GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to SAFELY find out what my new '07 Wing is mostly capable of on top speed today. Road was dry and clean, 3 lane highway, little traffic. Still in "play mode" with my new 1 week old toy. Had her up to an indicated 130 m.p.h. today with what seemed like a little more left in it. Smooth and stable even with the stock shield fully raised. Not bad! I'm thinking an HONEST 120 m.p.h. is perfectly attainable. Anyone else explore the outer limits of the 1800's top speed potential?

And please, no lectures or the old "if I wanted to go fast I'd have bought a sport bike" , or "why would anyone go that fast on a public roadway?" blah, blah, blah.... Not asking anyone to approve of this. It's done, I'm still here in one piece, no tickets, no jail time, all is well. 8)

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
That's about it Steve.. I've heard as high as 134 (indicated) 120 is about right (true).. At those speeds, the last thing you should be doing is staring at the speedo long enough to split hairs.. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
My 07 shuts herself down at 137 indicated. I figure that's an honest 125. My 03 would shut down at 133. Really not a big top end, when you consider hayabusas and like machines do 187 before shuttin down.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I had my 02 up to 127 per my GPS,and was with a fellow that still has his 131(I think) recorded (QD you know who you are :twisted: )on his GPS.His was a yellow 02.
I never looked to see what was on the speedo,I was too busy watching the road,and that damn yellow bike in front of me!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. If I wanna go with some real decent top speed I'll jump on my 03 XX. It's good for about a true 177-180 m.p.h. Fast 'nuff! :roll: 8)

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Steve Smith said:
I had the opportunity to SAFELY find out what my new '07 Wing is mostly capable of on top speed today. Road was dry and clean, 3 lane highway, little traffic. Still in "play mode" with my new 1 week old toy. Had her up to an indicated 130 m.p.h. today with what seemed like a little more left in it. Smooth and stable even with the stock shield fully raised. Not bad! I'm thinking an HONEST 120 m.p.h. is perfectly attainable. Anyone else explore the outer limits of the 1800's top speed potential?

And please, no lectures or the old "if I wanted to go fast I'd have bought a sport bike" , or "why would anyone go that fast on a public roadway?" blah, blah, blah.... Not asking anyone to approve of this. It's done, I'm still here in one piece, no tickets, no jail time, all is well. 8)
Right at 137-138 m.p.h. indicated on speedo, not much top end for a bike but just torquey enough to make it fun while gett'in it up there.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
138 indicated and 131 on the GPS twice !!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Has anyone with a 70 series rear tire ever tried it. It would be interesting to see what difference the larger rear tire would make. :roll:

·
Registered
537 Posts
gets to 125 in a blink of an eye.,,,,,,, then it takes a little bit longer
to sneak up on 133..... that was tops fer me.... and nice and smooth
too ;-)

luv my baby 8)

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
125 mph on the Garmin 2610 GPS , two up.

the track log on the GPS show'd 126 mph.

:sparkplug:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
One time for curiosity sakes on a good four lane divided highway with no exits or entrances for about four miles. I let it roll and the Iway showed 128 MPH. I never checked the speedo and wish I had. That will probably be the only time I ever open it up.

Ross

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
wingman57 said:
65 for me.. :22yikes: ..I like to smell the roses!

mutter, mutter, old blankety blank, mutter, mutter, geiser on two wheels, LOL :p I hope you at least get over enough for real riders to pass by and get on down the road. :roll:

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
over 130 a few times but i don't think i've been past 120 since having those 2 expensive deer accidents in one year

P

·
0 Posts
Mine is 132 on the speedo, I had throttle left but no more gas was fed to the engine so I guess the fuel pump had max'd out. 5600 rpm's.

Pat

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Geeze

I was curious also about the 70 series tire. I had two runs of 131 MPH on the GPS and then when I put a 70 series on it, I went to the same road and tried it again, 126 MPH on the GPS running a 70 series, Does slow you down a bit,

JMHO 8)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts