GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the hoop-la about tires... i was wondering how long one can store an unmounted/mounted tire without affecting quality of rubber on a motorcycle tire.. I have a spare rear rim .. and I like to have a mounted tire ready at all times .. just in case... and I am thinking about
buying a set or two to have available if needed..

one more thought ... what is the best way to store such a tire... presently
I have a tire & rim sealed in a large plastic bag...

anyone have any info... I would like to read about it..

cosmic

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I know some people who store tires on garage walls and covered in plastic, etc. But a long time ago I had a friend in the mobile home business and he gave me this info. I DO NOT know if this is true but this is the advice he gave. He said to let the tire lay on the wet damp ground and it will last for years, he has gone back to move trailers that were set 30 years ago and the tires on the ground were good and the tires not touching the ground were dry rotted. I guess the dampness keeps the rubber " alive ". Now as far as other factors go, like flat spots on the side touching the ground I think if you rotated the tire now and then it would be good. I just throw my spare tires ( car and bike ) under my porch in the mud.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
A storeroom for tires should be cool, dry and dark and should be well ventilated.
The tires must be protected from direct sunlight and continuous changes of air.
So I need a well ventilated room that doesn't change air. :lol:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
So how far you willing to ride on these? They were still holding air....I think.....Good tread......So, if there is still gas in the tank, lets go.....

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
With all the hoop-la about tires... i was wondering how long one can store an unmounted/mounted tire without affecting quality of rubber on a motorcycle tire.. I have a spare rear rim .. and I like to have a mounted tire ready at all times .. just in case... and I am thinking about
buying a set or two to have available if needed..

one more thought ... what is the best way to store such a tire... presently
I have a tire & rim sealed in a large plastic bag...

anyone have any info... I would like to read about it..

cosmic
I looked at the Conti site info that DT posted and the parts I would emphasize are...
Don't keep them where they can absorb any chemical traces.
Don't let them be exposed to sunlight.
Too much air flow (a draft) will accelerate the "drying/hardening" action going on in the tire.
Stagnant, non-moving air (allowing stuff to hang in the air, that can contaminate the rubber)
Alternately, sealing a tire in will not allow the chemical byproducts to dissipate away from the tire so they can't cause more deterioration.
Excessive temperatures act as a catalyst to the chemical reactions aging the tire. Cool is better.
An unmounted cycle tire doesn't have much mass and won't distort due to it's own weight unless left in the same position for years and under high temp conditions. Moving them around is good from the standpoint of letting the entire tire be exposed evenly so any external effects are uniform.
The MOST IMPORTANT thing to keep in mind about storing motorcycle tires for long periods is this.
The tire starts to harden and lose it's elasticity and "stickiness" as soon as it comes out of the mold. There is measurable deterioration in months. Unless you are a racer hanging it out to the limit, a year old tire probably won't exhibit any noticeable difference in it's performance on the road. At three years ( a ballpark figure as all formulas and constructions are different ) the shelf life effect is a noticeable factor. Tires that are 5-6 years old (and have been in controlled storage) have definite reduced traction characteristics. Tires stored poorly, or cantaminated, can be downright dangerous.
Bottom line, I don't recommend keeping tires around for more than 3 years max, and only if they are stored properly. And if you are the type to have the same set of tires on a bike for several years, I wouldn't put anything on the bike that was over a year out of the mold.
Tire build dates are on the tires and it's not a bad idea to check what you are buying unless you figure on wearing it out in a few months anyway.
Here's a clip form a site that defines the date codes.
The date code will be three letters followed by three numbers. Ignore the letters, the build date is read as follows: VKD341 = 34th week of 2001. DEB403 = 40th week of2003.
the NASCAR folks will be able to confirm this but I think those people won't touch a tire that's over a few of weeks old. :roll:
Hey folks, the time frames I've given are subjective, based on my experiences, what I've read and having worked with the tire industry in measurement/quality areas. There can be lots of technical discussion about the pros. and cons. but what most of us want is some good common sense, rules of thumb, to help us do the right thing and get on with the riding part.
One last thought... If you are putting tires on a smaller , lighter bike, you will notice the effects of aged tires even more than on the heavy Wing.
A set of 5-6 year old rubber on a 500cc bike can be like riding on ice when you put the brakes to work. :) :)
DC

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Bought a set of Avon's in double aught and just installed them. 6 yrs hanging on a peg in the garage. Just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts