GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While removing my front end, I discovered a mistake I made when I did an earlier installation. Can you find it? Here's a clue: I made the mistake while putting on the lower cowl.

|
|
|
|
----------------->

See it yet?

Here's another clue and a closer picture: I did it after I installed the EC Fog Lights.

See it yet? C'mon, it's easy now!

Here it is.:

While putting on my lower cowl, I pinched the wire from my EC Fog Lights between the cowl and the bolt hole. I remember even being carefull about that when I was doing it... tucking the wire up behind the cowl. But it must have slipped down anyway.

My lights still work fine, so I guess the wires weren't pinched. But I will cut and re-splice this and wrap it up all neat, and probably wire tie the harness up so it doesn't happen again.

I'm finding a few things "awry" while my bike is apart. It's a good Idea to do a close inspection of things when you "gotter broke down".
8)

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Not trying to toss salt at you,But I have been a believer in using ty-wraps for a long time.they keep things where they should be -out of harms way.

Glad you found this before it became a issue to you,and it will show others to carefully tie those electrical wires securely.

Thanks for letting everyone see your pictures. 8)

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Floyd,
You know Lewis includes several zip ties for just such an occasion. :D

I'm glad you didn't have any failures because of it.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I can see clearly now!

Well since the bike is undressed.

Yup those wire ties work. However if we are fishing wires with the bike fully clothed, the clear becomes "Oh chit".

Good on ya Solo for doing a full inspection while you have the bike gutted and splayed.

Now will that thing be up and running by Cats-Cade?

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You better believe it Bulldog!! I hope to have it up and running by next week. (still got alot to do). But I suspect Alpster and I will probably make a "test run" up to Woodbourne long before Cats-cade... just to make sure it still works... :lol: :lol: and to groom my campsite to ensure a nice even, flat and comfy plot to pitch the condo.
8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts