GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Lay down alongside the calipers and look.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
IR Harry said:
Lay down alongside the calipers and look.

Inspection mirror and flashlight help a lot too.

Greyhound

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
The ONLY way to check brake pads is to look at them. The OEM pads have a inspection "groove" cut in them. If the pad is worn beyond this groove, it's time to replace them. You need to get down on the garage floor and twist yourself around like a pretzel. A mirror and light will be most helpful. Fine a friend that knows how to check them and have him show you. If they need changing, and you have any mechanical knowledge, it's an easy change. I am a mechanical dumb a$$ and had all three sets of pads changed in less than an hour.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
pad check....

If you do not have rotor covers on front, it is almost easier to remove and inspect. If you put the same pads back in, you do not need to push in the pistons. If you do need to change, you are half way done with the job. I keep a full set of pads on hand so I can change them at any time. A mirror and a flash light is about the only way to do it without taking anything off. I have also used my video camera as I could get it in a position my head would not go and I did not need the mirror and flashlight.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Driving habits dictate pad replacement. What is the average mileage
you guys are driving before replacement?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Roughly how many miles - through normal use- would the pads last?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
springbike said:
Roughly how many miles - through normal use- would the pads last?
My first set lasted 40k.. I've heard of them going as short as 20k.. Mine gave very little warning when they were paper thin :shock: Sounded like a dust squeal but lasted for three days, finally realized that I should look at the brakes.. They were so thin, I parked the bike until the set came in from HDL...
If ya got over 20k, it would be safe to assume that you should have a set on-hand!!

Bill, How long did it take to train your mouse???

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
PunkinWing said:
Bill, How long did it take to train your mouse???
About a week; he'd do anything for a Cheeto. Them Cheeto's are loaded with lard though and he finally had a massive myocardial infarction. He was so big by then I had to bury him in a shoe box.

My front pads last about 30-35 thousand miles. Rear pads? Who uses rear brakes?

·
Registered
21,053 Posts
the front left pads will be the first to wear out because no matter how you apply the brakes the front left ones will do most of the work

take out the one bolt that holds them in and they will almost fall out, if they are still in good shape the other 2 sets should also be good

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Pad life... how about past due at 12K.....

The only set of pads that I have a distance on was past due at 12K. That was the original set on my 02. I have never tracked pad life figuring it had more to do with how many times I started to dive into a turn too hot. Short pad life just ends up being a reminder of frequent minor oops' in the twisties. I think I am getting much better than 12K now.

Also, I wear out all three pair evenly. The only time I had any difference was just before I replaced the rear rotor (remember.... past due?) at about 80K. That last set of pads that rotor saw wore off as much rotor as pad.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Or, those famous words, 'Whats that there grinding noise?? Must not be much, only hear it when I am stopping......'

·
Registered
405 Posts
As I discovered from Fred H's videos, the wear indicator is a rectangular groove adjacent to the backing plate at the bottom of the pad. You should be able to see them if you lie on the ground with a flashlight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts