GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After over 40 years of being in the saddle and 9 years of motorcycle drag racing ( Yes on the strip, not the highway..lol) what is the interest in running a tire designed for an automobile on a motorcycle? A trike I could entertain the thought...maybe.... but not on two wheels. I mean this very respectfully to everyone and I'm not trying to stir the pot but do we all see the same picture on this subject... the auto tire does not have the same sidewall design or support needed for higher lean angles along with tread design not intended for dispersing water and maintaining traction. After reading all the hype on this forum I just had to ask... Just know I wouldn't want a rear blowout... and yes I've had a few... only difference with a tire that big was I had the luxury of riding it out on the wheelie bars...lol

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Two of the best ways to answer your question is to do as "eodean" suggests, and then put a CT on your bike and give it a try. Then you will have both knowledge and some experience and perhaps you will understand why so many are running car tires on their bikes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two of the best ways to answer your question is to do as "eodean" suggests, and then put a CT on your bike and give it a try. Then you will have both knowledge and some experience and perhaps you will understand why so many are running car tires on their bikes.
After looking it over at the link provided I haven't seen any info to suggest the tire compound even comes close to a bike tires compound...a auto tire is high mileage.. I get that part but is it sticky enough as I've read about people locking the rear wheel up...I'll have to take your word on this I guess...lol

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have always wondered why they do that also. I think most of them eventually crash and burn.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have always wondered why they do that also. I think most of them eventually crash and burn.
I hope they all survive this safely but I personally feel it's very unsafe for many reasons and from years of racing. The darkside is what they call it...there's a reason for that I'm guessing...lol

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
I think you just

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yep, just need a spoon !!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Might have to do with the fact that motorcycle tires are more expensive than car tires, in general. Seems if the bike manufacturers felt the c/t was of any benefit, that they would install them from the factory?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Log in, go to sub forums, look for darkside and they will answer all your questions.
Once you go wide and black! you wont go back :shock:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Were all gonna die in a fiery crash!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you just
LOL... I was hoping to avoid that. I just needed to satisfy my curiosity as to why anyone would want to change the handling characteristics of a bike weighing as much as a wing and using a tire designed for an auto... that's all

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'm not trying to stir the pot but do we all see the same picture on this subject......... After reading all the hype on this forum I just had to ask...
I would say you knew full well ahead of time it was a loaded question ...........

Plenty of places (other than the general forum) to educate yourself on the subject ...... you may be surprised by the answer you find to your question of MC vs. CT durometer readings ......

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
I would say you knew full well ahead of time it was a loaded question ...........

Plenty of places (other than the general forum) to educate yourself on the subject ...... you may be surprised by the answer you find to the question of MC vs. CT durometer readings ......

I'm not fooling around, I'm going with this baby!

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
I hope they all survive this safely but I personally feel it's very unsafe for many reasons and from years of racing. The darkside is what they call it...there's a reason for that I'm guessing...lol
Kit was teasing ya. Go to the Darkside sub-forum, plenty of good info there, including some from former die-hard darkside haters who finally actually tried one and now swear by them vs. at them.

Called the Darkside because we have strayed from the light of traditional - narrow focused - straight-laced and constrained thinking of conventional reasoning and actually dared to think outside the box. We have ignored the entreaties of those who have firmly announced the world is flat and have boldy sailed forth to determine for ourselves that the world is indeed round.

A CT isn't for everyone, and isn't for all riding styles. But it definitely has more benefits than drawbacks, and is worth researching.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
45 years in the saddle here, including dirt bikes, crotch-rockets, cruisers, touring bikes, and additionally over 2 million miles on the road in cars/vans all over the country. After two test rides on car tires (GL1800), I know I'd never personally put a CT on my bike. In the real world a car tire on a motorcycle may not produce the theoretical danger that you cite due to design differences, but the car tire definately changes the handling "feel" of the bike... something SO sweet and vital on the GL1800 that I'd never do anything to change it! So, why do I tell you all this?

YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET FLAMED ANY MOMENT NOW !!! :duck::duck:

After over 40 years of being in the saddle and 9 years of motorcycle drag racing ( Yes on the strip, not the highway..lol) what is the interest in running a tire designed for an automobile on a motorcycle? A trike I could entertain the thought...maybe.... but not on two wheels. I mean this very respectfully to everyone and I'm not trying to stir the pot but do we all see the same picture on this subject... the auto tire does not have the same sidewall design or support needed for higher lean angles along with tread design not intended for dispersing water and maintaining traction. After reading all the hype on this forum I just had to ask... Just know I wouldn't want a rear blowout... and yes I've had a few... only difference with a tire that big was I had the luxury of riding it out on the wheelie bars...lol

·
Registered
698 Posts
for me it's fairly simple:
1 - available mc tires for the rear of the wing are typically running at or near the maximum load rating for the tire. Keep in mind that most wings on tour are over loaded as well. A ct allows a much better margin wrt load. This is especially true for folks with trailers and packit racks or who ride two up and are not small. I routinely see wings that are tremendously overloaded running on OEM rear tires. Scarry.
2 - ct's wear MUCH better than mc tires. Many run double the life of mc tires.
3 - My ct is a run flat tire. Another very significant safety factor that is not available with mc tires.

Most folks, like me do not run close to the edge in the twisties. For those that do, a mc tire would likely be safer.

It's obviously a personal decision...

cheers

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
thegrtwizard,

CTs are about safety and performance for me, not price.

CTs run lower temps, RunFlat are available, better traction in all conditions especially in the the rain. The lean angle of the Wing is very limited so you CAN'T run a CT over too far. You would be very surprised how well they handle light gravel in a corner.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts