GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the dumbest comment made to you, as a Trike Operator, while riding in a parade? I'll get it started with "Hey Mister! When you learn to ride will you lose the TRAINING WHEELS?"

Attachments

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Can't help on this one,,, I don't do Parades !! Clutches cost too much :shrug:

S

·
0 Posts
I don't do parades to often but in general the most common question I get is.
"Does it lean in the corners like a regular bike?"

I have to tell them "no it's like a snowmobile, you lean the bike doesn't"

I should have a tee shirt with that printed on it. Then they would just go to the next question which is - how does it steer? :joke:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Well, if I may invert the question a bit... ;)

I saw a new Harley trike in the hotel parking lot last night.. I walked up to look at it and the owner (to use a charitable work) chubby ******* woman) was there.. I said "nice conversion".. She replied "It's a TRIKE".

She told me she paid $38K for that beast.. Just amazing... She didn't look bright enough to have that kind of money to spend on a toy...

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i started on a tricycle and im gonna finish on one,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well, if I may invert the question a bit... ;)

I saw a new Harley trike in the hotel parking lot last night.. I walked up to look at it and the owner (to use a charitable work) chubby ******* woman) was there.. I said "nice conversion".. She replied "It's a TRIKE".

She told me she paid $38K for that beast.. Just amazing... She didn't look bright enough to have that kind of money to spend on a toy...
Can't read a book by it's cover so they say,,,I read that somewhere during my 9 years of education..... oh,, and I ride a trike :shrug:

·
Registered
889 Posts
i started on a tricycle and im gonna finish on one,,,,,,,,
Me too, Yellow Wolf!! Little boys and old men require three wheels. Others may like three wheels as well, and no one should feel they need to apologize for enjoying the benefits of a three wheeler. In my case, I came to the point where I needed the benefits, and found that I also thorougly enjoy them!!!

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
However, most people that come up to our riding group normally focus on the trike more than the bikes. Most make the comment: "I don't ride, but if I did I would rather have a trike" type of comment. They become fascinated with it more so than the bikes, even if the bikes have all of the bells and whistles. I think it often offends the bikers that they don't get the attention and responding with lame comments is their way of saying..."wish I had invested in a trike, as I will need to go that way someday" ....or they might say: "that is an old geezer machine"...not recognizing that others think the same thing about a goldwing bike. When I had my first trike (2001 Valkyrie with a Lehman kit) and was at the Madison, WI Wing Ding, a gold wing owner offered to trade me in the parking lot, title for title. However, my trike was much more valuable and I had no desire to own his mistake..., I mean his bike.

It is funny how people think trikers need to explain or apologize for riding a trike. They don't apologize for riding a car or pickup or SUV. Trikes, in my humble opinion, look much better and are much safer than a bike when considering road conditions, debris on the road, animal hazzards, etc...so why explain anything. When the common man rides a bike and thinks something is wrong with a trike, it shows a degree of ignorance about the technology, the fun of riding it, and possibly the degree to which it can be handled and enjoyed. Trikers become a breed of their own and don't have to be compared to bikers, just as touring riders don't need to be compared to crotch bike riders. Or unicyclist don't need to be compared to bicyclist. It is stupid...yes stupid!!!!! Again, just my humbling opinion and if you disagree, own a trike first and develop some experience for your disagreement. Otherwise, ...oh well, why try to explain any more?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Balance

Can't you balance on two wheels old man?

To which I reply;

Nope, the doctor told me last year I was unbalanced.

(After my knee was scoped)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I can usually shut them up..

when they make fun of my trike, I tell them it only cost $34,000!
Then they realize what an expensive "toy" I have and shut up in envy.:thumbup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great responses!

I like the one that said" I started out on a a trike and will finish with one.." That is my sentiment exactly. I know I certainly enjoy long rides much more on my Goldwing trike. I have time to see both sides of the road and ride more relaxed than with my "two-wheeler".

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts