiberglass to build the box. Later added a cooler rack on the tongue. It had 2 leafs in the spring and I removed 1 because I would never be loading to the capacity it was rated at. Trailer weight = 125lbs. Load usually 200lbs. Total cost about $300.

My second was a Escapade I bought secondhand and had color matched to my 86 Venture Royale. Was a great trailer as far as capacity and pulling. My only complaint was all the space at the front that was hard to pack and unpack because the lid didn't open all the way. At the time, my back was ok, but now I have some bulging disc problems and could not lean over the trailer long enough to unpack that front nose section. I circled the area.

When I traded the Venture in on a 98 GL1500 I trade the trailer in with it. Ordered a Turbo+2 from Bushtec and rode to the factory to pick it up. When I bought the 03 GL1800 I had the Bushtec repainted at a local body shop. Honda just had to change the silver so it wouldn't match.Thats why I picked the Bushtec. I like the style, the suspension thats tailored excactly to the load by air adjustment and its worked flawlessly for me. When you open the top of the Bushtec it is completely open. No crawling in under the lid to get at the stuff packed up front.

·
Registered
51 Posts
one persons opinion. Colorado made by California side car. Best buy for the money Cyclemate. Have pulled both over 10M miles each. Sold the Cyclemate when I had a chance to make a great buy on the colorado. To my knowledge there is nothing wrong with the other mentioned brands. Buy what you and your pocketbook like.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm on my second Bushtec.
Expensive - yes.
Quality - yes.
On the first one I pulled it about 20,000 miles. Never a problem with it. Original tires showed little wear at the end.
Traded it back to Bushtec after 3 years for $2,000 towards my new one.
Been back to the factory and they asked if they could check it out and make any necessary adjustments. None needed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Other factors

Thanx all for the good inputs. What about handling and braking on the Wing? Effect on tire wear? What about the standard versus the swivel trailer hitch? Other issues I need to consider?
Thanx
Bob

·
Registered
218 Posts
The opinions on good trailers runs along the same line as the opinions on which is the best oil. It basically boils down to the individual's choice.

My choice was an Escapade Elite. Looks, reputation, and cost were some of the considerations that led me to make that choice. No complaints so far.

Your trailer choice will impact on the issues you mentioned in your last post -- handling, braking, tire wear, handling. No problems with any topic you mentioned with the Escapade, and I'm sure others will comment the same regarding the other major manufacturers.

I will comment on the swivel trailer hitch - In my opinion it is a must have!!

I laid down and flipped my '03 wing as we started to inter an exchange from one interstate to another. Totalled the wing; minor damage to the trailer (damage to the trailer tongue, cooler and mount). Trailer stayed right side up even as the wing flipped from right side down to left side down.

Now back to Escapade - Ordered the trailer directly from the factory in Virginia. When we picked it up, we met the guys who own the shop and enjoyed a tour of the factory. After the wreck, they quickly took possession and repaired the trailer to "new" status and had it ready for the road in no time. Really good folks!

Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Scotty said:
one persons opinion. Colorado made by California side car. Best buy for the money Cyclemate. Have pulled both over 10M miles each. Sold the Cyclemate when I had a chance to make a great buy on the colorado. To my knowledge there is nothing wrong with the other mentioned brands. Buy what you and your pocketbook like.
I have to ask. What is 10M miles? 10 Mega-miles? That would be 10,000,000 for a combined total of 20,000,000 miles or, in computer terms, 1024x1024x20 = 20,971,520 miles. which would be the equivalent of riding 100,000 miles per year for 21 years. Did you really mean 10K miles each? :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Escapade and Bushtec seem to be the ones I see most in my travels. Being a frugal Pennsylvania Dutchman, I tow a 17cf Kompact Kamp made in Myerstown, PA. I towed their 12cf about 40,000 miles and sold it in '98 when I decided I could take more 'stuff' with me if I had one of their new 17cf Excell models. I have about 50,000 miles on that one and it's still going strong, tracks as straight as an arrow and all I've ever had to do was buy it a pair of new tires last week. They cost about $3,000 less than the Escapade or Bustec, I'm not a name dropper, just cheap :lol: You do have to get it painted if you want it to match your bike. I leave mine white, makes it easier to see. I did spring for the chrome wheels for an extra $100 :wink: This link will take you to the page that shows all his cargo trailers - http://www.inb.net/kompactkamp/trailers.html#trike, take a look - Sue

·
Registered
43 Posts
trailer

Now back to Escapade - Ordered the trailer directly from the factory in Virginia. When we picked it up, we met the guys who own the shop and enjoyed a tour of the factory.

Do you still have contact info. on the factory? I can't find them.
Thanks.
John

·
Registered
276 Posts
I picked up my Bushtec Quantum during Bike Week. I shopped for a little over two months comparing features, quality, reports from owners, and, of course, price. Initially, the Bushtec looks expensive, but when you thoroughly compare the features and quality and standard equipment available, it is not any more money.

Before my wife passed away, she was disabled and utilized an electric mobility scooter. We carried that scooter in a trailer. Due to required size needs my choices of trailers was extremely limited. I ordered a *** brand trailer because it was the correct size. The trailer showed up minus the rear bumper and license mounting equipment. I called the factory and was treated like I was disturbing them. They did ship the missing items, but it should not have been required to make additional calls!

When I ordered my Bushtec, I spoke to John. He was completely honest, forthcoming and did not try to oversell me. He took the time to understand my desires and needs in a trailer and ensured that I totally understood what I was getting.

I picked up my trialer in Daytona during Bike Week. The Bushtec crew was great! They installed my hitch ahead of my appointment time and returned the bike as clean as they received it (something I really appreicate). They took the time to make sure I understood all the aspects of the unit, how to maintain it, and how to load it. Could not have asked for any better treatment!

While I have not pulled the unit any great distances yet, I can already tell a difference in how it handles compared to my prior unit.

Again, the initial price can be scary, but do the research and compare all the features and workmanship. Besides, I am worth the very best!!!

Michael

·
Vendor
22,512 Posts
I have never considered towing a trailer, and probably never will, just because I don't want to compromise the bikes handling any and I like to go too fast in the turns. My approach has been, if it doesn't fit in the saddlebags or trunk, it ain't goin. I don't even have a trunk rack installed, and I have done three week trips, two-up with no real problems (though every cavity was filled.

However, I do understand the need for some folks to pull a trailer, especially if camping. If I were to buy one myself, I think I would go for that one-wheel trailer as it appears to mimick the motorcycle handling the closest. I think it is called the UniGo or something like that. Anyway, that's my two cents.

http://www.uni-go-trailers.com/

Here is an article written by someone who did a Saddlesore 2000 with a UniGo

http://www.uni-go-trailers.com/Saddlesore000.htm

·
Registered
446 Posts
Trailers are a personal thing. :) Lots of great trailers have been mentioned here already. Bushtec seems to be the very best in engineering and customer service. I wanted a Bushtec until . . . . I saw the Quicksilver Tear-Drop Trailer at a "Back to the 50's" street show in Sandpoint, Idaho. As it was, the Quicksilver factory was only 60 miles from Sandpoint in the little town of Troutcreek, Montana. I was so impressed with the product I went to the factory and picked my trailer out. There are four sizes and the next three are sleepers, two of which can be towed by motorcycles. They have independent suspension and are of great quality. And they are also light in weight. Mine has been with me now for over two years and is a member (oops) of the 100mph club. (By mistake of course) :oops: Here is the link to check them out:

www.quicksilvertrailers.com

Good luck in your decision, and happy trailering . . . . . :D

AND I AM GOING RIDING TODAY, CAUSE IT WILL BE 60 degrees YIPPEEEEE!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
John... sent you an email with all the information you need for the Escapade - which is made by California Sidecar. Yes, they relocated from California to Virginia.

Let me know if you didn't get the email.

Steve

·
Registered
700 Posts
Bushtec Challenge

Fred H - In as much as I tend to ride and have ridden more than 1,000,000 miles very aggressively and like you do not wish to compromise the handling of any motorcycle I might ride, I design Bushtec Trailers for performance & handling. All Bushtec trailers employ a Double Independent, Trailing Link AIR RIDE ONLY suspension which is unique in the motorcycle trailer industry. There is not another trailer made, including a single wheel trailer that can out handle a Bushtec!

My challenge to you Fred is simple, if you will visit Bushtec; I will take you to Deal's Gap where I am confident you will not be able to get away from my GL1800 with Bushtec in tow. I would also offer to fit your motorcycle with a Bushtec so that you might have first hand towing experience rather than reporting unfounded criticisms of towing a trailer with a motorcycle. As with most things, all motorcycle trailers are NOT created equal!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Bushtec for the best quality, best value, best standard features, including the suspension and last but, not least, the best customer service.
None of the others can compete with the Bushtec on resale value either.
My second choice would be a Hannigan.
Allen

1 - 20 of 104 Posts