GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
A typical work week in the U.S. consists of Mon. thru Fri. Most powersport dealers are open on Saturday because most other people are off on Saturday. So in order to give powersport employees two days off they take off Sunday and Monday. Makes perfect sense to me.

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
So why did it become common practice that motorcycle shops be closed on Mondays?
Many motorcycle shops are open on Saturdays. Many of us have Saturdays off and enjoy the two day weekend. Motorcycle shop employees enjoy having two days off too! :grin2:

:doorag:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Shops being open Saturday and closed Monday has been common in my area
since I was a kid. That was a looooong time ago.
I got into biking in the 60s. It was common back then.

Reactions: weengers

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Shops open on Saturday to support riding and racing on Sundays. They also want to be open Saturday to sell bikes and parts after Friday payday.

Closed Sundays and Mondays to have a 2 day weekend type thing and a standard work week for the shops.

“On Any Sunday” is a classic bike movie. It’s appropriately named.

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
My shop is a Mon - Fri business ... but then I specialize in only doing one thing. I also don't have to report to cooperate owners who say I need to be an expert on 5 major brands and 210 various models.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Back in the days when the owner - and everyone else in the shop - were actual riders, not just employees.

Besides, I thought some around here don't bother with going to motorcycle shops, and just buy everything else they sell over the Internet these days. :wink:

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Back in the days when the owner - and everyone else in the shop - were actual riders, not just employees.

Besides, I thought some around here don't bother with going to motorcycle shops, and just buy everything else they sell over the Internet these days. :wink:

I had my first job in a motorcycle shop when I was in my 20's. I was a customer there prior to that, so when I started one of the other employees stated to me: "You have now taken your hobby and made it your job, you may develop a different perspective". I wasn't there long enough to have an attitude change. 40 years later, a medical condition forced me out of my current profession, so I took a part time job in a motorcycle shop. It's nice to be able to ride to work, see the latest gear, get nice discounts and interact with (some) other motorcyclists. All the folks I work with and the two owners ride...some are touring riders, some are track day guys/coaches and others are just casual riders.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
<...>All the folks I work with and the two owners ride...some are touring riders, some are track day guys/coaches and others are just casual riders.
:thumbup:

I can think of a couple of places ::cough, cough:: that the owners probably don't ride. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
413 Posts
One of my best friends owned a motorcycle shop for years and told me "Race on Sunday, Rest on Monday". So I always thought that was the reason it started.

Don't know why it continues?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Not all shops are closed on Mondays, at least not all year long. The shop in my former home town is open 6 days until labor day and then only 5 days a week.....closed on Sunday and Monday.
HoursMonday : 10:00AM - 6:00PMTuesday : 10:00AM - 7:00PMWednesday : 10:00AM - 6:00PMThursday : 10:00AM - 7:00PMFriday : 10:00AM - 6:00PMSaturday : 10:00AM - 5:00PM Sunday : ClosedLabor Day: September 2nd ClosedWinter Hours Begin September 3rd

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I remember when I moved to Broken Arrow Ok to take a job in a Motorcycle Shop that was closed on Monday after 10 years of working 6 days a week. It was great.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
The big question: Why is it that every time I need a part from a motorcycle shop, it always on a Monday...... and they are closed!????

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
The big question: Why is it that every time I need a part from a motorcycle shop, it always on a Monday...... and they are closed!????

Ronnie

That sounds like a HD rider.........:yes1:

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I think what bugs me more than them being closed on Mondays is the fact they have really stupid hours. During the week, they're open at 10 AM, and then they close at 5 or 6PM!!?? :shrug: I don't know about you, but I work(ed) during the day. When I get home, I better plan on going to the bike shop right away or I might miss my opportunity. If I owned the shop, I'd make sure that the store/sales remained open by scheduling the sales and parts counter people to overlap to allow to stay open later. The service department can go home at their regular time as long as they have someone available for their service customers to pick up their bikes. WHO expects to make sales during the day on a weekday? They should be available when most of their customers are available to do some shopping. Some dealers are even open on Sundays, although I'm not sure if they're allowed to sell bikes on that day (don't know why that "rule" even exists anyway), but at least customers are able to shop accessories and bikes and get parts if needed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts