Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever run any of these...
Kumho Ecsta PA31
Michelin X-Ice Xi3
Bridgestone Blizzak WS80
Michelin CrossClimate+

or any other suggestions for a non-runflat tire?

Tire size? Air pressure? Longevity? Handling characteristics? General likes and/or dislikes?
Any info greatly appreciated,
TIA!

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I don't know about favorites, but I ran a Hankook Optimo 426 for a while. Good tire, comfortable ride, but I had an issue in tight corners. When it got up on the shoulder it would give me a little wiggle. Nothing major, just annoying. Ran mine at 38 psi until I put the RF on.

·
DSI Keeper
9,166 Posts
My favorite non runflat is the KUMHO ECSTA 4X II. I just found out that they are now discontinued. I was able to find some at Walmart for $72 each which is a good price. To me, this tire has out performed all the other tires I have used so far.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Gentlemen!
That "little wiggle" in tight corners would make me pretty nervous on the Optimo H426.
Sure do 'preciate the intell MountainRider!

Murgie, I saw that your runnin' that KUMHO ECSTA 4X II around 46psi IIRC.
Sugar's with me more often than not so I'm runnin' my Riken NRF at 48psi.
I'm like you, only way I've found to reduce sidewall flex is to increase air pressure and since they changed the compound of my Riken from Summer to All Season it "hunts" more. If my Riken wasn't 7+" wide and square as a brick I wouldn't even be considering a new DarkSide.
Think that Kumho would be a good tire two up?
Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I ran the pa31 with good results. Center worn at 15k but, I ran higher psi around 44. Turn in was more effort but, once in it was very good.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks #1Blackbetty!
So far the Kumho PA31 is my lead contender in 195/60 for the increased height (smidge taller than my 205/55) and it's the only one on Tire Rack in that size V rated. Seems logical to me that the higher speed rating would necessitate a slightly more robust construction.
Been a coulpa good reports on it here back in the day (and I admit, I'm a sucker for directional tread patterns>:)).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts