GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to ship things other than the small packages? I've used the USPS for small things up to 5 lbs or so, but anything over that, I'm not sure what carrier is better. UPS's rates scare the bejezuz out of me, and I need to ship a MC front wheel, and the buyer is asking about the shipping cost.
Can the shipping places weigh and measure the package before it gets shipped? How large of a package will the USPS allow?
Steve F

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
All of the major shippers can weigh, measure and quote before shipping takes place.

·
Read Only
853 Posts
You can ship the wheel and tire USPS. You can just cover the wheel/tire with square cut cardboard pieces on each side. then fold corners over and tape together. I then continue taping from side to side across tire. I've bought a set of tires and received them through the mail before. I prefer UPS over Fedex simply because I've never had the UPS driver throw the package onto my front porch like I have Fedex.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
UPS shipping costs a fortune unless you are a business that ships regularly with them. For that reason I like USPS, and yes you can ship a wheel and tire through USPS.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I like UPS because they are close to me, are never crowded, and will e-mail a tracking number to the person that I'm sending a package to.

I once shipped an F4+4 windshield in a LARGE box to another rider for around $22.00 and a helmet in it's big box for around $18.00.

gramps

·
Registered
405 Posts
USPS is the cheapest way to ship maybe a 1/3 less than the other two unless you have an account with UPS or Fedx I have shipped several rear rims through them they also have a box that they might give you that is almost perfect in size that their boxes are delivered in I believe it has a #26 on the outside of the box and if you weight if you will weight it and go to usps on line it will give you a shipping cost a rear wheel if my old memory is right will be around 33 lbs

·
Registered
702 Posts
What is the best way to ship things other than the small packages? I've used the USPS for small things up to 5 lbs or so, but anything over that, I'm not sure what carrier is better. UPS's rates scare the bejezuz out of me, and I need to ship a MC front wheel, and the buyer is asking about the shipping cost.
Can the shipping places weigh and measure the package before it gets shipped? How large of a package will the USPS allow?
Steve F
Be VERY careful in shipping anything to Canada. Fedex charge an unnecessary customs brokerage fee to the buyer that can amount to a large percentage of the value of the actual declared shipment. NEVER use Fedex ground shipping. Always use air shipment to Canada, rather than ground shipment. For some reason, the brokerage fee either doesn't apply or is nominal this way.

My experience in shipping both directions is to use the postal service for shipping (Canada Post or US postal service)...overall, in most instances, it seems to end up the least expensive.

·
Registered
898 Posts
UPS is even worse in my experience. I always ask for U.S. postal service from the States to Canada,never had a problem.

Be VERY careful in shipping anything to Canada. Fedex charge an unnecessary customs brokerage fee to the buyer that can amount to a large percentage of the value of the actual declared shipment. NEVER use Fedex ground shipping. Always use air shipment to Canada, rather than ground shipment. For some reason, the brokerage fee either doesn't apply or is nominal this way.

My experience in shipping both directions is to use the postal service for shipping (Canada Post or US postal service)...overall, in most instances, it seems to end up the least expensive.

·
Registered
702 Posts
UPS is even worse in my experience. I always ask for U.S. postal service from the States to Canada,never had a problem.
Yup...I concur 100% !! If they can't ship by US Postal Service I don't buy it.....I've been stung too many times by this fraudulent "brokerage fee" BS expecially by Fedex. Last package I ordered from the States had a declared value of $98. The Fedex surcharge was $42 on top of that...damn thieves...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Shipping

I sold a Goldwing seat and needed to ship it to Arizona from Ohio. I had it all boxed and took it to them to get a quote and UPS ground was $80 and Fedex ground was $60. I'm sure it depends on sizes and weight for every size package though.

LDM

·
Registered
736 Posts
For years I used DHL which was the cheapest and picked up from the home for free till they stopped ground shipping in the USA, then went on to UPS which I really did not like, so I have been using Fed EX for the past few years. You can just create a account and do you packaging and weighing at home. I never buy boxes, I usually hit the dumpsters at shopping malls ;-)

If you ship to a business you save money and also never have them pick up from your home way to cotly. Just box, weigh, get the dimensions and print out the label at home and drop off at your local Fed Ex. As for tires all you have to do it stick a label in them period. Too simple, if there is a wheel w/ a tire w/o the disc I have just cut pieces of cardboard to fit over the wheel and put packing in the center and tape it up....

USPS here in Chicago I stay away from period!

Steve F

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For years I used DHL which was the cheapest and picked up from the home for free till they stopped ground shipping in the USA, then went on to UPS which I really did not like, so I have been using Fed EX for the past few years. You can just create a account and do you packaging and weighing at home. I never buy boxes, I usually hit the dumpsters at shopping malls ;-)

If you ship to a business you save money and also never have them pick up from your home way to cotly. Just box, weigh, get the dimensions and print out the label at home and drop off at your local Fed Ex. As for tires all you have to do it stick a label in them period. Too simple, if there is a wheel w/ a tire w/o the disc I have just cut pieces of cardboard to fit over the wheel and put packing in the center and tape it up....

USPS here in Chicago I stay away from period!
How come you stay away from USPS in Chicago? If I do go with USPS, I'd be shipping out of the Carol Stream facility.....
Seems to me that UPS and FedEx are too expensive for most folks. I have a new/vintage front wheel assembly without a tire for a CB750 that may be going to New York if the shipping is agreeable to the buyer, so price of shipping is the deal maker/breaker. I need to box it up and get an estimate.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I never buy boxes, I usually hit the dumpsters at shopping malls
I usually go to the liquor store, they usually keep them out of the dumpster. Great for moving too!

·
Registered
81 Posts
fedex are crooks

Yup...I concur 100% !! If they can't ship by US Postal Service I don't buy it.....I've been stung too many times by this fraudulent "brokerage fee" BS expecially by Fedex. Last package I ordered from the States had a declared value of $98. The Fedex surcharge was $42 on top of that...damn thieves...
I sent my navi unit to techdude last year to get repaired and he shipped it back to me by Fedex. They wanted around $120.00 with brokerage fees and taxes because a $350.00 declared value was put on it just in case it got lost while in transit and it was my own navi unit besides. Also I was waiting ever so long to get it I tracked it and it was 45 minutes from my address and never got it till about a week later after me making a phone call. Then they never had the balls to drop it off at my house they dropped it at the post office and when my son picked it up the post office never collected the fees and then fedex kept calling me for the fees but I would not answer their calls back and then they put my name in with the credit collector agency and after many more calls that was straightened out . I always use USPS best way getting items here to Canada never again Fedex

·
Registered
736 Posts
Simple LONG LINES and *orons behind the counter. Even if you package your self and have the label paid for and on the package you STILL HAVE TO STAND IN LONG LINE just to drop off. Fed Ex I have the prepaid label on the box walk in the door and drop off and I'm done. Also in the event of a claim FED EX or UPS are still way better to deal with then the USPS period................

Again just create a online account w/ Fed EX online w/ your credit card, have a scale that is accurate and your in business period , no brainer. USPS at lot or times actually costs more REALLY!

How come you stay away from USPS in Chicago? If I do go with USPS, I'd be shipping out of the Carol Stream facility.....
Seems to me that UPS and FedEx are too expensive for most folks. I have a new/vintage front wheel assembly without a tire for a CB750 that may be going to New York if the shipping is agreeable to the buyer, so price of shipping is the deal maker/breaker. I need to box it up and get an estimate.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
Quite a few years ago I hauled a front wheel and tire strapped to back seat from wi to Arkansas :thumbup:

·
Registered
325 Posts
A few years back I shipped a complete 4cyl. toyota engine from PA to Minn. using "Watkins". All I had to do is drain it and strap it to a pallet, they came with a lift gate and it was gone. cost me $100

·
Registered
453 Posts
Grayhound

Nobody has hit on my favorite for large items. Greyhound, and if you have something that can't be damaged by handling (tire, wheel, maybe exhaust) they do NOT have to be wrapped in any way.

Look into it. I've shipped some big model planes (box 30" square and 60" long) for under $75 across the US.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.