GL1800Riders Forums banner

WHATS THE STUPIDEST TICKET

3K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  Mike L 
#1 ·
you have ever received ???? I was reading some posts and it got me to thinking ( DON'T SAY IT) :D

Once back in '76 I was on my Honda 500T kidney buster, driving through a rich suburb of Rochester, called Brighton, I knew the cops in that town didn't like bikes or bikers so I was on my best behavior but much to my dismay got pulled over any way.

When the nice cop asked me why he pulled me over I said "no clue", he said I was speeding??? I said "WHAT??? HOW YOU FIGURE"

He said (with a straight face) "you where going 36mph in a 35mph zone"????

I took it to court and argued that not even the cops speedo's where that accurate, the judge agreed and just charged me $10~~~~morons

what ticket did you get

#2 ·
I've never got a ticket on a bike....yet

1977 I had a hot rod 67 Camaro.There still was an old fashioned drive in where everyone hung out,and all the guys would "cruise" in,make a circle around the back of of the drive in and back on to the street.
Well...I had to show off one night.I came screaming in,,smoked the tires all the way around the drive in.I did this at least three times until I noticed a county sherriff sitting across the street watching the whole thing.
Needless to say,he didn't see much humor in the whole thing and I got a reckless driving ticket out of it.

G
#3 ·
many years ago I was riding my 450 Nighthawk on a blacktop road I passed a truck and went another mile or so and I saw a guy ahead waving me over...it was a state trooper who saw me in his rear view mirror and said I passed too close to the truck..whatever. I think I paid a $35 fine

#4 ·
'Just' speeding and I think they are all stupid as long as I'm driving safely.
BTW, non driving, a few years ago (35-40), I did get at ticket for 'parking', now that was :oops: embarrassing

#5 ·
After retiring the first time, I was in law enforcement for a few years, there was a misdemeanor charge that I always thought was hilarious, it's "Molesting a standing vehicle", now just let your imagination run wild.....well, maybe not that wild, it boils down to a vandalism charge, but it brings the most interesting visions to mind! :lol:

#6 ·
Tickets

I've had ah few tickets over th years but only three speedin tickets since i've owned th Wing. I was ridin down highway 100 here in TN comin home from Nashville th long way. Well i spotted this group of three riders, & wantin ta have some fun i wound er up ta triple digit land & blew by em. Havin em in th rearview for ah while i rolled off ah little & topped ah hill, who did i see but Mr State Trooper. I got th dreaded blue light special, he turned around in pursiut, i pulled right over. Mr LEO says, you were kinda leadin th pack were'nt you. I say naw i don't even know those folks, as they ride by i'm kinda lookin busted. :eek:ops2: I answer Mr LEO inquiry as to my reason for goin 89 in ah 55 mph zone with, i just love ta go fast. Mr LEO says, i understand, that'll be 124.00 have ah nice day.

#7 ·
Oh so close…

Georgia’s Finest stopped me last Sunday morning. Just heading down the road, minding my own business on a quite Sunday morning. Thinking about what a nice day it was, how I was so damn lucky to be alive on “my baby”, jamming to some good music… did I mention minding my own business? Who do you think pops over the hill in front of me? Oh, yeah…. a State Trooper. The blue lights came on immediately.

Me, being the law-abiding citizen that I am… knew that I was BUSTED!!

As the Trooper was making a u-turn, I was looking for a good place to pull over. I pulled over and he was soon behind me, getting out of the cruiser and heading for me. I shut the bike down, removed my gloves, helmet, dew-rag and ear plugs – then it was “good morning officer”. I was clocked doing 68 in a 55 mph zone. After some pleasantries about the nice bike, safety gear, being careful, going fast makes me more vulnerable to cars puling out, etc… He said that obviously I wasn’t riding a “crotch rocket” and gave me a warning. I thanked him profusely, letting him know that I knew he could have given me a ticket and I really appreciated the break.

Needless to say, I’m watching my speed a lot closer and am thankful that Trooper Boone of the GA State Patrol was in the mood for giving me a break!! He sure didn’t have to.

Be careful out there!!

#8 ·
No ticket but...

Back in '82 I took delivery of a 750 Red & White V-Four Interceptor. First one delivered in No. Calif. It was hot! One Sunday morning going down 17 towards Santa Cruz I took it up to 120 to see how it handled. No traffic at all cause it was like 7 am. A CHP pulled me over. He gets out asked for my DL and so on. Walks all around the bike admiring it and this guy knew all about it which surprised me. Turns out he was a biker and ends up letting me go w/ a verbal warning and his last statement was "I've been reading about these and now I got to go order one". It was a cool machine back then. I'll never forget when I pulled into the parking lot of Alice's Restaraunt up on Skyline Blvd. that day. I was mobbed. It was fun having the first one on the block!

#9 ·
Never got a ticket on a motorcycle but many years ago I was doing around 85 in a 55 when I saw the OK HP but he couldn't get a lock on me till I had got it down to 74. " It had better be a matter of life and death to be going that fast " he said, I responded with " it is", him " Oh really ", me, " yes sir, if you give me a ticket I'm gonna die right here on the spot ". He really didn't see the humor in that statement and I got a ticket.

#10 ·
1971:
I was riding my dirt bike in the the woods near the base where I was stationed.

After a couple of hours, I came out of the woods on the shoulder of a 4 lane road.

A LEO noticed this and issued me a ticket for riding on the shoulder. I pointed out that I had knobbies. No matter.

The judge dismissed the case in a NY minute.

I'll bet that if I was riding on the highway with the knobbies, he would have ticketed for this too.

#12 ·
In 1968,

I was 14 and I received 4 tickets from a Phoenix motorcycle cop after he stopped me. I was riding a Mustang scooter, a Stallion model as I recall. I was never caught on the Salsbury scooter I also rode now & then

Speeding, no drivers licence, no registration , disobedience to a police officer were the tickets I received.

Keep in mind I was in a farm field when I received these tickets. I ran from the cop and tried to ditch him in the field... didn't work ;)

While I received these tickets a friend rode around the field on a moped ( I had sold him). The cop told him to "hang around".

After the cop was finished with me..... he wrote my friend for creating "dust' as he rode the moped. There was a new pollution law on the books.

We had to push the bikes home as the cop watched.

My mom was real PO'd.... BTWay, the tickets were dismissed and my buddies ticket too. The hearing officer had never heard that "making dust" was illegal.

look at the laws we have now for pollution control...... ;)

=== one last thought, in 1970 a buddy was ticketed for running a red light on his bicycle crossing Camelback Rd trying to get to Alhambra High school for class... my buddy was late for school

#13 ·
Speeding Ticket

Back in 83', on the first warm day of early spring about 8 of us took off for a little ride.. We rode around town for a while and then decided to head down the interstate. Being it was the first real nice day to ride in a while, the futher we went the faster we went. (we all rode Honda CBX's, 1100 F's or 900 F's and one 900 custom) Well, we came up on a long stretch and just had to air them out. We reached speeds of 130 - 135 (fast for back then) and backed out just before a reaching a hill. As we backed out a GA state trooper topped the hill coming at us. Needless to say he quickly turned around and came after us. Knowing better than to run, we all pulled over and got off our bikes. As we got our helmets off two more troppers came flying up to the scene. We were clocked at 90 in a 55... The officer that clocked us said he had expected us to run, thats why he called the other troopers in. Since the group pulled over and didn't give him any trouble, (we said Yes Sir and No Sir many times during the stop) he wrote us all a ticket for 74 in a 55. We still had to appear in court and pay a hefty fine, but we were just happy he didn't catch us two miles earlier. By the way, it was a long ride home that day doing 55 mph and a ticket in your back pocket.

#14 ·
Ticket

In late 70s, on the 1st nice spring like day in March, got the bike cleaned up and fired it up for the first ride of the year. Took off from a local light and nailed it for about 4 blocks. At the last minute saw the cop about 2 blocks away light up his bubbles. I knew he had me, so just pulled over. It was a local cop and he asked me what the hell I thought I was doing speeding up the local street. I looked at him and said, " Officer, it is the 1st nice day since December of last year, I just waxed and washed the bike, and I guess I just lost my F**king mind coming up the street". He looked at me and laughed and said, " that is a real original excuse", slow down and have a nice day." :lol:

#15 ·
I picked up my new wing at the dealer on Tues. Left for a trip on Wed. Got back form that trip on Sun. Mon.afternoon I had to go back to the dealer for something for the bike and on the way home I was on a 4 lane highway. I had the cruise set at 75. (HS70). I came up behind a semi and pulled out and passed him. As I got in front of him and looked over I realized I was also passing a state trooper. I never let off until I was clear of the trooper and then I turned on my signal and pulled off. Of course the trooper also stopped. He looked the wing over good and asked some questions about it. Said to be careful and he took off. He did mention the speed but never elaborated on it.

Now for the stupidest ticket. When I was a kid, about 35 years ago, I was arrested for speeding by a jealous cop. I was not speeding at the time. He and his wife were getting a divorce and I was letting his ex use my car. I was actually dating her sister at the time. Anyway he stopped at work one day and asked that I not let her use my car. He was trying to get custody of their kids and he was trying to prove she could not properly take care of them. Being myself at that time I told him what I thought he could do with his idea. He let me know I would pay for it. He arrested me a week later. I was going to fight it but it would have made things real sticky for his ex. She paid the fine to keep it out of court.

#16 ·
I was stopped by a city cop for 40 in a 30, on my Kaw 750. He must have been having a good day, as he just gave me a warning. But, the stupidest ticket I got was in the 80's, driving my 66 Mustang. I was on a country highway in a lightly populated area, doing just over 80, when I met a state cop going the other way. I looked in my mirror and saw him turning around. I kept going, looking for a place to hide. Unfortunately, all the corn had been picked in the fields, and the terrain was FLAT.

I finally pulled over next to a corn bin, and he pulled up behind me. I was in his car as he was writing me a ticket for speeding, and he had already called in my license info. I heard the reply come on the radio that the license sticker was expired, and in plain sight of both of us. He never said a word about it, although I was going to tell him that I had sent in the renewal, which was the truth.

#17 ·
I was stopped going 60 in a 55. The typical "you were going 60 in a 55" and as soon as I asked the trooper "don't you have anything better to do" he pulled out his pad and pen. Not the best approach but the most stupid was 2 tickets for 20 over by the same cop on the same street, who would have known he would stay there for three hours.

#18 ·
stupid tickets

In 1968 I, and a couple of friends went to the ocean about 400 miles away from home to party. We left the partying at about 1 in the morning to head home, me driving my 66 mustang, well 5 minutes out of town I got a speeding ticket. That was not to stupid. Three hours later going through another town I got another speeding ticket. That was kind of stupid. Got home later that day and took a short nap. Got up and went for a drive that afternoon and you guessed it I got another speeding ticket. That was downright stupid. Three speeding tickets in one day is really stupid!!

#19 ·
Ok, I gotta chip in....

Last year I was headed to work late (11:00p.m.) and about one mile from where I work I had pulled off of the freeway and up to the main drag at a stop light. A car next to me had a young punk in it revving the engine, inching forward, just ticking me off. When the light turned green, and you 1800 riders know, I launched, back tire squeeking, front tire in the air about a foot and I was gone. All I did was redline first and let off of it when I hit second, BUT... I managed to get to 40mph in a 25 in that first gear. There was a state trooper right behind me at the light and I didn't notice him. Of course I got the blue light special and pulled right over. When leo asked me what that was back there, I replied STUPID! I then told him I wanted to show that punk a little what for. He talked to me about the bike for a few minutes and then let me go with a warning. Whew.... The Goldwing gods were with me that night.

#20 ·
Meesh's' cousin is a NYS Trooper. He works Rt. 81 between Binghamton and Syracuse. Steve is a straight shooter and a generally nice guy. NYS provides him with one of the souped up Camaros as his patrol vehicle.

With Steve, you are guaranteed a ticket, if you give him guff, tell him who you know, "ask" for a professional courtesy, or you have been drinking or drugging.

One day while on patrol, he pulled over a speeding sport vehicle, doing 90 in a 55. Steve secured his vehicle, called in the tag, and went to the drivers window. As the driver rolled down his window, Steve asked for his license and registration. Immediately, the driver says to Steve, "don't you know who I am"? Steve's reply was, "No Sir I don't, but I will as soon as you give me your documents" ! Needless to say the well known actor, Martin XXEEN got a little present from the State of NY.

#21 ·
When I was younger I had a Kawa KZ1000 that we built up for racing. This thing was fast!! I got onto the Interstate and lite it up, got about 3 blocks and saw the trouper sitting there under the bridge. He didnt even pull out so I thought I was home free. Got off the Interstate and parked the bike in a friends driveway, trouper pulled up and gave me a ticket for 145mph in a 55. That was the last time I ever rode that bike on the street.

Some years ago my sis called me, she had cleaned out her house and had loaded all the junk in her pickup. She didnt know haw to get to the dump so I offered to drive, well I got a ticket for "uncovered load" cost me 80 bucks and 3 points off my license. She never said a word while the cop wrote out the ticket. I had to pay it, I no longer drive pickups to the dump.

#22 ·
Dumb Ticket? Beat this...

When I was a youngin' in CA(1972) I got a two tickets... on my 10 speed!
One for running a stop sign but the other I treasured.
I got a speeding ticket!
Doin' 42 in a 30 zone. Me on my Schwinn and my buddy on his Peugeot both got hauled into traffic court with our Dads, who had to take a day off from work. We got a one hour lecture from the Judge on the dangers of not obeying the "rules of the road" and had to pay a $25 fine. My Dad sure was mad at me.
We can laugh about it now.
I proceeded to get 7 speeding tickets in my car all before the age of 20.
Then after moving to NY and settling down, I've only had 3 in the last 30 years.(Haven't slowed down much, Just haven't been caught)
8)

#23 ·
A couple of years ago 4 of us from this board (all on GL1800s) were in Daytona for Bike Week. We are all 45ish, Christian men just riding around seeing the sights. Going the speed limit or less. Riding very responsibly while all around us are the young and drunk idiots riding on one wheel, speeding, pipes blasting, and so on. Well one or our group gets pulled over for, get ready for this....... not wearing eye protection. He's on an 1800, behind a barn door windshield and gets a $10 ticket for not wearing goggles. The kicker is that we had just pulled out of a swap meet where we all bought some sun glasses or goggles. The cop saw our guy with the new goggles hanging from his tee shirt and pulled him over.
Life just ain't fair sometimes.

#24 ·
Way back in 1981 I was in the Air Force and stationed in Rantoul IL. Those that were there know how the LEOs treated us GIs.

The story: I was stopped for an expired license plate. I told the LEO that I had the new sticker at home but that it had been too cold to get it to stick. I know, why wasn't it in the car? Any way he also caught me with a dead drivers license. I had leave scheduled in a month and had planned to get it renewed. All this cost $40.

After my leave I got this nasty letter demanding $XXX to reinstate my Illinois driving privlages or surrender the license. I nicely told the folks in Springfield that since they didn't issue the license they couldn't take it away. The nice lady told me that I would never drive in IL again. I told her I would be leaving soon and never return. I rode a bicycle for 3 months. End of story? Not a chance!

About 3 years ago Alabama started requiring an endorsement for boats. I applied for one. All states were required to be connected to the national registry at this time. I got another nasty letter stating that my DL had been revoked due to some problem back in Illinois. Well, I paid the fee. I expected to pay interest but it only cost $40.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.