GL1800Riders Forums banner

What's This Thing Good For?

2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Captron 
#1 ·

Not much, I hope. Just broke one off.

See less See more
#6 ·
As I understand it, it's supposed to deflect the wind so when you're riding the wind won't pop the engine side cover off. If you're not going to replace it, I'd recommend attaching a string/chord to the side covers so you don't lose them going down the highway. There are posts on here somewhere on ideas for this - maybe the "How To" forum.

#12 ·
It is to prevent air from finding its way into the crack and under the engine cover making it fly-fly-away..... Air flow likes to follow the surface it is against and that includes around corners to some degree. Without anything kicking it away from that crack between the two parts, it is more likely to get a good puff trying to shove itself into that crack.

#15 ·
I have attached 100-lb fishing leaders to mine. They loop over the frame and you can insert the clip through one of the bosses on the back side, as they have little holes drilled through them. Takes a few seconds.

I actually replaced one of those missing spoilers when I bought the bike.

#16 ·
It's a spoiler. So it either drafts air or rain.

#18 ·
Good for you !!! Here at JustWings I replace many that missing.

#20 ·
Thanks for this thread! I've had one missing on my 05 since I bought it used 5 years ago. I never knew what it was called and couldn't find it on the parts fische. Now to decide to spend the big bucks or not. Seems I've lived with only 1 for 5 years and could never tell the difference between the right and left side of the bike.

#24 ·
I just went out and looked at mine..I never even noticed it before, and if you've read many of my posts you will know that I'm a wash and wax foolohlic (actually it rained yesterday/so out to the garage I go with a can of wax and cloth in hand..............Oh' yea can't forget the head phones w/ my fav Led Zeppelin blasting away............

Ronnie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.