GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first air filter change out yesterday and I have a 'left over' plug. I have disassembled the air filter cover (ECM, Cruse Module, etc.) again to get a better look at things and I don't see the mating connector. The bad thing is that now when the ignition switch is on the headlight doesn't come on and the engine won't turn over. In fact the only thing that seems to work is the trunk release from the key fob.

This is an '08 ABS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just checked the manual. It appears to be the CB Transceiver B (optional) (3P-NAT).

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
It's the plug for the CB.

·
Registered
948 Posts
:agree: Just helped a friend install a cb on his '08 and that where we plugged it in.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
There are two plugs that hook up the Electronic (Engine) Control Unit on the left side of the air filter air box. You do not need to remove these to get the air box cover off the bike but you may had disconnected these to make it easier. Even if you did not remove them, you might have wiggled them loose enough to cause them to lose connectivity. Those are the best bet to inspect in order to solve the problems you are describing. Not having the audio system hooked up will not cause your bike not to start or your headlights to not come on with the ignition key inserted.

Another possible source of your problem is the connector from the ignition switch itself. All of these Honda connectors have snap interlocks on them to keep them from wiggling loose due to vibration. It is possible that during assembly, one of these were pushed together enough to make connection but not enough to fully engage the locking mechanism. I would go through all of them in the vicinity of where you were working and listen for a "click". If you want to be sure, unlatch all of them and reconnect them until you hear them latch. Good luck on your troubleshooting.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Remote starter module plug or CB connect plug

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't think that I unplugged anything from that connector but I thought that a 'senior moment' may have gotten the best of me.

I'll start checking the other connectors for the 4th time to resolve my electrical issues.

One other thought. I was very careful when removing the ECM from the bike (per the service manual instructions) so no static charge would zap it. Would a damaged ECM give me the no horn or head lights or starting symptoms I'm seeing?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Check your fuses. There are are a couple of 30 amp and a 60 amp. They are square and don't look like the others. If you look in the parts fiche they are shown with the wiring harness. I think they were labeled main A and B. I blew one when doing the air cleaner by bumping the wire from the ignition switch. Got a spark so I figured I had a blown fuse. Maybe you did the same and didn't notice it. I don't know anything else that would kill the ignition and the horn other than the fuse or the battery.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Well that was the only thing I got right today. By the way I bought a couple of them and put them in the trunk as you can't get them anywhere but Honda and they never have them in stock.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Now you have the question as to why the fuse blew.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What if

the battery is taken off for about a week or so? Got mine apart now for fork seals, air filter, coolant hose check, and other stuff,,, Took the battery off so I might not blow fuses or other bad things I usually do....What will be lost if anything?

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
The pink 30A fuse was blown.

Thanks to all that replied. :joke:
Wait a minute. You aren't done yet. Fuses don't just blow by themselves. And considering that this is one of the main fuses, you really should try to find out why it blew.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The fuse popped when I disconnected one of the plugs. I must have shorted out two pins. Took a look at the connector and there might be a slight discoloration on one of the pins but no damage. Everything works as intended and the issue was definitely caused by operator error rather than harness damage or corrosion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts