GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm confused.
Is there anyone out there that can explain this and how this is possible?

I read the local rag today about two new laws on the books here in Wisconsin for the upcoming snowmobile season.
One was there is now a night time of 55 mph, and.......get this......their setting a 88 decibel limit on all snowmobiles
manufactured after July 1, 1975.

Now...... you might be wondering were this is going so I'll get to the point.

Why is it so EASY to implement a 88 decibel rating on snowmobiles when the public and law makers turn their ears to loud pipes on
cycles operated when the weather is mild and more of the public spends time outdoors?

Am I missing something here?..............Anyone?....... :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Federal EPA noise restrictions for motorcycles is 80 decibels.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Ya think?

You're not alone...Every state, county and municipality are ignoring loud pipes laws.

Our local County Mounties have aftermarket pipes on their Harleys. Claim they need the extra couple of horsepower...Horse patootie.

This is one of my pet peeves...Either enforce the laws or take them off the books.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I got a response on this board from one of the LEO's that if nobody complains they don't enforce the law.

That means if I kill someone and no one complains its OK?

Whatever happened that if the law is on the books it is enforced?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
trialsman said:
Our local County Mounties have aftermarket pipes on their Harleys. Claim they need the extra couple of horsepower...Horse patootie.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

And the big wing on the back of a Honda Civic gives it critical downforce... :lol:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
It's the same with the "new" gun laws and the illegal immigration laws. If you just enforce 100% of the laws we now have, we wouldn't need new laws..

I would watch to see if soon they put a restriction on loud pipes in the federal forests across the country. The more HDs and others the market sels the more loud pipe bikes there will be. I can remeber a time when once in a while you would hear a loud pipe go by, but now on a nice day it is continuous. The only time I see a LEO with a sound meter is when some poor teenager who has invested more money into the stereo than he has in the car...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
dchance said:
I got a response on this board from one of the LEO's that if nobody complains they don't enforce the law.

Regarding loud pipes - that law is somewhat enforced in Tucson but, due to a lack of sound measuring devices required by the court, there is little enforcement.

Most people seem to focus on speeding tickets. Would you like a speeding ticket for doing 36 in a 35? Or would you like the cop to give you some slack and wait until you are doing 45 before ticketing you? Police are given discretion in the laws they enforce. Are you single and living with the opposite sex? You can be arrested for that. That law was on the books in AZ until recently. Do you want that one enforced? There are not enough cops out there to enforce all of the laws. And if they did enforce all of the laws to the letter you wouldn't like it.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
wing-renter said:
dchance said:

Regarding loud pipes - that law is somewhat enforced in Tucson but, due to a lack of sound measuring devices required by the court, there is little enforcement.

Most people seem to focus on speeding tickets. Would you like a speeding ticket for doing 36 in a 35? Or would you like the cop to give you some slack and wait until you are doing 45 before ticketing you? Police are given discretion in the laws they enforce. Are you single and living with the opposite sex? You can be arrested for that. That law was on the books in AZ until recently. Do you want that one enforced? There are not enough cops out there to enforce all of the laws. And if they did enforce all of the laws to the letter you wouldn't like it.
The type of laws you're referring to, don't hurt anyone, and are leftovers from a different age. Living together was more of a sin in days gone by, but seems to no longer hold true. Going a couple mph's over the limit is another; a good flow of traffic. But...aggravating noise will always be aggravating noise. I can hear loud pipes as they go through my town, and I'm 5 blocks from the highway, and I continue to hear them as they head out of town.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Ok, I'm confused.
Is there anyone out there that can explain this and how this is possible?

I read the local rag today about two new laws on the books here in Wisconsin for the upcoming snowmobile season.
One was there is now a night time of 55 mph, and.......get this......their setting a 88 decibel limit on all snowmobiles
manufactured after July 1, 1975.

Now...... you might be wondering were this is going so I'll get to the point.

Why is it so EASY to implement a 88 decibel rating on snowmobiles when the public and law makers turn their ears to loud pipes on
cycles operated when the weather is mild and more of the public spends time outdoors?

Am I missing something here?..............Anyone?....... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Mike, I suspect the law was inacted for one reason. Your state is quite a bit like Michigan. When the river's freeze snowmobilers will ride up and down them all of the time and at all hours of the night. And where I live there is a few night spots shall we say where they all hang out. Well ? After a few they will go out and race on the river. Soooooo imagine living on the river and trying to sleep at night ? They really came down heavy around this neck of the woods. As a matter of fact, it got so bad they put a barrier up across the river. Theyt left small openings on eigther side so you could get through, but you wernt going through fast !........ :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Wing-renter, your response does not fly. There is a difference in using discretion in enforcing the law and just ignoring a law. Also when the law enforcement agencies themselves violate the law it becomes impossible for them to enfore said law.

I am told by my CHP friends here in Calif. it is only a fix it ticket which is just a waste of time because a person can put the original pipes back on and have the ticket signed off. I was under the inpression that it was a violation of EPA laws to modify any emission control device of which your exhaust system is a part. It should be a violation of Federal emission standards with a huge fine.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Could it be?

raw2210 said:
Could it be that Wisconsin turns their head because Milwaukee is the home of HD?
This is part of the problem.
If there ever was a crack down on loud pipes, Milwaukee would not be in agreement.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
There are plenty of jerks that put loud pipes on snowmobiles too. But at least in the winter all of the doors and windows are shut.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
dchance said:

Or what about this?

I break into your house, but I work real hard and clean up your living room.
Because I "Contributed" to your house, I can claim that I belong in it. Now you gotta let me stay, feed me, give my family medical care, educate my kids, and let me protest while carrying a flag from the country I used to live in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts