GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
It's just there to kick the air away from the corner of the fairing. You'll probably never notice it's gone.

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
As I understand it, it's supposed to deflect the wind so when you're riding the wind won't pop the engine side cover off. If you're not going to replace it, I'd recommend attaching a string/chord to the side covers so you don't lose them going down the highway. There are posts on here somewhere on ideas for this - maybe the "How To" forum.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I understand it, it's supposed to deflect the wind so when you're riding the wind won't pop the engine side cover off. If you're not going to replace it, I'd recommend attaching a string/chord to the side covers so you don't lose them going down the highway. There are posts on here somewhere on ideas for this - maybe the "How To" forum.
WHOA! Smartest man around here!
It's called (ready?) A Spoiler. $4.93 from Partzilla

·
Registered
7,965 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I second the notion that it keeps the side covers from getting blown off.

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
"what it is its good for; absolutely nothing!"

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
It is to prevent air from finding its way into the crack and under the engine cover making it fly-fly-away..... Air flow likes to follow the surface it is against and that includes around corners to some degree. Without anything kicking it away from that crack between the two parts, it is more likely to get a good puff trying to shove itself into that crack.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
excellent suggestion here: I lost one my self, and was lucky to be able to replace it with a crashed Goldwing last season................I like the idea about attaching a cord...Hmmmmmm

Thank you
Ronnie

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have attached 100-lb fishing leaders to mine. They loop over the frame and you can insert the clip through one of the bosses on the back side, as they have little holes drilled through them. Takes a few seconds.

I actually replaced one of those missing spoilers when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, apparently Honda's exhaustive wind/rain tunnel testing concluded that they need to be there. Maybe they figured it would make a good online topic some day.
The order's in...in any case I hate looking at open holes.
Thanks for answering.

·
Vendor
16,404 Posts
Well, apparently Honda's exhaustive wind/rain tunnel testing concluded that they need to be there. Maybe they figured it would make a good online topic some day.
The order's in...in any case I hate looking at open holes.
Thanks for answering.
Good for you !!! Here at JustWings I replace many that missing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks for this thread! I've had one missing on my 05 since I bought it used 5 years ago. I never knew what it was called and couldn't find it on the parts fische. Now to decide to spend the big bucks or not. Seems I've lived with only 1 for 5 years and could never tell the difference between the right and left side of the bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts