GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled my handlebars off and can't find my Reg Riser install instructions. What's the torque value on the handle bar bolts for the REG Risers? I know it's 20 ft/lbs for stock... is it the same for the REG Risers?

As a note, mine were installed in 2004... I think there's a new "adjustable" version out and I don't know if the torque spec changed. I have the old ones, not the new ones.

Thanks!
8)

·
Registered
261 Posts
According to what I have it says in the instructions (Step 5) ... tighten the forward bolts to 40 ft/lbs and the rears (with the square nuts) to 55 ft/lbs.

Check every 5000 miles

HTH

FF

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks FF, but those values seem high to me. Can anyone confirm them?

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Soloquest said:
Thanks FF, but those values seem high to me. Can anyone confirm them?

Reg Ultimate Wing Wedges
Instruction sheet
Quote: Item 5. Once you select a position, tighten the forward bolts to 40 ft/lbs, and the rears (with the square nuts) to 55 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
soloquest,

How would you feel if I asked a question and YOU went and looked it up? After you posted the answer I said ... well that doesn't seem right.
Kind of makes one loose incentive to help out dude!

FF

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Freddie, I'm not discrediting you or trying to stir you up... no ill will intended. You may be absolutely correct... and please don't let my indecision keep you from helping others that ask questions.

It just seemed to me that those torque values were high because they are more than twice the torque of the manual specs. I figure... even though a REG Riser is installed between the handle bars and the top brace, the hole that the bolts screw into hasn't changed, and I don't want to take a chance and over torque them and strip them out.

That's just me making sure. I don't want to mess something on my bike up and take longer to put it together than I'm already looking at. You know the old saying... measure twice, cut once.

I appreciate your reply. I just want to double check.
:wink: :D

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
:lol: You can (you better) double check on me anytime!

I just went out to the garage and could not find my Reg destructions either. I do not recall the spec, but I would have "guessed" in the area of 20# and I do recall having used blue Loctite because no way am I gonna check them every 5,000 :roll: I have checked them and they stay tight, but the ones through the handlebars tend to loosen up and those got the blue treatment last time. Solo, looks like you have a check and a confirmation.

prs

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
FastFreddie said:
soloquest,

How would you feel if I asked a question and YOU went and looked it up? After you posted the answer I said ... well that doesn't seem right.

FF
I with ya on that F.F. I went to the trouble to dig up my instruction sheet and give an exact word for word quote from it to help a brotha out and he disses you and disregards our replies, whatevah!! :evil:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I hold no animosity toward soloquest. He owes it to himself to make sure. There might be a differene between the torque values of the old and the new Reg risers.

It's that IF you think I am full of $hit (and I am a lot of time) don't tell me after you ask for help!

And thank you Teaser 1 for your support!

FF

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Soloquest you are correct. I too thought those numbers seemed high and just looked up my instructions for the original REG Wing Wedges.

Here is #4 of the original REG instructions:
Remove the left handlebar and install the proper riser with the letter "L" (for left) facing rider and the narrow end forward. Use two socket heads screws with no washer in the countersunk locations to attach the Wing Wedge to the triple tree, torque to factory spec (20 ft/lbs) and then install the handlebar onto the Wing Wedge using two more socket head screws with a single washer each (torque to 25 ft/lbs)
And that is what it says word for word mis-spellings, (socket heads), underlinings and all.

Hope you didn't follow these other guys instructions, you were careful to point out that you had the old ones.

Wonder why the torque specs changed?

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Soloquest said:
As a note, mine were installed in 2004... I think there's a new "adjustable" version out and I don't know if the torque spec changed. I have the old ones, not the new ones.

Thanks!
8)
Teaser 1 said:
FastFreddie said:
soloquest,

FF
I with ya on that F.F. I went to the trouble to dig up my instruction sheet and give an exact word for word quote from it to help a brotha out and he disses you and disregards our replies, whatevah!! :evil:
He specifically mentioned that he DID NOT have the newer adjustable risers and you gave him those instructions anyway. Seems he was RIGHT to question your info and you shouldn't have gone to all that TROUBLE to help a brotha out. It was no TROUBLE for me to dig mine out cause "He ain't heavy he's my brotha" :lol:

Lighten up guys. :roll:

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Oh man, I just read the first line and the rest about being the old one did fly by. Jumped to the wrong conclusion, thats so me. Sooooo this means I'm the bad guy or the ______? OOOOOOOOOOOOOkkkkkkk sorry, my bad call. :oops: :oops: :banghead:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Nice retraction Teaser. :yes1: :yes1:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Guys, instructions are correct. The stock spec is maintained for the risers to the stock threaded handlebar locations, but the 40/55 lbs are for the threads into our aircraft alloy risers and for the nut/bolt part of the adjustment. They are higher because the alloy and fasteners are a higher quality than the cast triple tree on the bike itself. In other words the fasteners and risers in our kit are of higher quality (an therefore can handle a higher torque spec) than the stock Honda pieces. Would you want a product that was weaker than the stock tree and handlbar material.....or stronger?

Also, even though the stock torque spec for the triple tree bolts are lower than we specify on on the top bolts that thread and fasten the handlebar to our handlebar riser itself, there is a built in safety in-so-much that the bolts that are screwed into the triple tree are captured underneath the bolts with the higher torque specs. What does that mean? If the stock torque setting fails, the bolts cannot back out. Very solid engineering.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts