GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a 348 mile leisurely ride today and did something I have never done before.....ran out of gas. I got out in the middle of nowhere thinking that the next town would have gas. WRONG!!! :shock: Slowed down to 50mph and start to chew on my diamond seat with my butt. :x After many minutes of terror I found a town (for you Texas guys, Jewett, TX) with gas. About 200 yards from the pump I ran out of gas but was able to coast into the driveway of the station. Big Red stop 15 feet short of the pump and I had to push her the rest of the way. I can assure you I will never get caught like that again. :oops: I've ridden in West Texas many times where gas stations are far and few inbetween and I always pull in early to fill-up. I should have listened to myself. Oh Well!!!

Now for how much fuel I put into Big Red.....6.793 gals.

Never been sooooo happy to see a gas station.

GOW

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
6.3 is the most I've ever put in
**** :D

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I haven't run it that low. I've put in around 5.1 but that was the most.
I just wish I got 51+ miles per gallon on mine !!!!!
I don't want to run out of gas, but that kind of milage woud be good
On trips I get around 42 to 43

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I like yourself almost ran out of gas coming into Ill. from Missouri two years ago on my way home from Texas. When I finally got to a gas station it took 6.59 gallon to filerup......... Things were getting tight on my seat as well.... I have never been that close again. Everytime I even think about pushing it I remember that day..

Now there was a trip this last fall with Iwing, Ronbein and Polecat along with Steve when somehow I got low on gas first... We pushed it on that one, but I knew that Steve had two gas bottles in the trunk on his 1500 and I would be ok. Now I think the plan was set for Ross to run out of gas and then the others would laugh and give him a rough time. They did not know that Ross knew that Steve had the extra gas with him.... That fill was over 6 gal. but just a tad over like 6.4 :wink: You know that trip still ranks as one of the best ever that I have been on...

Ross

·
Registered
379 Posts
Most I ever put in was 5.7 and I was starting to get worried. Looks like I still had a gallon left.
Pap

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i put in 6.7 something in the texas hill country as well

the map showed numerous small towns, but of course they werent towns at all

i limped into bandera and grabbed the first station i could see

since im not too good at pushing

·
Registered
303 Posts
6.3 and that was close enough to running out of gas for me

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
6.7 once, sure was nice to finally see a open gas station

6.6 a few times but have never ran out

about 3,825 gallons so far

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Charles, What sort of Aux tank is availabel that fits in the Sidebag? Ive only seen the tanks that take up the entire passenger seat.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Joseph,

It is a custom tank. It feeds through the vent into the regular tank and is seemless. If you have seen some of the pictures that pshivers has put up it is the same one.

Charles

·
Registered
269 Posts
6.3 gallons is the most gas I have ever put in the tank.
I have never gotten more than 240 Honda miles on a tank.
I wish I knew how folks got 40 mpg or more.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
6.2 gallons...

when I get above 4500 feet in elevation the fuel mileage seems to go up slightly

F

·
0 Posts
A six-pack of tacos and two chili-cheese burritos from Taco Bell. :shock: :oops: Ohhh, in the Wing...5.95 gallons or about 25 miles from E. That's close enough for me.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
6.6 gallons once, but I was really at no risk as I was in town and close to many stations.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
You stopped 15 feet from the pump! Nice!

Are you a member of Rescue plus? You could of called them for gas lol

About 6 gallons for me

·
Registered
221 Posts
Bought my '02 in Deming, NM and was riding it back to San Antonio (had traded in a '97 ST1100 with a 7.5 gallon tank). Rode past Sonora thinking that I was OK with the gas and a little later down the road got the "low fuel" indicator light. Rode with it on for close to 30 miles until I pulled into Junction and put 6.1 gallons in the tank. I was sweating bullets thinking about having to push 800+ pounds of plastic down Interstate 10.

Ed W.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
6.5 Gallons and that's too close for me.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts